Have I blown it?

Porridge

I feel as if the universe must hate me. I discovered two sentences were obscured by a graphic in my writing sample. I didn't notice because I was checking the page numbers not the end of sentences when I was collating my material.

This writing sample has already been delivered to all but one institution. What a waste of money. Is it worth saying anything or not draw any attention to the mistake.

I would definitely contact the institution and explain the issue. I doubt admitting your mistake would count against you more than them discovering it on their own, and there's a chance they'll let you submit a fixed copy.

:( don't be so self defeating. There's really no harm in asking and the administrators in charge of admissions will likely not pass on info about your mistake, even if they do not let you correct it. Give it a try!

Honestly, it seems to me like completing the applications altogether is half the battle. So pat yourself on the back for having done that much already!

Adjust your defeatist attitude a little bit, friend. If you're getting so bent out of shape over something like that (which as dendy suggested, could be easily fixable, especially as it's simply a formatting error), then your ego might be in for a real beating once you actually begin the program itself.

I'm already in Graduate school, so I do know the environs. This is me, kicking myself. I am a perfectionist. Where I can, I have emailed a request. That I have done, and I whatever I can or cannot do, it is now out of my hands. Thanks for listening.

I really don't think this will be such a big issue. If it's your writing sample (how long is it?) I don't think they will be looking at it extreeeemely closely... It would be a different story if two lines of your SOP were obscured. Honestly, it would be stupid for a program to disqualify you for something like that if they are attracted by you and your ideas. Plus they wont look at the sample until later on in the game when you already have their attention...

My SOP is fine. The sample is 24 pages (including bibliography). Everything else is fine. I'm just so frustrated. And exhausted.Thus far, two places have allowed me to make changes. Do you think it's worth mentioning anything to the insitutions where I made snail mail applications. The problem is, I'm not sure whether the errors have applied to those applications since I'm not sure where the PDF conversion problem occurred.

Also, I am an international so I find it a little confusing as to who I should directing my inquiries to change this: the Graduate Admissions or the Department in question.

Edited by Porridge

I agree with Turtle that it probably isn't as big a deal as you are thinking right now, but I also know how crushing something like that can be after working so hard on apps. Try calling the Admissions Dept. and see if they will help you remedy the situation. I had a similar experience last year- I wrote some e-mails and got no responses, but when I finally got some admissions people on the phone they were extremely helpful and let me submit corrections. Good luck!

I didn't... this year is round two for me. I made the wait list at Yale (actually the very university where I made my application mistake) but, alas, no one gave up their spot.

Glad you've had some success in sorting your problem out! Best of luck to you!

You should learn Russian! It's a hard language, but worth it (to answer your question: I'm not Russian). I'm sure there are lots of online courses but I can't vouch for the quality of any of them. Your best bet is to audit an undergraduate course once you're in a PhD program.