Any Other Slavic Applicants This Year?

Ablukhov

Hi all, I'm also applying to Slavic Linguistics programs for the fall. Happily I've already been accepted to one program, but I'm not sure that will make waiting for my other decisions any easier.

Hi all, I'm also applying to Slavic Linguistics programs for the fall. Happily I've already been accepted to one program, but I'm not sure that will make waiting for my other decisions any easier.

Congrats!! Was that Toronto? 

Today is the official day that most applications close. That means the review process for some schools is finally beginning/occurring :) 

Congrats mambeu! I can't believe you've heard back so early!

Thanks! I can't believe it either. My advisor (also a LOR-writer for me) earned a PhD in Slavic Linguistics at the same school that accepted me. Maybe that helped fast-track my application?

Congrats!! Was that Toronto? 

Today is the official day that most applications close. That means the review process for some schools is finally beginning/occurring  :)

No, Ohio State.

I still have to take the Russian proficiency exam for Washington, but aside from that everything's been submitted on my end. It's just the waiting game after that.

Wow that was fast! Congrats.  I'm still waiting on Ohio State for Slavic Lit. One of my LOR's got his PhD in Russian Lit/ another focus on Polish lit there. When did you get your app in?

I just took the proficiency exam for Washington a few days ago. I got all apps in, just finishing up FLAS apps.

Edited by Eidda

Wow that was fast! Congrats.  I'm still waiting on Ohio State for Slavic Lit. One of my LOR's got his PhD in Russian Lit/ another focus on Polish lit there. When did you get your app in?

I just took the proficiency exam for Washington a few days ago. I got all apps in, just finishing up FLAS apps.

I submitted my Ohio State app on the fourth and got an acceptance email on the eleventh. I was very surprised to have a decision so quickly. I thought I wouldn't hear anything until March.

I'm going to take the Russian exam for Washington this Friday.

What Slavic languages are you interested in? I plan to focus mostly on Russian, but I want to learn Polish too (it's my heritage language).

Wow that was fast! my application has been in since mid-late December. My main focus is Russian language and 19th-century Russian lit (romanticism and realism) I would also like to learn Ukrainian and possibly a West Slavic language such as Polish (also had a big romantic movement).

Are you coming from undergrad or do you have an MA already?

Edited by Eidda

Nice! I'm currently packing for Moscow. Hopefully returning to, spending time exploring and studying in Russia will help pass the decision-waiting time.

Edited by Eidda

This is my second time studying in Russia (first time was St. Pete) I'll be in Moscow through mid May. Excited but not ready for the cold, eh.

Oh goodness gracious.  I'm suddenly so worried that I didn't apply to enough schools.  For undergrad, I was accepted everywhere I applied.  I haven't experienced academic rejection yet.  Now I've become superstitious - it's time I ran out of luck.  I could have spent so much more time and effort on my applications.  I should have taken the GRE again.  Shoulda, coulda, woulda.  I fear disaster.

This is the only place I can cry! (Half serious, half ridiculous and dramatic.)

- Karen

I'm still worried I didn't apply to enough as well! I only applied to one school (Early Decision) for undergrad so I'm also not used to this whole waiting thing. I keep telling myself it will somehow work out. 

As of right now, if I don't get in anywhere, my back up is teaching English in the Kyrgyz Republic... It's a bit of a crazy idea, but I'm in a crazy state!

That's a pretty awesome back up plan!  But let's be optimistic about getting in somewhere anyway!  :)

Positive vibes for this forum!!!

All best,

Karen

Got my first acceptance! No word on funding yet, that's to come. At least I know I have a future!

Super huge congratulations! (Every post on this thread is so exciting.)  Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it one of your top schools?

Run a victory lap either way!

- K

Congrats on Indiana Eidda and Mambeu! That's great news!

I also have good news- I got an invite to the interview weekend at Berkeley over the weekend! I couldn't be happier!!! 

Good luck to everyone- hope the good new keeps coming on this thread!

Edited by Ablukhov

Congrats on the interview, I haven't heard from Berkeley yet, but I did receive an email and a call from two schools saying I'm at the top of the applicant pool and should apply for a FLAS ASAP. So that's somewhat hopeful :)

Edited by Eidda