Any Other Slavic Applicants This Year?

Ablukhov

The FLAS essay depends on the school, I've done five so far and all vary. Yeah, a school called me last night 1am my time (I'm in Moscow) it woke me up but eh, it was good news.

Does anyone know whether or not interviews for slavic applicants are typically conducted in Russian, or partially in Russian? I'm having trouble figuring out if the purpose of the interview is to test the applicant's language ability or to simply get to know the applicant better and see if they are a goot fit.

Thanks

My understanding (from the experience of some of my friends, since I've yet to have my first interview) is that they are primarily conducted in English, although you might also be asked to meet with one of the language instructors to assess your fluency level. 

Does this mean you have an interview renwod? I hope so! 

Congrats. I still haven't heard a word from Berkeley...never mind checked the status... First rejection

Edited by Eidda

Yes, congrats to the Yale admit!

I'm a bit confused because I was invited to visit campus after my Skype interview- and I'm set up to go next week- but I haven't heard anything about admission/rejection from them yet....Have I been uninvited? I definitely don't want to waste a day off visiting a school that plans on rejecting me. What gives Yale?...I sense some really awkward e-mails coming up.

Hello everyone! It's nice to have discovered this forum. I've applied to UChicago's Slavic languages and literatures programme, with the intention of following the linguistics track, if accepted. My background is in Russian, but not at all in linguistics, so it's going to be an extremely steep learning curve for me if I'm accepted. Their website says you can expect to hear back from them "in the first half of March", so of course I am counting down the days until March begins. I'm amazed at how many schools people have applied to here and wondering if I didn't hedge my bets too high by only applying to one. What motivated you all to apply to the programmes you chose? For me, it was the research underway at Chicago and the range of languages they offer. 

Does anybody know how many students each programme typically admits? It seems to be very difficult to find this out. Maybe my Google skills aren't at postgrad level yet! Or does it vary from year to year? Not that this knowledge helps in any way (and I refused to think about it during the application process), but it's still interesting. 

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted so far and good luck to everyone who's still waiting for that call/email/letter! 

Ian. 

Hi Ian.  Here are some stats to check out: 

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/university-of-chicago-division-of-the-humanities-department-of-slavic-languages-and-literatures-000_10033276.aspx

(UChicago's Slavics program admit info)

Edited by karent

Hi Karent! Thanks for that info. Although I did feel a bit like I had a bucket of ice poured into my stomach on reading that six out of fifteen were admitted... Well, nothing I can do about it now!