Any Other Slavic Applicants This Year?

Ablukhov

• 3 weeks later...

Yo Slavic friends, has anybody studied Belarusian before? I'm planning on picking it up to do some research in the future. I realize that it is not widley taught, so I'm looking for resources to learn it on my own.

• 7 months later...

I mean this was last year's application thread. I'm on a MA/PhD track at Indiana if anyone has any questions. 

I do, actually. I haven't had a chance to get out to visit Indiana at all - I was wondering what led you to choose Indiana over other programs you were accepted to, and what do you think about the program so far?

• 6 months later...

I have been following your posts and wanted to see if any people that applied to Slavic linguistics could answer a few questions.

I know there are not too many programs in the U.S in this field...I found about 6 PhD programs

Would 6 schools be enough to apply? I know this depends on a lot of things but on average is that a good number?

-If you've applied for this PhD are you planning to teach in slavic departments or linguistics?

-Why did you choose SLavic instead of general linguistic department?

-If anyone knows of any good programs in Canada please let me know. Can we get funding in Canada like in US?

• 3 months later...

Any Fall 2015 applicants alive out there? If so, for what are you applying and to where? 

Anybody from the past have any comments about Slavic lit departments?

Good luck to all out there

• 4 weeks later...

Any Fall 2015 applicants alive out there? If so, for what are you applying and to where? 

I am applying to a few Comparative Literature programs, and my language background is Russian (as are my POIs). I applied to Comparative Literature at Brown and Emory. 

I am applying to a few Comparative Literature programs, and my language background is Russian (as are my POIs). I applied to Comparative Literature at Brown and Emory. 

Comp Lit (Ukrainian, some Russian) here too! 

• 2 weeks later...

Applying to Slavic doctoral programs- finished the apps all kind of up against the wire. Michigan, Illinois, Indiana for me.

I'm definitely nervous- I have a mediocre undergrad GPA and a thin resume balanced against a high GRE and a masters in another field. We'll have to wait and see if the statement, writing sample, and letters sway me toward victory!

Good luck to everyone else this year.

• 2 weeks later...

someone posted a USC Slavic admit on the message board. Congrats! Any info on how the offer came? they are part of the complit program yes? 

I have been accepted to USC. They sent me email with the offer. The Dep. also is in the process of separating from Comparative Studies in Literature and Culture.

• 3 weeks later...