PhD in Industrial Engineering/Operations Research Fall 2013

shiraziaseel

Hi, I am also applying for IE PhD programs.

Here is my application info: 

UGPA: 3.78 w/ summa cum laude from international school 

GGPA: 3.89 from top 10 IE program w/o thesis

GRE: 730/800/3.0

1/2 year undergraduate RA with conference proceedings

now involved with a research project, also conference proceedings in progress

Pending: NW, UMN, UF, SUNY UB, UA, USF, Toronto, TAMU, TTU, UPitt, UWisc, ISU

Interview: Oregon State - Campus visit offer, UTD - Information Science, Interview offer
Admitted: NCSU - admitted, funding will be notified later, FSU - admitted unofficially w/ full funding RA

As you see my list, I have applied for some safety schools to increase my chance to get financial aids. 

And I got one from FSU. Even though FSU does not have good reputation in IE, I was so fascinated by a professor there.

After several talks with him and tests, he decided to support me w/ RAship. So happy.

Edited by Uche

wonderingHi, I am also applying for IE PhD programs.

Here is my application info: 

UGPA: 3.78 w/ summa cum laude from international school 

GGPA: 3.89 from top 10 IE program w/o thesis

GRE: 730/800/3.0

1/2 year undergraduate RA with conference proceedings

now involved with a research project, also conference proceedings in progress

Pending: NW, UMN, UF, SUNY UB, UA, USF, Toronto, TAMU, TTU, UPitt, UWisc, ISU

Interview: Oregon State - Campus visit offer, UTD - Information Science, Interview offer
Admitted: NCSU - admitted, funding will be notified later, FSU - admitted unofficially w/ full funding RA

As you see my list, I have applied for some safety schools to increase my chance to get financial aids. 

And I got one from FSU. Even though FSU does not have good reputation in IE, I was so fascinated by a professor there.

After several talks with him and tests, he decided to support me w/ RAship. So happy.

I am wondering, why you have not applied for better schools, like: Berekely, columbia, virginia tech, georgia tech, or USC. I believe that you could have been admitted to at least one of these programs . . .

Uche, regarding FSU, I don't think they even have their own engineering programs. Florida A&M offers all the engineering degrees.

Anyway, congrats. NCSU, though, is overall much better, depending of course on what research area you want to focus on.

Edited by efh0888

I am wondering, why you have not applied for better schools, like: Berekely, columbia, virginia tech, georgia tech, or USC. I believe that you could have been admitted to at least one of these programs . . .

There are several reasons;

0. Money does matter for my case, w/o funding I won't go. Some programs such as PSU very very rarely offer aids for international students at the first year.

1. Stipend from some universities such as Berekely, Columbia, Stanford, USC is not enough to cover living cost. I will bring my wife here

2. I have analyzed past admission postings since 2003.

And I found that applying for Stanford, Berekely, USC, Princeton, MIT ORC would be waste of money, even if I could somehow support my family 

Those were collected from many websites including here, chinese sites, korean, indian, etc... 

3. Some programs such as GaTech are very strict in GRE AW. I verified it by asking them (coordinator/prof.) directly.

There were some exceptional applicants, but those all have many papers and had connections to professors in the program they applied for.

4. Austin, Rutgers, VT, UW require me to submit TOEFL, I didn't want to retake it.

5. I don't stick to programs overall reputation only.

NW, UF are top in optimization research / NCSU, TAMU are good overall / UWisc, UPitt, ISU, UA are great in their specialties / UB has a big guy

/ UTD - PhD in Biz, no doubt, it's great / TTU, USF, OSU, FSU are safeties for funding

I feel like those schools are enough, but I forgot to apply for UNC... too sad hahaha....

Uche, regarding FSU, I don't think they even have their own engineering programs. Florida A&M offers all the engineering degrees.

Anyway, congrats. NCSU, though, is overall much better, depending of course on what research area you want to focus on.

Thanks, I hope to get aids from NCSU. Its great program in manufacturing/Ergonomics specialty.

FSU-FAMU engineering program is 70%~80% of FSU and 20~30% of FAMU. Most of students in the IE program are enrolled in FSU.

They're are collaborating, but their admission and degree system are separated. 

Edited by Uche

Not all of them, only half. The rest will be sent on Monday, and if you haven't received the email today saying that your application is still being processed, I guess that  you've been rejected (even though you will be notified only next week). I'm in this case too, which I don't particularly appreciate given my master's GPA at Columbia and the fact that I've been performing already several months of UNPAID research for them.

Considering the mass rejections from the Columbia IEOR PhD that have occurred since Feb 4 (i.e. no one has been posted as admitted since that initial posting of acceptances), I suspect that you're incorrect. Sounds like you've gotten a pretty rough deal. Were you doing the IEOR masters? I've read that they don't like to take PhD students from that masters.

Any idea when would the admission results be released for MIT, stanford, Princeton and berkeley?

According to previous years, Stanford and Berkeley admissions should arrive this week. I received an email from MIT when my application was complete stating that decisions will be made early February, so MIT results should also come this week. I don't know about Princeton.

According to previous years, Stanford and Berkeley admissions should arrive this week. I received an email from MIT when my application was complete stating that decisions will be made early February, so MIT results should also come this week. I don't know about Princeton.

shiraziaseel, Princeton is still reviewing applications, my friend checked on it by phone call.

Edited by Uche

Considering the mass rejections from the Columbia IEOR PhD that have occurred since Feb 4 (i.e. no one has been posted as admitted since that initial posting of acceptances), I suspect that you're incorrect. Sounds like you've gotten a pretty rough deal. Were you doing the IEOR masters? I've read that they don't like to take PhD students from that masters.

Yep, from that master's, and I knew that already. Each year, they take one or two of the best students (most often, students who have around 5-6 A+ and A for the rest) and reject the rest. Problem is, given the serious issues of academic integrity at Columbia IEOR, those students are sometimes (NOT ALWAYS, and I know the admitted student this year is definitely EXCELLENT) those who spent the year copying the solutions from the solution textbooks (that they got illegally, obviously) and memorizing the exercises that will be on the exam (and there are sometimes serious leaks on that side). Plus, some students are favored in the grading process by CAs and TAs from the same foreign undergrads as them, and in the application process by powerful professors who give priority to applicants who share the same citizenship/language (and honestly, that's how I got admitted in master's in IEOR at Columbia) - you will understand what I mean if you look at the list of PhD students in IEOR at Columbia. 

About the admissions, they've sent rejections from tuesday until yesterday, and they have added people to the waitlist yesterday; the decisions were not complete on Feb 4th. 

I am also curious about Stanford and Berkeley (especially the latter one) too. Does anyone has any news? 

Buckeyeee, thanks for the info! I am anxiously waiting to hear back from the top schools like Berkeley.

Did you go to OSU for undergrad? Did you apply for their PhD program?

Not a problem. Actually I didn't do my undergrad at OSU and I did not apply to OSU PhD program. I'm waiting for top schools as well and it's really stressful as you say. By the way, congrats on your OSU admission.

If you applied to Northwestern, go check your status now! 

I was denied admission, which I expected, seeing as they harp on and on about the importance of having gone to a top-tier college, which I did not do. Sad but expected. Hopefully some of you will be admitted! :)

Edited by efh0888

Anyone got news from Minnesota?

Someone has posted acceptance from Minnesota and another one has posted acceptance from Gatech. It seems that Georgia tech has started to send acceptance notifications . . .

If you applied to Northwestern, go check your status now! 

I was denied admission, which I expected, seeing as they harp on and on about the importance of having gone to a top-tier college, which I did not do. Sad but expected. Hopefully some of you will be admitted! :)

A view decision link hasn't appeared for me yet (NW). I was contacted by the graduate director two weeks ago and was asked to send him certain documents that would help them make their final decision. I asked him to give me a week to prepare them and sent him the documents last week. Apparently they're still considering my profile.

A view decision link hasn't appeared for me yet (NW). I was contacted by the graduate director two weeks ago and was asked to send him certain documents that would help them make their final decision. I asked him to give me a week to prepare them and sent him the documents last week. Apparently they're still considering my profile.

I hope you get in!

Someone has posted acceptance from Minnesota and another one has posted acceptance from Gatech. It seems that Georgia tech has started to send acceptance notifications . . .

an IE PhD admission to UMN was listed on the list, international, no more information

Thanks guys~