Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

Anyone heard from anywhere yet? I applied to 14 schools and have so far gotten an interview request from UPenn and nothing from anywhere else. I have no idea whether other places have started requesting interviews-- this seems really early. I'm starting this thread so that we have a record of when schools start communicating with applicants. Post your interviews/acceptances/rejections for Neuroscience programs!

I applied to 11 Neuroscience and 2 Biomed programs and haven't heard anything yet. Someone said on another thread that Vanderbilt IGP sent out 2 rounds of interview invites on Dec 5 & 10 (I think). Congrats on the interview at UPenn! I applied there as well. I know a couple programs (like UCSF) say that no one will be notified until January, but maybe they just say that to keep people from calling to ask. All I know is that the waiting part really sucks.

I've applied for 7 neuroscience programs. Harvard was the only school that explicitly said to expect an interview request before Jan 1st (otherwise you've been rejected). Frenetically refreshing my inbox...

Congrats on your interviews! I haven't heard back from UPenn either :(. Hopefully they're coming out on a rolling basis, since they send acceptances on a rolling basis. I think we're going to have to keep refreshing our emails into January, and scramble together an interview schedule for February...

Hi guys, glad to find this thread. I am an international student from South Korea (went to college in the states though), applied to 13 neuroscience programs for this year admission.

Congrats to OP on upenn! I also applied for penn and haven't received anything yet :(

I got a little bit weird email from Harvard, that I have passed "initial stage" of review, and they want to set up a Skype interview before full admission meeting. I was wondering if this is equivalent to the interview invitation: because it is possible that they offered Skype interview because I am overseas (currently in Seoul, Korea). I asked them about this, and said willing to attend the interview weekend in January, if this Skype chat request is identical to interview invitation.

Good luck to you all!

The only neuro invites I have heard of so far are from UPenn, and now the strange Skype request from Harvard... I also had problems finding any hard deadlines except for the Harvard page.

Does anyone have a good idea of the number of applicants in these, for lack of a better designation, top 20ish programs?

Sorry for the crossposting, but since it came up on 3 different threads, I hope it's ok. Emory is notifying people by phone today and will invite a total of 40 people

Hi guys, I just received an invitation email for interview from Emory Neuroscience.

And I confirmed with Harvard that the Skype chat is NOT a formal interview. They are still in the process of narrowing down top applicants, and this is one of their process for international students. They will send out the invitation letter starting Dec 21, and said I should expect rejection if I don't get a letter by christmas.

HS2013,

regarding your question about the idea of number of applicants in the top programs, go to

http://www.princeton.edu/gradschool/about/docs/ratestable/tablea/NEU.pdf

I applied to Princeton. Princeton is kind enough to reveal all numbers regarding admission. This should be a good start.

But please be aware that Princeton is relatively small-sized program- neuroscience program is relatively new, and still quite overlaps with psychology department. Big programs such as Stanford, Harvard, MIT should receive a far more applications....

@ryancho Thanks for the link, I also applied to Princeton (hope to see you at interviews!). Good luck on your Skype interview. Have an oscilloscope ready for the background.

I noticed Duke neuro also posts some statistics: http://neurobiology....uate/stats.html

For those who have not seen it, there is also a spreadsheet with some statistics from 2006... no idea how things may have shifted since then. http://www.nap.edu/r...record_id=12850

Does anyone have something else I can add to my anxiety with?

Edited by HS2013

Congrats to all of you that got invites! I'm so happy that this thread exists :)

I applied to 10 programs and have heard from 1 - NUIN (Northwestern). I was SO excited to get the phone call. But now I am kind of bummed because I'm still waiting to hear from UPenn and Emory, both of which are high on my list. Fingers crossed...

Do you know if they leave a message or switch to emailing if they can't reach you by phone? I am going out of the country...

So UW has started sending out invites... I used pretty much the same SOP for UW as UCLA, and, in a literally last minute rush to submit the application by 3 AM (EST) on December 1st, I accidentally left a "UCLA" in one sentence of the version I sent to UW. A few days later, when I discovered the error, I requested the opportunity to fix it but received no response. Do you guys think this kind of error would be enough to do me in? I imagine that the adcoms would overlook this for a qualified candidate, but they might still feel slightly offended/think I have poor attention to detail.

I am also waiting on a UPenn invite. Penn is kind of a reach for me, but I just had a paper accepted to psychopharm on Saturday, and the principal editor is one of the professors I would like to work with at Penn. I’m not sure exactly how the grad app review process works at Penn but does anything think it would be beneficial to send him an e-mail thanking him for the papers acceptance? And if I do send an e-mail would it be appropriate to hint at talking to him if I get an invite?

Edited by SMcrumble

@SMcrumble: I think it's definitely a good idea to send an email to at least make sure the editor connects your application with the paper he just accepted for publication. A bunch of schools tell you to feel free to contact them after application submission, and you actually have a legitimate subject to talk about.

@zperson, congrats on WashU! When did you submit the application? I know that WashU is a rolling basis, the earlier you submitted, the earlier they review your applications. I submitted one day before the deadline (Dec 1st I think)...Hope you did not submit later than me!! :)

I am starting to give up on Penn....