Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

The "Results Search" page says something slightly ambiguous. For one of the UCSF interview listings, the note is

• Told that all interview offers for this year were emailed out by admin person

This sounds bad, but there's an alternative (and unlikely) interpretation that all interviews offers will be sent by an admin person (as opposed to a faculty member). Can someone confirm the negative interpretation? Can we consider ourselves rejected if we have not yet received a UCSF invite?

Edited by mccamel

The "Results Search" page says something slightly ambiguous. For one of the UCSF interview listings, the note is

This sounds bad, but there's an alternative (and unlikely) interpretation that all interviews offers will be sent by an admin person (as opposed to a faculty member). Can someone confirm the negative interpretation? Can we consider ourselves rejected if we have not yet received a UCSF invite?

Saw this and thought the same thing. I was slightly confused. I think he/she means that ALL invites were already sent out, since the decision says "other." Not hearing from them by now means we'll probably be rejected, but don't assume anything until you've gotten an official decision. :)

Edited by stmwap

I was told by the end of the week things would be sorted out... No confirmation though.

Cool, thanks! They didn't reply to me at all but that might be because I told them I don't need airfare...

@dendy, Lisa responded within 5 minutes of me sending the date. Hmm.

It basically was just a link http://bms.ucsf.edu/recruit_feb or http://bms.ucsf.edu/recruit_jan depending on which one you chose.

Oh wait.. I did BMS neurobiology, so probably a different contact person :o

Edited by zperson

@stmwap I haven't heard anything from OHSU yet. I called them yesterday and they said didn't send out invites yet and are still making decisions. The anticipation is KILLING me. I really hope I get invited.

Genuine congratulations to everybody who is receiving interview requests this week. Kudos!

But for those of us who have struck-out (like me), is now the time to throw in the towel? Or do schools send out waves of interview requests. Do I need to start figuring out alternative plans for next year!?

For reference, I've applied to Upenn, UCSF, UCLA, UWashington, UChicago, UMichigan Ann-Arbor, Emory, and U Boulder Colorado. From what I can gather, all but Colorado has sent out interview invitations already. Anyone have any insight?

@kmb268: I don't think UCLA has sent out any interview requests yet, so you've still got a shot with at least two. I'm not sure about waves of interview requests. It seems strange to me that they wouldn't send out rejection emails after interview invites if there wasn't still at least SOME chance of being recruited (isn't it just one miserable mass email?), but perhaps that is overly optimistic.

Don't throw in the towel yet. Many schools send out interview requests in waves (from what I can tell by looking at thegradcafe survey histories), especially those with multiple interview weekends. Many times you will be notified in January or even February for later interview dates. I'm sure there are cases where they have already sent all the interviews, but that is probably not the case for all of them.

@kmb268 Congrats! I was going to reply saying that I applied multiple places and haven't got any interview email yet :\ But your question and reply of stmwap and mccamel kind of comforted my messed mind.

I checked out this thread yesterday and confirmed that many universities that I applied to have sent out their invitation to the interview already(UPenn, UW so and so..). I did not get yet and I am panicked so bad(this is my third time). Well but as I said, it is too early to through the towel..

BTW, I have applied to 13 different Neuroscience departments and many professors from those universities have sent me reply saying that "I am very pleased to know that you are applying our program..." or "I will hope to see you at the interview process..." or "Indeed our research interests have a lot in common.." kind of things. I was so psyched to hear those because those are from the university that I am REALLY REALLY interested! Most 'FINE' email was "your resume is interesting..". Most of reply was very affirmative. And yet, I haven't heard the word from them. Is it usual to everyone? Do they just say that to be nice? Because as far as I know, professor usually does not say that kind of thing to random student.

Thank you for making this thread. I probably will be dwelling in here from now :)

Did anybody else apply to and hear back from OHSU? Their website says that interview decisions are sent out December 15th, but there is nothing posted on thegradcafe survey this year...

@ stmwap Just wanted to let you know that I just received an interview invitation from OHSU, it came by email. Good luck!

Got an invite from UC Berkeley. Sweet. They rejected me for undergrad 8 years ago...

@leealex0201: I did not contact any PIs so I can't speak as to whether they are sincere when they respond to students, but that would be pretty sh*tty if they sent everyone same the form response. Did they mention specific stuff off your CV/etc in their responses? Good luck to you over the next few weeks.

@leealex0201 I'm in a similar situation. I even got a "I look forward to meeting you again on our campus", but still haven’t gotten any formal invites yet. I imagine that the profs aren’t saying these things just to be nice, but at the same time I think that individual profs don’t have a ton of pull when it comes to application reviews unless they happen to be on the admissions committee. I was told by one prof recently that after applications are under review the admissions committee takes very little input from faculty members until interviews. All in all I’m guessing that the individuals we have talked to were honest and interested, but that in the end it might not be much of an advantage unless they are in some way part of reviewing applications themselves.

@ stmwap Just wanted to let you know that I just received an interview invitation from OHSU, it came by email. Good luck!

Thanks for letting me know! 

@strangelypleasant They didn't mention the number of interviewees in the e-mail, but their website says that they have an average of 8 matriculants per year, meaning they probably accept around 15, meaning they probably interview 20-30.

Edited by stmwap