Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

@SMcrumble,mccamel Thank you for your opinion! I think they just have been sincere and just "interested"; nothing more, it is not allowed for me to expect positive result out of that comment. It looks like many people have gotten that response from professors and they are worth to apply as I am. Still we all have to compete or sell ourselves and to look extraordinary!

I am still waiting the interview invitation and if no invitation comes along till the Friday, I probably will start to think about the Plan B, although I don't really have one :(

Edited by leealex0201

Congratulations on all the interviews! I'm trying hard not to get discouraged as I'm seeing most of the programs I've applied to have sent invites now. I hope in reality there are some that will be on a rolling basis and not all at once.

When do schools start sending rejections? I'm assuming after they've gotten confirmation that the people the invite will actually come to interview?

Has anyone heard from NYU, BU, UCSD or CU Boulder?

@meow123: are you applying to neuroscience programs?  That would be interesting if you were applying with some kind of education focus (which is what it says in your profile sidebar.  As for me, I didn't apply there.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten an interview!

What is the consensus on rolling interviews? If I haven't received a notice from harvard or hopkins yet, does that mean the likelyhood of getting one is severely decreased?

Congrats on Harvard! I am also waiting for it, but haven't heard from it yet.

Anyway, I emailed the program coordinator at Penn Neuroscience (I know her actually since I did my master's degree at Penn bioengineering and took several neurosci courses), and she got back to me as the following:

--------------------------

We have not finished sending out invitations. The committee is now on holiday and will reconvene in early January. JaneWe have not finished sending out invitations. The committee is now on holiday and will reconvene in early January. Jane

--------------------------

So for those who applied Penn and got disappointed for not receiving anything (including me), we still have some hope.

Does anyone hear from Princeton (neuroscience, not psychology)? This is my top choice and they seem to invite people before christmas...

@ryancho Thank you soooo much for your posting! Although there was nothing i could do more for my application for UPenn, your posting absolutly made my day :). I also applied to UPenn and was disappointing that I have not got an email from them. Fingers are still crossed!

I also applied to NYU and Princeton and have no idea what they are doing with the application. Probably we will be able to say something about them tomorrow, Friday before Christmas a.k.a. Bloody Friday. :)

고마워요!

Edited by leealex0201

@ryancho based on your skype conversation with Harvard did you get the impression that they would send out all the invites on one day? Wondering if I should give up on it now rather than torture myself all weekend haha Congrats to those invited!

Hi everyone! I am interviewing at Duke as well! See those of you there.  I was also invited to interview at UC Denver! Still waiting on 5 schools.

I work at Yale for a neuro professor and so far I haven't heard anything about their interview selections so hang in there :)

Received word today that Harvard invited ~40 applicants to interview for their program. Any ideas on how big the entering student body usually is?

Not too sure, but I think it's around 15-20. Does this mean that they will not be sending out any more invitations?

Yep.

Thank you for applying to our Ph.D. graduate program. Our Admissions Committee has made their decisions with regards to interview invitations. We are sorry to tell you that you have not been selected. Again, thank you for your interest and we wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of graduate training