French PhD 2013, anyone?

Soleil ت

Hi Michelle, I have finished applying to the 7 schools listed in my signature, and I'm hoping that my stay as a teaching assistant in Annecy will keep me from constantly checking emails and playing the waiting game. Nice to know that someone else is on here for 2013!

Hi Patrick,

Are you there through TAPIF? I was accepted to TAPIF this year in the Académie de Montpellier, but I couldn't go because of finances. :(

Best of luck on your applications. I just finished my application to Berkeley as well.

Yes, I wanted to be in Aix-Marseille or Montpellier, but TAPIF put me in the Académie de Grenoble. I must say that it is quite fun, and high school teaching will be my plan B if admissions don't work out next year. The salary is OK to live on, but Annecy is a very expensive city. Best of luck to you, too. It would be great to be at Berkeley next year. I really enjoyed it when I went to visit. Definitely keep in touch next spring.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished applying for all desired programs: Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Stanford. Really looking forward for Columbia... we'll see what happens. I am studying in Toronto for a French Master's. Hope it's going to go according to your plans.

• 2 weeks later...

I am checking my email every 15 minutes and scanned last year's grad café results to see when people started hearing from my programs in 2012. I feel so pathetic!

Don't feel pathetic!  I'm doing the same thing.  I even checked all of the previous years' acceptances to approximate when I might expect to hear something.  Early to late February for all of them... so that helped me with my email-checking problem. 

Hi guys, I was interviewed by UT Austin last week and just heard the good news - I was accepted! They're really early though, last year I only started hearing back from programs early February... I was also accepted at IU for the Spring semester but with no financial support, so I deferred to Fall and I'm waiting to hear from them. And still no news from Stanford, Vanderbilt, Columbia, Cornell, UPenn and Duke... Good luck everyone!

Congrats, sandie! From what I've heard about UT Austin from family/friends, it seems like a great place! 

I was also not involved on that Penn State result, and I didn't hear from Northwestern yesterday. Here's to a relaxing weekend and we'll see what early February brings. 

sandie - The Director of Beginning Studies while I was doing my M.A. had her Ph.D. from UT-Austin.  She did French linguistics, but she is an amazing pedagogue.  I admire her so much, and I would assume that this excellence would extend to her department. Congrats on the acceptance! I'm sure it feels good to know that you have at least one option this early in the "season".

Meanwhile, I have a Skype interview coming up with Penn State.  Extremely nervous!  Anyone else done the Skype interview?  Tips?

Thank you very much Patrick, ukulelesummer and Wj2011 for your kind words and for sharing what you know or have heard about UT Austin! It seems like a great place to study and the faculty members I talked to were very nice and helpful :) I know a grad student there and she told me there was a great atmosphere in the department. I've also heard great things about the city of Austin, so I think I'll spend the upcoming days looking for information on grad life in Austin. It feels good indeed to know that I have at least one option that early :)

I wish you all the best of luck and will keep my fingers crossed for you guys to get accepted somewhere soon! Good luck with your Skype interview, Wj2011, and let us know how it went :)

Hello everyone!

I was the one posting about PSU early last week. I had the interview yesterday and it went really well. They ask really specific questions about your research interests but as long as you're truly passionate about it, you will be fine! 

I am a French citizen completing graduate studies in the United States and so far I have been accepted at Michigan State and got interviews with Pittsburgh , Penn State and Colorado-Boulder. My application has been rejected by Ann Arbor (like many people I see) and I believe I am waitlisted at Northwestern.

I am still waiting to hear from Wisconsin, Illinois, Minesotta and Purdue (if any of you applied to Purdue, they told me answers won't be given until the beginning of March...).

Best of luck to you all!

I saw that two of the schools I applied to -- UT Austin and UC Davis -- had one acceptance each in the results place.  Hope this doesn't mean I wasn't accepted.  I would be sad. :( I still haven't heard anything from anybody!

What's up with the University of Michigan. They've rejected almost everyone that applied to any language program. My friend was rejected from the Spanish PHD program. She works for a well known newspaper, has published and has 2 BA's and one MA.  Good luck to all :) 

I did not apply to Michigan, but it looks brutal on the results.  I wonder if something is up with funding?

I had my interview with Penn State today; and it went well.  The faculty are passionate, and the atmosphere was relaxed... too bad I wasn't!  :wacko: