French PhD 2013, anyone?

Soleil ت

My first question would be: What's the difference in cost of living between Davis and Gainesville? I've been using this calculator, which I cannot actually vouch for, I have no idea if it's accurate, but voilà: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

It's hard not to be swayed by money, but think of how much of it is going straight to tuition...

Other than that, I don't have much advice!! Sorry.

Hi guys, I was just notified of my acceptance to Columbia University, French Cultural Studies in Global context. Does anyone know anything about this program? Is it worth going? I mean they did not mention anything on funding and I suppose the tuition stuff can not be very affordable. Advice needed.

wmb, that is a good thing to consider. I am not sure how accurate that link is either, but it seems fairly accurate in my current location. Thank you for sharing!

Fransces, unfortunately I don't know much about Columbia's programs. Maybe research a few days and wait to hear about funding in the meantime. We still have a week -- let's milk it!

First of all, congrats Michelle! Then, I can relate with your dilemma and know how hard it is to make a choice when you have several options. I think what matters most is fit. But if you have to starve yourself for 5 years, then of course you need to consider other parameters. If I were you, I would ask UC Davis what kind of support I would get after the first year, because all that money is great indeed but what if they don't offer you as much for the next 4 years?

Have you asked IU about funding lately? You never know what can happen... Do you know if they have a ranked wait list for Linguistics?

As for UF, I do think it would be a good fit considering what you said about the department, it seems like you would have more opportunities in linguistics there than at UC Davis. Sometimes a good way of knowing what option we unconsciously favor is to flip a coin. Of course you don't need to go to the university associated with the side it falls on, but your reaction to the potential decision could tell you where you really want to go. If you realize you're relieved and happy or disappointed that it landed on that side and not the other one, then you might get the beginning of an answer...

Good luck and do keep us posted about your decision process!

Hello all

Does anybody have any input or remarks regarding the Tufts University's French Program in Boston. I didn't manage to find any rankings on it. Please advise if you've heard anything about the program.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know anything about it!  I hope you got the information you wanted elsewhere though.

... I can't believe I actually made a decision.  Go me!  I decided to go to UF.  Now the next part should be fun: planning and shopping!

that's the right attitude!

i also made my decision today: going to columbia next year. i got accepted off the wait-list last minute (wednesday of last week), and after probably the most agonizing and indecisive weekend of my life decided to go there. patrick, we'll probably see each other around still—i have a feeling i'll be spending a lot of time at NYU, too.

congrats to everyone; finally the hard part is over (until classes start!...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats to you all! Unfortunately, it turns out I'm not accepted anywhere... :(

I still haven't heard anything from Boston but I suppose it's way too late now (how rude of them by the way...).

It was nice to share this stressful time with you all, have fun!

So sorry to read that, Nicko :( Have you contacted Boston, just to be sure? I know it's still early to think about that, but do you think you'll re apply next year?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, Anybody starting to get nervous? I have not been thinking too much about the impending stresses of grad school, but I have been suffering from fears that I chose the wrong career choice, which I know means I am starting to feel incompetent. I am starting to fear that I am going to be a disappointment when I start my MA.