French PhD 2013, anyone?

Soleil ت

On the other side of the coin, looks like a good day for UCLA French applicants! I had a nice visit there in September, but I didn't apply. 

Wj2011-Good to hear about Penn State, certainly seems like there are a lot of options there for cultural studies and other research. 

Certainly seems like activity is picking up. I also received a rejection email from Michigan yesterday, so I'm obviously hoping for better results in the next few days/weeks. 

Sorry to hear about your rejection.  I've also noticed Michigan was sending an awful lot of rejections.  You'll get something for sure!  I still haven't heard a darn thing, good or bad. 

Certainly seems like activity is picking up. I also received a rejection email from Michigan yesterday, so I'm obviously hoping for better results in the next few days/weeks. 

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you get better news soon!!

I haven't heard anything either, Michelle.

ukulelesummer, are you at UofL?  I did my MA at UK, but I am a huge Cards fan... LOL

I'm so sorry to hear about the rejection from Indiana - I am waiting to hear from them as well.  I don't know about everyone else, but I wonder how much of this is programs' tightening their belts across the board?  That could also be why some programs are taking so long to respond... mulling over every possibility and trying to come up with just the right combination of accepted students.  

I've also accepted that a rejection may not have anything to do with quality - it may have everything to do with which faculty is taking new advisees, the amount of money in the department, having two candidates with similar research interests and the other one being more appealing for one reason or another but otherwise equal --- I view this entire thing as similar to a theatre audition, where you may be a fabulous actress but get overlooked because you're too tall.  

Wj2011, yes I'm a TA at UofL right now. I bet being a cards fan gets you in a lot of trouble haha. 

I'm not as upset as I thought I would be. It's nice just to get some sort of news. I went to the zappos outlet for good measure though and got a cute pair of shoes for dealing with rejection.

The programs are taking a long time to respond. I've been waiting for NYU and Wisoncsin for what seems like forever.

Well IU sent me a rejection email/letter today saying I'll have a hard copy in the mail soon. Eh...I'm good with only a rejection email I don't need a second copy haha.

Aww, so sorry to hear about your rejection.  I have yet to hear back from Indiana.  They should ask if you want a second copy -- I bet most people would say "NO THANKS!"

Edit: Also, when did you submit your application?  I think mine barely made the deadline.  I wonder if that means they're going to take a little longer notifying me.

Edited by michelle ♥

My application was in pretty early but my voice recordings were turned in on one of the last days before the deadline.

The SOP in French was the killer for me.  I found myself translating one paragraph a day and getting burnt out. 

The SOP in French was the killer for me.  I found myself translating one paragraph a day and getting burnt out. 

Yeah. That part was frustrating to me so it felt like it took forever. 500 words isn't a lot but it's hard when you're just talking about yourself basically haha. 

I can cross off Vanderbilt.   :(

Quite a bummer, as that was one of my top choices.

PS - It seems that they are unable to accept anyone this year. I do wish I had known that before applying, but it is a testament to the economy.

Edited by Wj2011

PS - It seems that they are unable to accept anyone this year. I do wish I had known that before applying, but it is a testament to the economy.

Ugh, was that you who posted that in the results? I saw that Vanderbilt wasn't accepting admissions due to budget cuts, and I mourned for all those who applied.  I'm so grateful that I didn't finish my Vanderbilt application. They definitely need to refund the applicants' money.  What a scam. :(

I'm sorry to hear about that. That's weird that they'd even open applications up if they even thought they couldn't accept anyone. I agree with Michelle that they should refund the money. It seems a little unfair.

Yep, that was me.  However, I got a super nice explanation (with some encouragement!) from the DGS before getting the canned "rejection" note from the school.  It is as much a loss for the department as it is for the applicants.

I agree that they shouldn't accept applications if they know they don't have positions, but I have the impression that they thought they had openings only to hear from the administration otherwise.  They did review my application, and I doubt they would have bothered if they knew there wasn't any point.

Edited by Wj2011

Yep, that was me.  However, I got a super nice explanation (with some encouragement!) from the DGS before getting the canned "rejection" note from the school.  It is as much a loss for the department as it is for the applicants.

I agree that they shouldn't accept applications if they know they don't have positions, but I have the impression that they thought they had openings only to hear from the administration otherwise.  They did review my application, and I doubt they would have bothered if they knew there wasn't any point.

Same here :( such a bummer, it was one of my top choices, too. Got a nice email from the DGS as well, saying that things may be better next year or "they might have a slot in a month or so" and would let me know right away if they did... I don't know how much credit I should give to this, I don't really see how things would change that rapidly... :(  

Aaaah I wanted to be accepted at Vanderbilt so bad :(

Hopefully we'll all have better news next week!