French PhD 2013, anyone?

Soleil ت

Hi! I've been lurking on this board for a while and just made an account. I just wanted to ask: did anybody else hear from Columbia? I got invited to what sounds like an informal interview/lunch/sit in on a class type of visit and am very nervous.

Beyond that, does anybody know anything about job placement rates? I've been having the hardest time finding real data: the only places that have made that kind of thing publicly available are Columbia and NYU (and even that only vaguely: no dates or even time frame, just a list of schools where their alumni teach). I'm looking, specifically, at Columbia, NYU, Yale and Princeton. If anybody else applied there/is going to their open house/considering acceptances, please don't hesitate to get in touch on here or by pm!
Congratulations to those of you that have heard anything and bon courage to everybody else!

Hi! I've been lurking on this board for a while and just made an account. I just wanted to ask: did anybody else hear from Columbia? I got invited to what sounds like an informal interview/lunch/sit in on a class type of visit and am very nervous.

Beyond that, does anybody know anything about job placement rates? I've been having the hardest time finding real data: the only places that have made that kind of thing publicly available are Columbia and NYU (and even that only vaguely: no dates or even time frame, just a list of schools where their alumni teach). I'm looking, specifically, at Columbia, NYU, Yale and Princeton. If anybody else applied there/is going to their open house/considering acceptances, please don't hesitate to get in touch on here or by pm!

Congratulations to those of you that have heard anything and bon courage to everybody else!

Welcome to the forum!  I haven't seen anything about Columbia yet, but the fact that you were offered the interview+ sounds great! 

As far as job placement data, some schools do keep it rather vague for some reason, but Columbia is a great school, and I have no doubts that its graduates have found some excellent homes post-graduation. 

Best wishes!

Finally an acceptance!  Indiana came through this morning!  For various reasons, this was my top choice going in.  SO HAPPY!   :D  :D  :D

Ugh, jealous!  IU is one of my top too!  I saw your results entry today and I was like "darn it!" Still haven't heard anything from anyone!  When did you apply?

Congratulations! I don't see why you should be nervous - on the contrary, you should be delighted, I think. This seems like a very definite sign to me.

I've also been lurking for some time, and was wondering does anyone know what this invitation means? Should those of us who've applied & not got an invitation give up hope now?

Re: IU.  "When did you apply?"

Right around the deadline.  Maybe a day or two early on my part, but I'm sure my letters of rec were to the wire.  Watching the results board like a hawk, it seems like a few days might lapse in between results from the same school.  Not sure what causes it, and I'm trying not to worry that that UC-Berkeley popped up over the weekend!

Beyond that, does anybody know anything about job placement rates?

At many schools (even great schools), placement rates can be dismal.  Completion rates are dismal.  You have to ask both questions outright (preferably of the DGS, because your POI might not know) and be specific: what percentage of students complete the dissertation, how many students have found academic jobs in the last 3 years, where have those jobs been and what type (TT, NTT), how many students have found jobs outside of academia?  Even then they may not have the answer.  

does anyone know what this invitation means? Should those of us who've applied & not got an invitation give up hope now?

The visit is a good sign; they want you to see what they have to offer and see how you would fit in.  I imagine this is for top candidates, and no, I wouldn't give up hope.  (1) See above.  All the invites don't necessarily go out on the same day.  (2) Top grad programs (like Columbia) will have tiers of very qualified students to go through. It's not over until the rejection letter comes.

Edited by Wj2011

Hi guys!

I hope you are doing well, despite the frustration of not knowing what is going to happen in the near future.

I got an interview at Northwestern and Princeton, and I am really excited, though incredibly nervous!

I don't know what the likelihood of getting into any of these programs is once you get an interview/campus visit.

Anyways, I wish you guys all the luck in the world! Only a month or so before we all know for sure :)

Hi guys!

I hope you are doing well, despite the frustration of not knowing what is going to happen in the near future.

I got an interview at Northwestern and Princeton, and I am really excited, though incredibly nervous!

I don't know what the likelihood of getting into any of these programs is once you get an interview/campus visit.

Anyways, I wish you guys all the luck in the world! Only a month or so before we all know for sure :)

Hi there, and welcome to GradCafé!  Congratulations on your interviews to such excellent programs!  I'm sure you'll do well, and I have a good feeling about your acceptances!  I still have yet to hear anything, but I am hopeful for something positive to come my way!

Re: IU. Right around the deadline.  Maybe a day or two early on my part, but I'm sure my letters of rec were to the wire.  Watching the results board like a hawk, it seems like a few days might lapse in between results from the same school.  Not sure what causes it, and I'm trying not to worry that that UC-Berkeley popped up over the weekend!

Ugh, me too.  My recs came in at a decent time, but I was really close to the deadline with my recordings and French SOP.  In fact, when I mailed my recordings, they asked me after the deadline to email them because they were having trouble with my disc.  So, I was really close.  IU would be a great opportunity for me, and I also have an aunt up there so I won't be TOO lonely :)

I've also been lurking for some time, and was wondering does anyone know what this invitation means? Should those of us who've applied & not got an invitation give up hope now?

Nooo!  Never give up hope! :)

congrats for your acceptance at IU, Wj2011! I am still waiting to hear back from them regarding financial support... we'll see. Also, I just received an email from Duke letting me know that I was on their wait list... Waiting is going to be hard  :wacko:

Ah! This thread is awesome! I basically was doing the exact same "stalking the gradcafé results search" for awhile. I only applied to two schools (UCLA and UC Berkeley) but I've already heard back from UCLA ("recommended for acceptance to the UCLA grad division" so I don't know how official that is...) but I'd be more than happy to go there! Now I'm just waiting to hear back from UC Berkeley and I'm not overly optimistic considering two users of the results forum already got in and I have yet to be contacted.

Also, I'm fairly certain that NYU applicants should be hearing back some time after this Friday... (I go there now). Good luck, everyone!

I have not heard from Berkeley, either, but I won't count them out until I get a rejection note (or a status update on my application!).  

And thanks for the tip on NYU.  At least, I can temporarily suspend the checking of email for that one.

michelle, wmb and Wj2011, thank you so much for the encouragement! I don't mean to sound ungrateful or disingenuous: I am very flattered and appreciative of my programs' early responses. It's just that I'm currently in a precarious situation for a variety of reasons (I am currently in a grad program, in another field, that is none to happy about my having applied elsewhere and I feel like I will be getting hell from them until may), so kind words are actually really appreciated! On top of that, I am thrilled at my Yale acceptance (dream program, in a way), but might not actually be able to go because it is so logistically difficult (my partner will stay in his program, at our current school, which is far away, and there's no way I want to be long distance.. been there done that and all).

Anyway, sorry to hijack the acceptance discussion, I just had a pretty awful day, which somehow feels even worse given how elated I expected to be right now. Thanks for the support!

Also, I'm fairly certain that NYU applicants should be hearing back some time after this Friday... (I go there now). Good luck, everyone!

Delighted with this reason to convince myself to not think about NYU's decision..!

Wmb,

Can I just ask how you found out about your Berkeley rejection? And perhaps we'll see each other at UCLA (if you're visiting at the end of the month)!

Berkeley was for comp lit. I just got an e-mail telling me to check the application portal, signed in and there was a curt message letting me know I had been rejected.

And I should be visiting---trying to figure things out with the grad people there! Any word on funding from your end? They didn't even mention it in their e-mail! (Sounds crass but let's be real.)

And I should be visiting---trying to figure things out with the grad people there! Any word on funding from your end? They didn't even mention it in their e-mail! (Sounds crass but let's be real.)

Yeah, I haven't heard anything either about funding and I'm somewhat worried but after a bit of investigation (friends of friends who know the UCLA situation better), it looks like it should be alright. A close friend actually chose UCLA over Berkeley because of funding opportunities. And I'm definitely visiting at the end of February and I'm hoping that's when they'll explain the financial aid package a bit better. 

Doing alright, was hoping this week would bring more decisions. It certainly looks like that's the case for several people. Hearing back from Berkeley any minute now would be really nice! I do have a Skype interview today with a professor at Lyon 2 for a Master in FLE over here. Could be a good option if the decisions don't work out with the American universities. 

Doing alright, was hoping this week would bring more decisions. It certainly looks like that's the case for several people. Hearing back from Berkeley any minute now would be really nice! I do have a Skype interview today with a professor at Lyon 2 for a Master in FLE over here. Could be a good option if the decisions don't work out with the American universities. 

Génial ! Lyon est une belle ville. J'espère que tu y réussiras.  :)

Merci ! Yes, c'est une belle ville. Pas mal comme plan B ou C. 

Great! Let us know how it goes! Fingers crossed for you. It's always nice to have a back-up plan... it's so stressful not to know what we're going to do/where we're going to be in a few months :ph34r:  

Tell me about it, sandie! My teaching assistant job in France is doing a nice job of distracting me during this waiting period, but I'm still always looking at back-up plans and future possibilities. It'll all make sense soon enough, right?  :)

Tell me about it, sandie! My teaching assistant job in France is doing a nice job of distracting me during this waiting period, but I'm still always looking at back-up plans and future possibilities. It'll all make sense soon enough, right?  :)

Are you anxious to come back yet?  To me, the time seems to be flying by since I was in France, but that might not be the case for the people who actually *stayed* in France for TAPIF instead of leaving last minute hehe.

Bon, je suis pas mal angoissé par cette nouvelle de Columbia qu'on voit aujourd'hui au tableau, alors que celle ou celui qui l'a eue s'annonce pour que je puisse dissiper l'angoisse dans les félicitations !