How to answer questions on your financial resources for grad school?

lubinli

Hello all,

(Sorry that I haven't been an active participant at the forum. As a newcomer to the application process, I feel pretty clueless/don't want to misguide people in response to most of the questions posted here.)

I am an international, master's program applicant, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to fill out the "financial resources" section of certain applications (i.e. questions asking you $______ that you/your family/outside scholarships/other sources can contribute to your grad education). I plan on using my savings and taking out loans, but it's too early to know the exact numbers. Any guidance on how to answer such questions? Should I leave some "gap" between the budget and my total financial resources, in hoping for scholarship/financial aid consideration?

I know that my chance of getting funding is very slim, especially at public universities, but I can't stop wondering if stating my ability to shoulder the full cost of the education would result in the committee passing me up entirely for funding considerations. On the other hand, I have heard horror stories of schools rejecting qualified international (PhD) candidates only because they cannot fund them (see:).

Thanks a lot!