Embarrassingly low GPA, I don't know what to do...

I just want to post in here and say DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE! I had a Cum GPA of 3.28 CSD GPA of 3.78 GRE scores of 145/143/4.0 and I was just accepted to Saint Louis University!!!! It is not always about the stats!!! Stay positive!!! 

I wish you all the best from someone who started back to school with a 2.0 GPA and took 3 years straight of classes from junior college to a university and it still only got my GPA to a 2.77 overall.  My CSD GPA was 3.3 and last 60 only 3.28.  I looked for any job related to the field during my one year break after undergrad and emailed programs like crazy that year to find the programs that would take a chance on me and formed great relationships with a few programs who either accepted me into their programs or waitlisted me because they knew who I was when my application crossed their desks.  

I have read everyones posts in the thread and there are so many valid points that I would like to second, but one that maybe has not come up yet is how important it is to actually use our communicative skills to actually email/call programs to see which program is willing to take a chance on someone like you.  If a program gets an application from someone they have never heard from with low grades, decent GRE's and decent experience they are forced into a tough situation.  

If a program gets an application from someone who has emailed/called them and explained their situation and gotten feedback from them and has those same low grades, decent GRE scores, decent relative experiences it puts the program in the situation of being able to feel more comfortable about giving that person a shot because of the relationship that was built through email/calling.  It is much easier to accept someone you know through some type of communication than to take a chance on someone you have no relationship with.  

So please, email/call/visit programs and find out which ones would like to take a chance on you.  Follow up with them and ask for feedback and advice.  These grad program coordinators are not unapproachable.  The ones who do not email back or call back are the ones who would never take a chance on you anyways.  There are some who will reply and tell you of schools who they think will take a chance on you.  

After all else fails, there are other avenues for those of us who enjoy serving/caring for others.  Some have done special ed or even a regular ed teacher, some have gone on to do other things.  I know you will all succeed in some avenue of caring for others as it shows how much you care through your posts.  Good luck to all of you!

:) 

I wish you all the best from someone who started back to school with a 2.0 GPA and took 3 years straight of classes from junior college to a university and it still only got my GPA to a 2.77 overall.  My CSD GPA was 3.3 and last 60 only 3.28.  I looked for any job related to the field during my one year break after undergrad and emailed programs like crazy that year to find the programs that would take a chance on me and formed great relationships with a few programs who either accepted me into their programs or waitlisted me because they knew who I was when my application crossed their desks.  

I have read everyones posts in the thread and there are so many valid points that I would like to second, but one that maybe has not come up yet is how important it is to actually use our communicative skills to actually email/call programs to see which program is willing to take a chance on someone like you.  If a program gets an application from someone they have never heard from with low grades, decent GRE's and decent experience they are forced into a tough situation.  

If a program gets an application from someone who has emailed/called them and explained their situation and gotten feedback from them and has those same low grades, decent GRE scores, decent relative experiences it puts the program in the situation of being able to feel more comfortable about giving that person a shot because of the relationship that was built through email/calling.  It is much easier to accept someone you know through some type of communication than to take a chance on someone you have no relationship with.  

So please, email/call/visit programs and find out which ones would like to take a chance on you.  Follow up with them and ask for feedback and advice.  These grad program coordinators are not unapproachable.  The ones who do not email back or call back are the ones who would never take a chance on you anyways.  There are some who will reply and tell you of schools who they think will take a chance on you.  

After all else fails, there are other avenues for those of us who enjoy serving/caring for others.  Some have done special ed or even a regular ed teacher, some have gone on to do other things.  I know you will all succeed in some avenue of caring for others as it shows how much you care through your posts.  Good luck to all of you!

Excellent advice!  :)   May I just say that you're one of the most helpful and sensible posters on Grad Cafe.  You give useful advice and are never condescending in your approach.   :)

@oneshot35, that definitely gives me hope, and congratulations!!!!

Though I did address my low GPA and other personal circumstances in my statement, I still wish I had started e-mailing programs before starting my whole application process and having recommenders submit letters. I probably would have switched 4 of the schools I to which I applied for elsewhere, and would have felt better that I would at least be somewhat recognized. I made it through to the supplemental round for Rush, so I'm hoping that ends positively, and I hope the schools I applied to with the lower GPA cutoffs end up in acceptances as well. I have to say @twinguy7, your advice has been incredibly helpful, and should I need to involve myself in the next application season, I will definitely be taking some plays out of your book!

Heads up and fingers crossed :)

@chandru1 @twinguy7 Excellent advice. What do you suggest if you've already submitted your applications? Would you recommend contacting departments then? I definitely should've contacted them before submitting my apps, but oh well. :(

@chandru1 @twinguy7 Excellent advice. What do you suggest if you've already submitted your applications? Would you recommend contacting departments then? I definitely should've contacted them before submitting my apps, but oh well. :(

If you get a wait list I would suggest contacting the program director to show a continued interest, but to be honest, I would suggest to pray and ride this cycle out and hope for the best.

If no luck this cycle, make sure to find ways to gain experience related to the field before your next application cycle(whether that be spring or next fall) and also to email some schools before those cycles to gain more perspective as to which program would be open to considering you for their program.  Good luck! :)

I can't imagine it would help this late in the game. If for whatever reason you find yourself reapplying, I recommend making contacts well before the applications are due.

• 2 months later...

I am happy to report that I have been accepted to a Master in Arts in Communication Sciences and Disorders starting this August! I was granted Provisional Admission. Meaning... I must achieve a 3.0 in my grad courses in addition to retaking the 2 courses I made C's in and make B's or above to continue on. So, I get a chance to redeem myself! I really have the bare down and do well in the Fall so I can prove to the admission committee that they were right in choosing me and so I may become a "regular" student in the Spring. I am so ecstatic! Yes, it took 2 years since graduating with my bachelors and I clearly had no hope. It all came so suddenly, its nearly June! I have a lot to do in the next 2 months to prepare and will also be moving out of state. I had just accepted a position in a teaching program hours before I got the acceptance letter so this really caught me off guard. I was rejected from the 3 others programs I applied to as well .

Anyways, I guess I just proved to myself and hopefully have given some hope to the rest of you that you do not need a 3.5 or above to get into grad school in this field. Just stay persistent.

You already know from the original post that my gpa is a 3.0. Also, I am (clearly) a minority student and the school I was accepted to was in fact an HBCU. I won't go into too much details on here but if any of you have specific questions for me feel free to PM.

Congratulations! I remember reading your story a while back when I first joined and wondered if you had gotten in. You seemed more determined than pretty much anyone else whose story I had read so you stood out to me. You must be so excited!

@ JaimeSLP  congrats!  Your dedication has paid off....  keep up the good work :)

Thank you for the support!

Congratulations! I remember reading your story a while back when I first joined and wondered if you had gotten in. You seemed more determined than pretty much anyone else whose story I had read so you stood out to me. You must be so excited!

You wouldn't believe how excited I am! Determination is key and sometimes letting go of the stress and just letting the universe work helps as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!  I am so glad that I found this thread here on grad cafe.  I was a little disheartened with my own situation because I have a low GPA from my first round as an undergrad, I did however bring up my gpa to a 3.4 when I went back for the leveling courses.  I have applied during two application cycles and did not get into a program.  I am in California and I was able to get a job as a Speech and Language Pathologist with a school district under a credential waiver.  I am still trying to get into a grad program.