Iranian Studies in Iran

30rus

The University of Tehran has started an M.A program of Iranian Studies just for International applicants. anyone interested on Iranian Studies? its quite cheap to, 3000$ for a year!more info below. http://www.ut.ac.ir/en/contents/Admission/Admission-Iranian-Studies/IranianStudiesInEnglish/In.English.html http://www.ut.ac.ir/en/contents/Admission/En-IranianStudiesInPersian/In.Persian.html

• 4 weeks later...

Do you know any U.S. Citizens that have done this program? I've looked at it before and it seems like a really good deal, but even the website seems pretty skeptical about U.S. citizens getting long-term visas... I know some folks from here that have gone to Dehkhoda, but never for more than a couple of months and not within the past couple of years. Also, how familiar are you with the Iranian Studies program? My understanding is that you can do it taught in either Persian or in English-- I've spent the last 4 years studying Persian, so it would be really awesome to an M.A. taught in Persian. Alas, given my citizenship, it seems unlikely :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know any U.S. Citizens that have done this program? I've looked at it before and it seems like a really good deal, but even the website seems pretty skeptical about U.S. citizens getting long-term visas... I know some folks from here that have gone to Dehkhoda, but never for more than a couple of months and not within the past couple of years. Also, how familiar are you with the Iranian Studies program? My understanding is that you can do it taught in either Persian or in English-- I've spent the last 4 years studying Persian, so it would be really awesome to an M.A. taught in Persian. Alas, given my citizenship, it seems unlikely :-(

difficulties for U.S citizens is a myth, specially for some one who has spent 4 years studying Persian, the Program is in Persian and all the students spend 6 months at dehkhoda then their programs start and they are accommodated at University of Tehran's Special International Dorms  . the course uses prominent professors from across the universities in Tehran. anyways if you have any special inquiries i can ask them for you, the program co-ordinator is my supervisor.

anyways the M.A is Held at Faculty of World Studies which is trying to become a prominent centre in Iran and the ME, so they exchange programs with NUS Singapore and german Universities, also since the faculty is interdisciplinary there are a wide range of supervisors with different research interests available 

Edited by 30rus

Out of an abundance of caution, I don't think I could ever recommend an American studying in Iran given the current political climate.

You'll find the US Government will likely caution against it too. It could be an excellent program, but risks are risks. Someone could decide it's completely for them, but to pretend that Americans are welcome with open arms everywhere would be folly. 

Still, plenty of US citizens travel to places they're told not to, and if you already speak Persian, this seems like it'd be perfect.

Edited by m-ttl

• 1 year later...

I have a question about the M.A. in Iranian Studies at Tehran University. On the university website it says the length of the program is two years; it didn't talk about spending half a year at Dehkhoda before starting the program. I checked the one taught in English by the way. The website says the program starts off in English and moves gradually to Persian in semesters three and four, and I take Persian language courses along the way.

So could anyone clarify that please? I graduate in Dec this year and am applying for Sept 2015 entry. If I have to do half a year of language courses, I might as well go to Iran half a year early so that I can start on time.

All information welcome! Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I have actually done this program and to be honest, I would strongly disencourage anyone to take it. We were a group of 15 students when we started off the first year but the course is so bad that 13 students in total quit after the first and second semester. I think now only two eastern european girls in need of an MA have finished it. 

The course coordinater, Ahouie, is an absolute douchebag. Completely egocentric and indifferent to the students. He does absolutely anything NOT to help you. When we entered there wasnt enough accomodation available. We had that too and a few students were stranded in tehran without any help at all, only to be allocated (after months) an extremely expensive dorm with low quality that they could not afford. The guy in control of the dorms, Zangui, is a pervert doing anything to walk into the girls dorms and even into your room just to get a glimpse of a bit of your uncovered body. If you get angry at him, he might kick you out of the dorms.

Then the quality of the program: absolutely terrible. The course is supposed to be about 'international relations' and once you arrive you ll see how hollow their interpretation of that is. You will not have to read a SINGLE book throughout the year (or you get to have the completely free choice to write a book review on whatever you want, with no supervising or coordination). In fact, the first semester is a waste of time, you will only go to dekhoda every morning, and the classes at the uni are a joke, with professors who have major difficulty speaking english. After one semester you ll be hoping, even if ur persian isnt that great, to have all the classes in persian, to just have the slightest challenge. Then: there are only two professors who will teach 70 % of the course, samiei and ahouie. Samiei is alright, but ahouie is just a joke. All the students of my class were extremeley dissappointed and, like me, they left. Even the students who stayed just wanted to finish and get over the whole thing as quickly as possible. 

If you want to study in tehran and have the exotic experience, I advise you to simply apply for an Persian language MA, like literature or whatever cuz the quality will be much better, the content much more interesting, and you ll be surrounded by other foreigners (irakis, turks,..) who also are trying to cope with the language difficulty. These courses will also be very hollow (it is still education at Iranian levels) and you will not be required to do anything, but at least you get to talk to loads of interesting people and challenge your language skills. Additionally, you will probably get a scholarship from the university. In the Iranian Studies MA there is only 1 scholarship available I think (going to someone from a poor country) but if you register via the University itself, you ll have access to merit based scholarship and what not. I have one friend who switched programs and is on such a scholarship now. 

Conclusion: Dont do the MA in Iranian Studies at the University of Tehran. It is an absolute joke and you will be left frustrated on your own.

• 3 weeks later...

In response to Decaf's comment:

I also did the program and am now on a leave of absence after the first year for personal reasons. It's true that studying in Iran has many frustrations, but not necessarily the ones Decaf describes. The program is indeed heavy on IR, emphasizing Iran's own revisionist perspective on global politics. In terms of coursework quality, it's really a mixed bag. Some courses (like an elective on Iran's political economy) are quite rewarding. There is lots of room for independent study. It can be quite intellectually stimulating, provided you're persistent and willing to work on your own and not just motivated by assignments and grading, which is generally quite lax. The program provides a decidedly "insider" view of Iran, so it's useful to have some background in the field to be able to evaluate things critically and read between the lines. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's just looking for an easy, affordable, exotic-sounding Master's degree. 

There are some courses that are basic and introductory, more in the spirit of a 100-level undergraduate lecture than a graduate seminar, and their usefulness varies with how familiar you already are with the given topic. The main cause of frustrations had to do with bureaucracy and the general academic atmosphere. (But then again, I assume that if you're considering this program, you know that Tehran Univ is no UC Berkley...) Many of my classmates had negative experiences with student housing, and had to live in hotels for the first days or weeks. The university doesn't have very many mechanisms for helping out lost foreign students, so it is generally recommended to enlist a local to help you get set up, especially if your Persian isn't top-notch. 

On the U.S. citizen question: You can be a dual citizen and study here, but in three years I haven't met anyone at the univ or the Dehkhoda institute who had gotten in on a U.S. passport. That may be changing as the US Treasury lifts sanctions on academic exchange, so it's best to contact the department directly. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,
Does anyone have any more recent information about how things have evolved for this course? It would be helpful for me to have some more recent accounts.
It is difficult to obtain statistical information from the university. They don't publish intake/success rates and I haven't managed to obtain a reply to questions about them. 
Also the deadline for applications has passed, but they have extended it. I wonder why. If there are 15 places and they are accepting applications from around the world, then why the difficulty in recruiting?

Edited by Scottish
To clairfy a question and to add my last sentence..

• 3 months later...

i think the majority of people who entered the course didnt like it, cause when you hear Iranian Studies it has to be more about culture and art and literature whilst this program is more about politics and IR, so i think the hype about an Iranian Stuies M.A. at UT went down as more people came in understood the orientation of the program. also, recent placement have been more chinese students compared to the moreeuropeans in its first years