DAAD 2013

viggosloof28

So for those of us who've heard already (presumably the US folks), should we be applying for programmes right now?  App deadlines for programmes I'm considering are rapidly approaching (15. April[!]).  Of course all the info about that will be in the acceptance packet which we get in a few weeks (hopefully).  I'm interested in non-degree study and wondering if I still need to submit apps anyway or whether the DAAD greases the bureaucratic wheels on our behalf.  However, as Slobodan Milošević once said, "the calendar is ticking."

For those of you still waiting (Africa?), I'd suggest emailing DAAD - unless you're on a different timetable than the rest of us, it sure seems awfully late to not have heard a peep from Germany.

I'm wondering where those who have been accepted will be studying next year. I will be in Mainz doing dissertation work for a Ph.D. in philosophy.  Also, has anyone had luck finding an apartment yet? Nothing seems to be available for September or October just yet.

I received the study scholarship to do a master's in linguistics, but I'm still trying to decide where I am going to do it. Either in Potsdam or Dusseldorf, it's looking like. If do end up in Potsdam, I won't really have to look for an apartment, since I was in Berlin last year for a period, and I'd be able to rent the same apartment from a friend if I want to, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

Shibboleth12, I bet you still need to submit an application. Even if the department in which you're studying would be fine with simply admitting you, I imagine that admission still is determined by the central administration of the university. That's how it is at every university I have looked into. So in order to get registered, I think you simply will have to apply to the university itself.

I'd be interested to know how much you guys plan on spending for groceries, and where you will be located?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This just in: packages are being sent out at the end of this week from Bonn, and therefore might arrive the second week of May.

It's true, I received mine yesterday. I was reading the booklet today to get the dirty details on funding, what's included, what's not, and so on.  Anyone going to Berlin? I forget (it's been a bit of time since I've been on this board)

• 1 year later...

I know this post is old but I applied to the DAAD study scholarship for this upcoming fall Master programs and I was wondering if those who were succesful in recieving this scholarship could share what their general profile was as a student. Were you all amazing and genius? Just trying to figure out what my chances are.

Thanks in advance.