Starting school search - Need help narrowing down my list! Higher Ed/Student Affairs

3stars

Hello!

I've been reading for a bit, but this is my first post here, so I apologize if it's in the wrong category.

I am looking to apply for Master's programs in higher ed administration/college student personnel/student affairs. I am in the beginning of my search, and looking to matriculate in fall of 2014 (I like to plan ahead. :) )

Schools I am considering:

Bowling Green State

Illinois State

Indiana State

IUP

Kent State

Miami University of Ohio

Michigan State

Missouri State

Ohio State

U. of Connecticut

U. of Vermont

U Mass - Amherst

So far, what I am looking for in a program is an emphasis on practice rather than theory (internships, assistantships, hands-on exp.) and affordability.

If anyone is familiar with any of the programs at the schools listed, kindly speak up and share your experiences! Please help me choose some standouts, and narrow down my list. If you have any questions for me, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Hello!   I've been reading for a bit, but this is my first post here, so I apologize if it's in the wrong category.   I am looking to apply for Master's programs in higher ed administration/college student personnel/student affairs. I am in the beginning of my search, and looking to matriculate in fall of 2014 (I like to plan ahead. :) )   So far, what I am looking for in a program is an emphasis on practice rather than theory (internships, assistantships, hands-on exp.) Thanks in advance!
Welcome! I have read that HGSE's higher Ed is very practice-based!

I don't know anything about higher education or student affairs, but I'm curious how you arrived at "Indiana University of Pennsylvania" as one of your preliminary choices. 

I am a Pennsylvania resident, so I would be eligible for in-state tuition, and challenges in relocating and adjusting would be minimal. Now I am curious! Are you familiar with the school?

Welcome! I have read that HGSE's higher Ed is very practice-based!

Thank you for this tip, but I am only considering public universities!

I'm from Pennsylvania, too. I went to Shippensburg as an undergraduate, and I'm in the midst of a graduate certificate from Millersville. Granted, neither of these are Indiana, but I wouldn't target those schools for a serious graduate course of study. They seem way too expensive considering what you're getting. I did Millersville only because they had a certificate in an area that few schools have (Gifted education)--my options were there, or something 100% online.

But, Indiana--and the program you're interested--might be different. I guess I shouldn't generalize.

What do you hope to do once you graduate?  Since a master's program is pretty much all course work, I would make sure the schools that you are applying to have courses in your area of interest.  Also-- where are you hoping to live after you graduate?  Usually, your schools have more networks and connections within their region.  It looks like most of your schools are in the Midwest or New England.  Is this where you want to live after you are done?

Besides that I would also look into funding.  Do all students get assistantships that cover tuition and healthcare?  If not, how do these schools expect you to pay for your degree?

I applied to 5 schools when I was looking to get my master's in higher ed.  I found it a bit overwhelming because all of the programs I applied to required a multiple day on-campus visit with numerous interviews.  I ended up declining one visit because it was too close to another's schools and I was exhausted from all the previous travel.  If you are a strong candidate, I would narrow it down to a handful of schools to apply to (5 - 7 although 7 seems really on the high end). 

I'm from Pennsylvania, too. I went to Shippensburg as an undergraduate, and I'm in the midst of a graduate certificate from Millersville. Granted, neither of these are Indiana, but I wouldn't target those schools for a serious graduate course of study. They seem way too expensive considering what you're getting. I did Millersville only because they had a certificate in an area that few schools have (Gifted education)--my options were there, or something 100% online.

But, Indiana--and the program you're interested--might be different. I guess I shouldn't generalize.

I see what you mean, but I'd bet that all of the in-state schools have different strengths and weaknesses, especially for their graduate programs. There were a couple of other in-state schools that offered HE/SA programs, but they didn't appear to have the academics that I am looking for. Curriculum-wise, Indiana seems on par with the other schools I am considering. 

What do you hope to do once you graduate?  Since a master's program is pretty much all course work, I would make sure the schools that you are applying to have courses in your area of interest.  Also-- where are you hoping to live after you graduate?  Usually, your schools have more networks and connections within their region.  It looks like most of your schools are in the Midwest or New England.  Is this where you want to live after you are done?

Besides that I would also look into funding.  Do all students get assistantships that cover tuition and healthcare?  If not, how do these schools expect you to pay for your degree?

I applied to 5 schools when I was looking to get my master's in higher ed.  I found it a bit overwhelming because all of the programs I applied to required a multiple day on-campus visit with numerous interviews.  I ended up declining one visit because it was too close to another's schools and I was exhausted from all the previous travel.  If you are a strong candidate, I would narrow it down to a handful of schools to apply to (5 - 7 although 7 seems really on the high end). 

Actually, that's just it--I'm looking for a Master's program that isn't all course work! I understand that much of my time will be spent preparing for, being in, and working after class, but I'm looking for a program that reaches beyond that in the form of assistantships, internships, etc. Ideally, this will also help me finance my education. 

In regard to location, touché - I haven't listed any program in a region that I wouldn't want to live in after graduation. 

In regard to the number of programs, good point...I'm seeing that many of them include mandatory interviews, and there seems to be a fair amount of overlapping with the dates. I'll continue to do my research and see if I can whittle down my list to 6 or 7.

Thanks!

UMass Amherst has a nice mix to their practice and theory. When I visited it seemed everyone found an assistant ship, and even if you don't find one until mid-semester you'll get the benefits of them as if you had it all semester courtesy of the contract the school has with the graduate union. UMass Amherst's program has a social justice bend which I found incredibly attractive as well, and the program is definitely rigorous. The faculty also seemed very attentive and the students seemed to get a ton of hands on experience in their areas.

UMass Amherst has a nice mix to their practice and theory. When I visited it seemed everyone found an assistant ship, and even if you don't find one until mid-semester you'll get the benefits of them as if you had it all semester courtesy of the contract the school has with the graduate union. UMass Amherst's program has a social justice bend which I found incredibly attractive as well, and the program is definitely rigorous. The faculty also seemed very attentive and the students seemed to get a ton of hands on experience in their areas.

Thanks, this is great information to hear. Would you be able to speak anything about the location of the school? As you can see from my list, I lean Midwestern culturally. I've been to Boston, and didn't care for the city much....what is town and campus of Amherst like culturally?

Amherst has a ton of colleges/universities in the immediate vicinity (UMass, Smith, Amherst, Hampshire, etc.) and, from what I understand, culturally very liberal and open-minded.  It's more of a small town feel than Boston, though, so if it's just the city part that you don't like, you might really like Amherst.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for more practiced based Master's programs I would aim for MSU, NYU, University of Vermont, UNC Greensboro, Indiana, Ohio, University of Florida,etc. 

I'd also suggest on looking for "Student Affairs" concentration Master's program on US News & World Report. Higher Ed programs are becoming more concentrated, "Higher Ed Administration" or "Student Affairs". 

If you'd like to chat feel free to PM me. 

I'm also in PA. I would suggest adding Kutztown University to the list for an in-stage college. I went there for my psychology undergraduate and have applied for their masters in Student Affairs: College Counseling- Licensure. The psychology department was fantastic, and I've only heard fantastic things from their education department.

I'm also in PA. I would suggest adding Kutztown University to the list for an in-stage college. I went there for my psychology undergraduate and have applied for their masters in Student Affairs: College Counseling- Licensure. The psychology department was fantastic, and I've only heard fantastic things from their education department.

Thanks for the tip! I somehow overlooked Kutztown, and am now taking a look at their program for Student Affairs in Higher Ed - Administration. I like the idea of in-state tuition and a year-long internship, but when I came across their course offerings, it seemed like even the Administration-focused degree was still heavy on counseling-focused courses:

http://www.kutztown.edu/academics/graduate/chs/academic/pdfs/student-adminstration%20REVISED.pdf

Even the administration program curricularly seems like a counseling-focused program...I don't know if it would be a good fit for me, since I don't plan on going into academic counseling...

Thanks, this is great information to hear. Would you be able to speak anything about the location of the school? As you can see from my list, I lean Midwestern culturally. I've been to Boston, and didn't care for the city much....what is town and campus of Amherst like culturally?

Amherst has some cool stuff to do in the area- breweries/brew pubs, SoHo (South Hampton, don't know how that slang came to be), there are a variety of lectures around due to the colleges, etc. It is definitely a much different culture from Boston

Oh, okay. Thanks for letting me know. I have a friend who's currently working with a Student Affairs degree from there. But she's working in Arcadia's disability office now, so since I'm a counseling slant, I wasn't sure how versatile (or not) their program actually was!

• 5 months later...

Of your list I've heard good things about MSU, Bowling Green, Indiana State, Miami U of Ohio, UConn, Ohio State, and UMass (the good things that I've heard though come from the poster above, so I might be adding it to my list of schools I'm considering as well).

I'm in the same position as the OP, looking at programs for Fall 2014 in Student Affairs or with a focus in student affairs. I have a lot of the same criteria (looking for a program more focused in practice over theory, will offer good financial aid/assistantships, etc). I'm wondering if anyone knows about Rutgers, Univ of Southern California, and/or University of Washington's programs? Those are the out of state schools that I'm considering (I'm from Michigan originally).

Of your list I've heard good things about MSU, Bowling Green, Indiana State, Miami U of Ohio, UConn, Ohio State, and UMass (the good things that I've heard though come from the poster above, so I might be adding it to my list of schools I'm considering as well).

I'm in the same position as the OP, looking at programs for Fall 2014 in Student Affairs or with a focus in student affairs. I have a lot of the same criteria (looking for a program more focused in practice over theory, will offer good financial aid/assistantships, etc). I'm wondering if anyone knows about Rutgers, Univ of Southern California, and/or University of Washington's programs? Those are the out of state schools that I'm considering (I'm from Michigan originally).

Can I ask what you've heard about UConn's HESA program? I haven't heard a lot of good things about the program but the fact that it's fully funded definitely makes it an option.. 

Can I ask what you've heard about UConn's HESA program? I haven't heard a lot of good things about the program but the fact that it's fully funded definitely makes it an option.. 

I actually hadn't heard that it was fully funded. I heard about their program through someone that I knew who was applying to a few student affairs programs including UConn, so I know the curriculum is comparable to other schools in the area. Also from my own research they do seem to have quite a few assistantship offerings in a variety of departments (to me that's a positive). However I think I saw that it said they only take 16 students each year, so a very competitive program. Beyond that I haven't heard/seen any other specifics. Sorry if my original post was misleading. The programs that I picked out are programs that people have mentioned to me in my own program search as places I might consider. I don't really have much inside scoop on all of them.

I actually hadn't heard that it was fully funded. I heard about their program through someone that I knew who was applying to a few student affairs programs including UConn, so I know the curriculum is comparable to other schools in the area. Also from my own research they do seem to have quite a few assistantship offerings in a variety of departments (to me that's a positive). However I think I saw that it said they only take 16 students each year, so a very competitive program. Beyond that I haven't heard/seen any other specifics. Sorry if my original post was misleading. The programs that I picked out are programs that people have mentioned to me in my own program search as places I might consider. I don't really have much inside scoop on all of them.

Not a problem! Yes, UConn's program is free - they waive tuition for HESA students and on top of that you get a stipend for your assistantship. Leaving grad school with potentially no loans sounds amazing...

Not a problem! Yes, UConn's program is free - they waive tuition for HESA students and on top of that you get a stipend for your assistantship. Leaving grad school with potentially no loans sounds amazing...

You may have just convinced me to look into UConn further! Do they waive full tuition for out of state students as well or just the out of state portion is waived?

You may have just convinced me to look into UConn further! Do they waive full tuition for out of state students as well or just the out of state portion is waived?

Yup, they waive tuition for everyone - I think they just require students to pay basic student fees which came up to be approximately $950 last time I checked! 

• 1 month later...

Hey, the OP is back :)

I'm expanding my search to the South -

Anyone know anything about the student affairs programs at:

James Madison University

Virginia Tech

University of Georgia

University of Tennessee - Knoxville

I've heard that UGA's program has a great reputation, but I'm finding so-so information about culture at UGA as a school (huge, no sense of community, etc.). Any opinions on this?

Any other solid, cohort-based programs in the Midwest or South that offer an assistantship and tuition waiver?

It isn't in the midwest or south, but you might consider Rutgers-New Brunswick's EdM program in College Student Affairs.  It provides full tuition remission + a stipend to all admitted students.

Program page is here:  http://gse.rutgers.edu/academic-programs/edm-programs/college-student-affairs-ed-m

Hope that helps!

It isn't in the midwest or south, but you might consider Rutgers-New Brunswick's EdM program in College Student Affairs.  It provides full tuition remission + a stipend to all admitted students.

Program page is here:  http://gse.rutgers.edu/academic-programs/edm-programs/college-student-affairs-ed-m

Hope that helps!

If you don't mind me kind of diverging away from the OP's request, what sort of things have you heard about Rutgers? I've heard that while their program is pretty good, the area that it's in is not so great and it made me kind of hesistant about potentially moving out there...

New Brunswick is a total college town - everything revolves around Rutgers.  In that respect it's very similar to other other towns with big public universities.  It's also just an hour train ride to/from Manhattan.

I would not say the same about the other Rutgers campuses (in Newark and Camden), but New Brunswick is just fine and perfectly safe.