Interview topics to prepare for

alkaline262

So I have my first interview coming up very soon, and I have been looking back through the topics for the kinds of questions people have been asked during interviews. I am practicing these topics by reading questions out loud, thinking for a moment, and then answering the questions out loud. I am not trying to coach myself or develop "canned" answers to interview questions, but more trying to get a good sense of what might be asked and have a few points I want to make already in my head that I can elaborate on organically in the context of the interview. 

A few questions I came across in this forum enough to consider common:

What is your objective of applying for PhD?

Why choose this university?

Describe a challenge you have overcome?

Why do you want to be in this program?

What other schools have you applied to?

What kind of career do you want in the future?

What have you done since graduating?

Does anyone else have examples of common topics, or even specific questions they have been asked in an interview? 

Also be prepared for questions about your past research (if applicable) as well as more open-ended questions. "What do you enjoy doing in your free time?" came up at every single interview I had...not a difficult or trick question, but it can kind of throw you for a loop if you get into that one track INTERVIEW MODE mindset like I tend to do. Remember the interview isn't necessarily so much of a way to assess your credentials (which they can get from your application/CV) but perhaps more of a way to asses you as a person and see if you're the type of person they want in their program.

In a phone interview I was asked by a POI "why do you want to work with me instead of the other dozens of professors in this field at other universities".

Now that is a tough one, how did you respond? I guess I would have made a comment about the attention grabbing topic of the last paper...tough one though

I recently had a "conversation" with a professor of a grad school that was a bit unsettling for me. Do professors usually ask questions about techniques, meaning will someone ask me how a nanodrop measure protein concentration, or what wavelength proteins are measured at, or something similar? I am still reviewing every single concept for every single techniques I use, just to be prepared, and also trying to anticipate questions about my research that are a little beyond the scope of my research.

I'm not surprised you had that, ion_exchanger. One professor (the head of his dept/program I was applying) was surprised that I did so much work for one of my projects, and spent a good ten minutes asking which input variable I used in the statistics analysis, why did I not use this regression method, (keep in mind I was NOT applying for a statistics program), why not test this x-related phenomenon, etc. It felt like I was defending my master's thesis ahead of time. x_x I hope this isn't that common though, since it was unnerving to an already nervous me. But if it is, I would say going over your past projects would be a good idea.

I've been reading up on other peoples' interview experiences, and not a lot say that they are grilled, but I think that if you are not sure of an answer to a question, it can sure feel that way. I am already naturally shy, and am desperate not to come across as if I don't know what I have spent the last 2 years doing.

Now that is a tough one, how did you respond? I guess I would have made a comment about the attention grabbing topic of the last paper...tough one though

I botched that particular phone interview.  But I learned that I need to really stress my "fit" with a particular professor.  In subsequent interviews (phone & in-person) I have emphasized how their current research overlaps with my background/interests...

Be prepared to explain any blips in your resume, and try to put a good spin on them.

My first job out of college (Teach For America) was an epic fail, but it led to my next job and explained what I was doing for nine months, so had to be listed under the work experience section. Naturally, they wanted to know why I quit mid school year. I tried to present thing diplomatically, putting the responsibility on myself, not my school or the students. I explained what TFA did well and what the didn't do well, and the parts of the job I felt ill prepared for as a consequence. I highlighted the things I learned and the ways I had grown in the time since then.

A med school person said she always asked med school applicants why they wanted to go to med school, and when they answered "because I want to help people", she would push for why they wanted to help people through becoming a doctor, rather than in one of many other "helpful" fields. I think the same can apply to grad school. Make sure you answer why you want to go into THIS field rather than another, and THIS university rather than another.

Be prepared with questions you want to ask them - this is probably the question I prepare for the most ("What questions do you have for me?"), because I want to sound like I'm familiar with their work, the university, the department, and what grad life entails in general. I've only had two interviews so far, but both of them lead with this question.

I was asked how I chose all of my schools, what tied them together and what parameters went into whittling them down.  Compared to more technical questions it wasn't exactly Hardball, but I'm glad it was something I had thought about before it came up.  I think if you have multiple interests and your school list reflects that you should be able to explain how your interests are intertwined.