ITALIAN program 2013

citizenoftheworld

Hello Everybody,

I was wondering whether there is anybody who is applying for Ph.D. in Italian for next academic year. This language is not well represented at all even in the forum and would be nice to get to talk to each other at least.

Come on lovers of the "bel paese" where are you? where have you applied to?

Citizen..... :-)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Citizen! I agree, Italian always seems to be underrepresented everywhere! I applied for this coming fall for a PhD program, but as this is my second time around applying, I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up (just in case). Where did you apply?

Hi guys, I am Italian and I applied to Duke and Michigan Ann Arbor programs in Italian Studies (plus Minnesota and Notre Dame programs in Comparative Literatures). I have just received the invitation to the PhD admission interviews from Duke... I cannot stress enough how thrilled and excited I am! I hope I will get something like that from Notre Dame too, they are my top choices and it would be fantastic to visit both universities during the same trip (also because I need about 18 hours to get to Durham or South Bend!).

Bravissimo Vincenzo........

I am in a completely different location North East however it would be great to keep in touch and communicate even privately.

When are you coming to the USA? send me private message I am in the US already and you can either write to me in Italian or English 

;-)

Congrats, Vincenzo.  I also applied to Michigan.  How did they notify you?

Mail. Very nice and with a personalized offer attached as a pdf file. They invited me to the PhD Weekend 23-24 February too, so during the same trip I should be able to visit all the universities that accepted me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ciao ragazzi,

I've applied to five programs: four in Romance Language & Lit. Departments, and one in Comparative Literature. Although these programs combine two or more Romance Languages, Italian would be my primary. However, I have yet to hear back from any of the programs! Here's to hoping that February starts to pass a little more quickly.

Edited by kyleisawesome

Buona sera, compagni,

I applied to the University of Oregon, Berkeley, Stanford, Duke, and Harvard. Stanford and Berkeley are great schools, but I'm from the Bay Area and don't know if I want to be there for another seven years...

Has anyone heard from Harvard yet? Also, does anyone happen to know whether Harvard interviews first before they accept or reject you? Because from the results search it seems like they give you a decision in the third week of February, I just don't know whether the people who are accepted in the third week of February have already gone to Harvard to interview, in which case I'm not very hopeful about my acceptance since it's the second week of February.

Hi guys,

did anyone apply to Brown University?

I had a couple of interviews with Brown's people at the beginning of January but have not heard anything since then.

I also applied to NYU, CUNY Graduate Center, Yale and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

So far I got an acceptance letter from Madison ( :) ) but no news from the others.

Good luck to everybody!

AlexAD

PS: I applied for Italian Studies, Phd, Fall 2013

AlexAD

congratulation for your acceptance at Madison at least you are sure about a position!

Unfortunately I cannot help you however I did apply to NYU too and Rutgers, Please let me know if you hear anything from NYU it is a long shot though!

Congrats again and let's keep in touch!

CItizenoftheworld!

ciao Red&Blue,

Welcome to our post for Italians :-) it seems we are not that many at least who decide t post and share their experience. At the end of the day we ar eall i the same boat and we are or will be colleagues indeed.

Your choice is all of excellent school just out f curiosity what is you dream school and what are your interests?

My interests are in modern and contemporary Italian literature and cultural studies. where did you do your MA? or BA?

see you more often here I hope ;)

Buona notte!

Ciao ragazzi!

I'm glad to find some fellow Italophiles here on the forum! :)

I've been accepted to Berkeley's Comparative Literature program and am still waiting to hear back from Harvard's Romance department. 

In bocca al lupo a tutti!

Hi guys,

I've been accepted to Brown University and I'm very happy about that.

No news from NYU, Yale and Cuny Grad Center though.

alexad

ps: congratulations Lettrice, Berkeley is a cool place!