ITALIAN program 2013

citizenoftheworld

Who else got horrible news from Harvard today? I was wait listed via mail.

I'm sorry to hear that, vanessyd!  :(  I haven't heard anything yet, but I live in Europe so it takes a few more days for post to arrive. :unsure:

Hi guys,

I've been accepted to Brown University and I'm very happy about that.

No news from NYU, Yale and Cuny Grad Center though.

alexad

ps: congratulations Lettrice, Berkeley is a cool place!

Thanks, AlexAD!  And congrats to you, too, for Brown!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cari amici,

Does anyone have any thoughts on the state of Italian at UCLA?

I applied to a bunch of schools this year to do a PhD in Romance or Hispanic Linguistics, and Italian would be my secondary field. I did my undergrad and part of my M.A. in Italian, and I studied in Italy for two years (on two separate occasions), but most of my recent work and studies have focused more on Spanish.

I have been accepted to the Spanish & Portuguese department at UCLA, so I am in the middle of researching them in more depth now. As part of my decision-making process, I would like to get an up-to-date idea of how the Italian department at UCLA is doing these days. Specifically, I am interested in Italian dialectology and sociolinguistics, which are not widely studied in US universities, I know.

I have also been admitted to CUNY Grad and Georgia (GA is for Romance Linguistics), and I am still waiting on replies from UMass Amherst, Michigan, and Ohio State. I'm pretty sure I won't be accepted to these last two, since I know that other people have already been accepted and I have heard nothing. But the deadline for UMass was only a few weeks ago, so I still consider that a "maybe". But I get the feeling that my choice is going to come down to UCLA vs. CUNY.

If anyone has any thoughts on Italian studies (specifically linguistics) at any of those schools, I would be very appreciative!

Congratulazioni a tutti quelli che hanno già ricevuto delle belle notizie! Per quelli che stanno ancora aspettando, "in culo alla balena!"

Best, 

J-froms

Cari amici,

Does anyone have any thoughts on the state of Italian at UCLA?

Ciao J-froms!

From what I've heard, UCLA has a very strong Italian program.  I met someone at a conference a few years ago doing his Ph.D. there who was very happy with the program (and now, post-graduating, has a great professorship back east!).  I know there is an Italian consortium (CICIS) of all the UC schools; they have conferences at least annually.  I'm not sure about the dialectology/sociolinguistics aspect you are interested in, but if you'd like, private message me and I can give you the email of the guy I met at the conference, who might be able to better answer your question! 

Forza ragazzi!! :)

Ciao a tutti

Waiting is very hard! especially because sometimes it takes our mind completely.

I strongly believe that until all schools' results are out we cannot tell anything because it is than that  we decide where or whether accept and refuse and so spots move along.

Somebody said about Rutgers but I have not heard anything about it. Is there anyone who claim the admission there?

grazie and fingers crossed 

Ciao a tutti,

At this time of the year I believe all the universities results are out so who is going where and if you are refusing any offer?

We all wait for NYU we can state whether it would be out first choice or not. I applied basically only there and Rutgers but haven't heard anything from this last ether has anyone in here?

Apparently there should be also Columbia which has not released its admissions so let's have a shift of answer guys who is going where up to now? I am not going anywhere (not yet at least).....

you?........

Thank you Fedeica,

Good luck to you too. have you had any luck up to now? I did not apparently but did only two applications what about yourself?

Did you hear from Rutgers? here noone claims the admission either...I do not understand why :-)

are you Italian or American?

Thank you Citizen.

I haven't had any luck up to now... only rejection letters. :(

I haven't heard from Rutgers yet. I don't understand why but they should send letters out soon.

I am 100% Italian but I am getting my B.A. in Italian Studies at an American institution.

Fedeica

thank you very much for your reply. I am Italian too and getting my MA in Italian studies here in the US.

Rutgers should simply send an email telling to go and check the internet site where they should have let us know the decision.

Unfortunately people told me they never "waste" the time to acknowledge applicants of their rejections. So do not know if we will ever hear anyhting from them. If I was you I would also consider MA programs and then move into PhD.

Imbocca al lupo di cuore! credo tu stia studiando a Roma ;)

a presto e chi ha notizie prima informa l'altro!

Ciao Citizen,

Grazie mille per il consiglio :) A questo punto, penso davvero di dover considerare un MA program... let's move to plan B :D

News from Rutgers or Columbia??? -.-

In bocca al lupo anche a te! yes, I am studying in Rome ;)