upset about acceptance rate- MSW UPENN

jm2012

Hello all, I applied Early Decision for DEC 31 deadline for upenn for MSW, secured an interview and got tickets/hotel and have been preparing for my interview....well, last night I attended an online info session in which they told me that last year they let in only 20% of all applicants!!!! I am so sad and feel so stupid....I have been emailing professors since October, applied extra early with a voucher from the dean and have been preparing for the interview like crazy...but how can i possibly  have any hope with those odds?!! any advice,??? should I just ignore and it try my best? I feel so stupid, not knowing what I was up against....

...last year they let in only 20% of all applicants!!!! 

You already have an interview, so your odds are good!  They said they only let in 20% of ALL applicants, including the ones they don't interview, correct?  So, don't worry!  Just do your best!

I'm not sure what you're upset about - 20% is not that bad. As Lemeard notes, the acceptance rate of interviewed applicants is probably much higher. Keep prepping for the interview, and you'll be fine.

That said, I have no idea why four people down-voted you. Geez, show a little compassion - we're all under stress here.

I'm not sure what you're upset about - 20% is not that bad. As Lemeard notes, the acceptance rate of interviewed applicants is probably much higher. Keep prepping for the interview, and you'll be fine.

That said, I have no idea why four people down-voted you. Geez, show a little compassion - we're all under stress here.

For what it's worth, mine was a mistake. It happens a lot when I read the boards with a touchscreen.

Upped to help compensate. Deep breaths. Who's to say you AREN'T highly qualified enough to be in that 20%? You sound invested and enthusiastic, and probably have amazing reasons why you're a great fit for the program. You've got this!

Having an interview already means you may be in that 20%. If it makes you feel better the highest acceptance rate of all the schools I applied to is 5% and the lowest 1%.  :D 

• 4 weeks later...

I have just want to let you know that when I went to the information session at PENN, the woman in charge of admissions (I can't recall her name now) told us that there was a SEVENTY FIVE percent acceptance rate. She reassured a few people that it is NOT as competitive as many believe and that UPENNs "reputation" scares many from applying. I'm not sure how accurate that was, but that is what she told me and a number of other people at an info session in the beginning of December 2012. All I can say is that you are lucky that you have gotten an interview already - I was very last minute in the application process which has left me very anxious. I have a feeling you will do great though- your passion is evident, and that counts for A LOT. Good luck!

The 20% number you found online really is for ALL applicants to the program, not just the ones invited to interview. For example, a program that has 20 spots will interview 40-50 applicants. Of those, they'll accept over 50% to the program because a few will drop and choose not to attend. So if 25-30 applicants out of 40 that were interviewed are offered acceptance and you've been offered an interview, you've got a great chance. No worries! I feel like the interview process is mostly to make sure you're the same person that you were in your application and to make sure you're not crazy.

Honestly, you kind of want the acceptance rate to be low. I know it doesn’t feel like it now, but I think that may be the stress talking. If you want to go to a school with a higher acceptance rate than I promise you there are less competitive programs. I'm sure one of the things that drew you to UPenn was the reputation, and with reputation comes selectivity. Obviously fit is crucial in your decision making process, but I think if we are being honest with ourselves there is a reason everyone wants to go to an ivy league school, and its not because you cant get a good education someplace else.

So take a deep breath. You got an interview; you haven’t been rejected. I honestly don’t see how you can think you are wasting your time. You’ve had nothing but good news, so be positive until you have a reason not to be. It looks like you are still very much in the running to be in that lucky 20 percent.