Quick, Informal Phone Chat Sent Right After App Due Date?

jem6dd

Hi All,

My target school's application due date was yesterday (1/15), and I got an email today from my POI saying thus:

"Hi _____. Thanks for applying to the __School of Ed based___ PhD program! The faculty will be meeting for our first discussion of admissions early next week. Before that I'd like to have a quick, informal phone chat with you if possible. I know it's short notice, but would you be available for a phone call tomorrow or Friday? Specifically (eastern time zone): [Time#1, Time #2]"

I've not had an academic interview of any type before (thankfully I've had a couple recent phone job interviews), and I'm trying not to read into this too much...anyone have similar experiences they can share and if this is a good sign, what the between-the-lines may be?  The celerity in response seems pretty positive as does the fact it's my POI but I'm extremely naive here...

Also, what the heck is an informal phone chat?  I've been in communication with the POI before and my SOP specifically talks about his lab and working with him (what I can add), so I assume it will have to do with research interests.  Does anyone out there have experience with this type of pseudo-interview?  What can I expect?   

I would appreciate any and all suggestions/thoughts/warnings/etc.  With candor, if possible ;)  Thanks so much.  First morning in awhile I'm not sure if it's the coffee making me shake...

Whatever happens, man it feels good to be noticed.  I'm guessing a lot of you can relate...I've had more than my share of rejections.

I don't know anything about your field, but I'm pretty sure this is a good (great!) sign. My guess is that he wants to get some more information about you and your interests to take with him to the faculty meeting, meaning he wants to have all the ammo he needs to fight for your acceptance. And it sounds like the informal chat is just that. He wants a little more info on what he's read in your application, or maybe clarification, rather than formal interview questions like, "why this field?" "why this program?" Since you've been in contact with him previously, but he wants to chat again now that he's seen your app, I would take that as a sign that your application is strong and now that he's certain you're a viable candidate, there's more he'd like to know. Congrats!

I don't know anything about your field, but I'm pretty sure this is a good (great!) sign. My guess is that he wants to get some more information about you and your interests to take with him to the faculty meeting, meaning he wants to have all the ammo he needs to fight for your acceptance. And it sounds like the informal chat is just that. He wants a little more info on what he's read in your application, or maybe clarification, rather than formal interview questions like, "why this field?" "why this program?" Since you've been in contact with him previously, but he wants to chat again now that he's seen your app, I would take that as a sign that your application is strong and now that he's certain you're a viable candidate, there's more he'd like to know. Congrats!

Thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated :)  I hope the 'chat' is pretty simple, and like you said will serve to clarify some questions he might have.  I'm kind of shocked he got back to me so quickly...I'm quite excited, but unsure exactly what will happen.  Hopefully it leads someone positive!

I got kind of the same thing. After I got my interview letter, my POI emailed me and asked if I had time for an informal chat, to go over any concerns I had about the interview weekend etc. We talked for about an hour and half - about my research, about his research, about my academic history and his, the university, the program - actually all kinds of stuff. He asked if I had questions about the interview and he told me what to kind of expect, not to worry too much about impressing people, to be myself etc. It was kinda like an encouragement chat. It was really nice and very comforting. 

Of course, that may or may not be the case with your POI but thought you might get something out of my experience. 

I got kind of the same thing. After I got my interview letter, my POI emailed me and asked if I had time for an informal chat, to go over any concerns I had about the interview weekend etc. We talked for about an hour and half - about my research, about his research, about my academic history and his, the university, the program - actually all kinds of stuff. He asked if I had questions about the interview and he told me what to kind of expect, not to worry too much about impressing people, to be myself etc. It was kinda like an encouragement chat. It was really nice and very comforting. 

Of course, that may or may not be the case with your POI but thought you might get something out of my experience. 

That is pretty helpful info, though it sounds a bit different from the 'chat' I'll have.  The POI never made mention of a pre-interview interview, rather emphasizing the informality of the talk and the fact it would take about 15 minutes, and that he wanted to talk a bit before the adcom meeting.  The timing seems to indicate what Bearcat1 said...he's gathering some general info to take in as ammo.  I'm guessing he'll ask about potential gaps in my app (ha) and research alignment, potential funding and assistantship concerns.  I'm not sure what will happen, but it seems a decision will be made early next week at the first adcom meeting, rather than after a formal interview.  I'll see, I guess.  If someone thinks I'm way off base, let me know...