PhD Program Decisions?

ashsw

When I was completeing applications, I honestly believed that every school I applied to was one that I would be thrilled to go to. However, the longer I wait, the more I think about it and now I don't even know. I know I've said this before, but I just want to start hearing back from schools!

I know what you mean! I was so choosy about where I applied, trying to get the perfect fit, but now the longer I wait, the less I'm sure I even want to go to some of these places. (Of course, maybe that's just my mind's way of psyching myself out so I'm not disappointed if I don't get in!) Good luck! Hopefully we will all get some responses this week!

Hi all!

I received a call from one of my programs, and I was accepted! I am still eagerly awaiting my other two programs so I can make my decision, but I am so incredibly relieved and happy. Hope you all hear good news next week :)

Ashley

Congratulations! How exciting! It's so nice to get that first positive response, because at least you know you got in, even if it's not your top choice! 

Hi all!

I received a call from one of my programs, and I was accepted! I am still eagerly awaiting my other two programs so I can make my decision, but I am so incredibly relieved and happy. Hope you all hear good news next week :)

Ashley

Thats awesome!!! I'm so happy for you  :) .

Congrats ashsw! That is awesome! :D

I know what you mean! I was so choosy about where I applied, trying to get the perfect fit, but now the longer I wait, the less I'm sure I even want to go to some of these places. (Of course, maybe that's just my mind's way of psyching myself out so I'm not disappointed if I don't get in!) Good luck! Hopefully we will all get some responses this week!

It's ridiculous how much I have talked myself out of some of the places. I think you are right, though, I may just be trying to cushion myself from possible rejection.

Just curious, at what point is it appropriate to contact schools about the status of you application? I know now is still a little early, but when is the right time? Also, is it better to call the secretary or send an email?

I was just wondering this as well. One of my programs specifically says that we won't hear until late February-early March, so I don't want to bother them. But one of them I turned in on December 1, so it's been 2-1/2 months. Fortunately, no one in my concentration has been posting acceptances from that school (UNC, for the behavioral health track). I'm thinking I will email. The administrative assistant is probably getting lots of calls, and I'm thinking she might at least appreciate an email, which she can respond to when she has time. Maybe try an email first, and if you don't hear back in a few days, then try calling.

@simonetta-my experience has been that even if you email the graduate admissions assistant eventually the director of the phd program gets back to you with the information....so I would suggest emailing the PhD program director....

I was just wondering this as well. One of my programs specifically says that we won't hear until late February-early March, so I don't want to bother them. But one of them I turned in on December 1, so it's been 2-1/2 months. Fortunately, no one in my concentration has been posting acceptances from that school (UNC, for the behavioral health track). I'm thinking I will email. The administrative assistant is probably getting lots of calls, and I'm thinking she might at least appreciate an email, which she can respond to when she has time. Maybe try an email first, and if you don't hear back in a few days, then try calling.

I know this is something I need to do, I just don't want to seem like a pest, or hear a bunch of "no"s!

@simonetta-my experience has been that even if you email the graduate admissions assistant eventually the director of the phd program gets back to you with the information....so I would suggest emailing the PhD program director....

I am sure that you are right, somerset, but I am not brave enough for that. I think I would feel like I was overstepping myself, so I would be overly apologetic. Thus, making me seem like the least assertive person ever!

Thanks everybody!  :)  Honestly, all of my programs were my top choices.  They all have very positive things to them.  I only wanted to apply to my top choice programs, so it is really difficult to rank them.

I emailed the admin folks for my programs and just asked what the timeline was like, not about me in specific.  In the end, I was told to email the PhD director for two of the programs to check in.  So, I would start with the admin person and see what they say and go from there.  I don't think it will harm your chances any; unless you demand to know specifically where you are on the list! 

Thanks everybody!  :)  Honestly, all of my programs were my top choices.  They all have very positive things to them.  I only wanted to apply to my top choice programs, so it is really difficult to rank them.

I emailed the admin folks for my programs and just asked what the timeline was like, not about me in specific.  In the end, I was told to email the PhD director for two of the programs to check in.  So, I would start with the admin person and see what they say and go from there.  I don't think it will harm your chances any; unless you demand to know specifically where you are on the list! 

Yea..that can be a tough especially if all of the programs are your first choice. Maybe you can ask yourself: "can i REALLY see myself living in *blank* city for 4-6 years?" 

Hi guys, I am just about to post it on the results page, but I wanted to post it here first:  I was offically accepted to Michigan State!

Congrats! i actually have a good friend who is finishing up her first year at Michigan State! Shes said nothing but good things about the school. Over the summer i the opportunity to visit Michigan (FYI: i'm from California) and i toured the school...thought it was a nice campus :-). It's totally different from schools in california but it seemed welcoming. 

@thomasd88- Well that is good to hear! I have never been to East Lansing, but I imagine  will be scheduling a trip up there soon. :)

@ashsw & somerset- Thanks!!! I am quite excited!

In other news, I received my official rejection from Washington University in St. Louis today via e-mail. Just wanted to keep you guys informed.

I was rejected by them too! But they are too much of a public health school for me to really want to go there (thats what my defense mechanisms are telling me;) )

Oh I wish wish my other last 2 schools would get back to me!

@ applicant2013fall- Thanks! At least we know where we stand? Right?

@ somerset- I, too, have been utilizing that particular defense mechanism. I think it's healthy, or something...  I hope your other programs respond soon!

@ Post-it Poet- Thanks! I'm sorry to hear that you have no new news! I hate all this waiting!

Sorry, applicant2013fall, that's not a school I applied to. Good luck though!

I hope everyone is hearing good news this week!

Today and yesterday were pretty action packed:

Accepted: IUPUI

Waitlisted: University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign

Rejected: University of Chicago

And Michigan State offered me a pretty stellar fellowship! All in all, more good news than bad, in my opinion.

Waiting on: University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin- Madision, University of Illinois-Chicago, University of Iowa, Florida State, University of Minnesota- Twin Cities