Smith MSW Early Acceptance

Emlee13256

Me too! Are any of you thinking through the costs of Smith? Is it worth it to you considering how little MSWs make? I'm trying to decide where to go, partly based on what kind of loan burden I can handle; I would be 40K in debt after Smith.

If you're one of those lucky people whose parents can pay for things, dont let me know, I will be jealous. ;-)

I am definitely concerned about the cost but most of the MSW programs with a clinical focus fall in the same price range. Lol no rich parents here! Have you decided if you are going to accept?

I am definitely concerned about the cost but most of the MSW programs with a clinical focus fall in the same price range. Lol no rich parents here! Have you decided if you are going to accept?

I will be greatly in debt, but I likely will accept. There are loan forgiveness opportunities I plan to pursue that will help. I realized I would be in debt when I chose to apply. It is worth it to me, because of the caliber of Smith and the unique program. I also think the block plan will make it more practical to work during the two years. I am excited and willing to be in debt. I see the cost as finite and the positives as infinite. (I realize many people reading this will see it differently and I enjoy hearing other perspectives as much as the next person, however: I am offering this as my perspective, not as an invitation for debate.)

Thanks to you both for your replies. I'm going to crunch the numbers this weekend; most likely I'll go to Smith, I'm excited about the program.

I'm also hoping the block plan will let me work more easily; I've calculated I'll want to earn about 1500/month throughout, about 15 hours per week of work. Fingers crossed I can make this happen through freelance gigs...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you both for your replies. I'm going to crunch the numbers this weekend; most likely I'll go to Smith, I'm excited about the program.

I'm also hoping the block plan will let me work more easily; I've calculated I'll want to earn about 1500/month throughout, about 15 hours per week of work. Fingers crossed I can make this happen through freelance gigs...

Hi Rooibos123 - I was also wondering about being able to do paid work during the program. Have you talked to any current students about this being feasible? I know from reading Smith SSW's Dispatches blog that at least one student is juggling a full-time job while in school. Not sure how common that is, though. We'll see, I guess! I'm starting this June after having deferred a year. Congrats on your acceptance!

Hi Rooibos123 - I was also wondering about being able to do paid work during the program. Have you talked to any current students about this being feasible? I know from reading Smith SSW's Dispatches blog that at least one student is juggling a full-time job while in school. Not sure how common that is, though. We'll see, I guess! I'm starting this June after having deferred a year. Congrats on your acceptance!

Congratulations dp2065!!!!

I will be starting in June, as well. It's all so exciting. This gradcafe forum has been extremely helpful... And continues to be- I appreciate you mentioning the Dispatches Blog, because I haven't looked at it in awhile and I'm still figuring a lot out- like working etc. You must be especially looking forward to beginning, after deferring-congrats again!

Congratulations dp2065!!!!

I will be starting in June, as well. It's all so exciting. This gradcafe forum has been extremely helpful... And continues to be- I appreciate you mentioning the Dispatches Blog, because I haven't looked at it in awhile and I'm still figuring a lot out- like working etc. You must be especially looking forward to beginning, after deferring-congrats again!

Congrats to you, as well!! You're right, I'm really itching to get started after waiting a whole year. I've been reading every single Dispatches post... if only to live vicariously through those current students in the meantime :) 

Are you planning to live on campus during the summers? I've been trying to figure out the housing situation from afar (I'm in CA), and I think I've landed a room sublet in Northampton, but we'll see. The campus housing seems super expensive.