What should I expect at upcoming visit day event?

Angulimala

Hey guys.  I recently got invited to a school for a visit day.  While this is exciting I am also very nervous.  So far this is my only route to grad school next semester and I really do not want to screw it up.  To make it even more nerve racking this particular school was my top choice.  

I was just wondering if anybody on here has been to one of these before?  What should I expect in regards to activities?  Are there going to be formal or informal interviews?  If so, what kind of questions should I prepare for? etc....

I just have no clue what to expect.  The thing that worries me the most is that I am coming pretty much straight from undergrad I am worried about being up against people who have substantially more research experience, i.e. those coming from Masters programs and/or jobs that provided research experience.  How much will this hurt me?  Thanks in advance to anybody helps me out and responds.

I don't know what to expect, because my program didn't have an interview process. But don't worry about being up against MA folks. They will accept some MAs and some BAs regardless. Just because they have more experience doesn't mean they are more likely to get in. My cohort had a decent mix. They don't expect you to be on the same level as someone with an MA (though there is less difference in experience/knowledge than you think). 

Which school? People have posted their experiences at interviews at various schools. I've heard different things between Emory versus Notre Dame, for instance. 

I also agree with what erinvechols said regarding competing with those with MA/MS. There are different expectations depending on your degree. 

Edited by Willows

Congrats!  I also got invited for the Notre Dame visit, but it conflicts with another interview, so I'm doing it via Skype.  

But, I remembered reading about the interview a while back, so thought I'd pass along the thread:  

Also, search the Sociology forum, and you might be able to find more :)

The last ND visit had something like 5 spots and 15 visitors if I remember correctly. I'll try to find where I read that so I can provide accurate data. So, don't rely on those numbers.

Even if those stats are true, remember 5 sports doesn't mean 5 acceptances.  If we want like 8 people, we might accept like 12-16.  Just to be clear!

1) Be professional.  You're not being "accepted" into some purely academic program, you're getting "hired" as a junior colleague.  2) Know what the professors you're interested in write about!  Ideally read some of their articles before you go.  You don't need to know everything, but you should know your stuff.  3) Don't be afraid to admit you don't know something, just be curious about the things you don't know.  4) Be polite.  To everyone. 5) Be social, but don't drink too much.  6) Other than that, know that they're starting to try to sell the school to YOU.  They're at least as interested in you as you are in them.  Once you get to a visit day that doesn't have an interview part (as in, visit days at all but like three schools), it's all about them convincing you, and you can totally relax.

But really, it's natural once you get there.  It's a weird mix of a job interview and summer camp.  And it's fun!  Spend time with the grad students if you can, they'll tell you the "real deals".  Try to get "the real deal" about the professors you want to work with!

^My adviser reports that whether you're hosting someone at a conference, emailing for help, visiting at a program, or attending a workshop or seminar -- you must always read the person whom you intend to speak with before you do.  

It's bush league not to (their words).

Edited by econosocio

Wait, just for clarification: you have been accepted into the program and are going to visit? Or you've been invited to visit and interview as the last stage of the application process?

If it's the former, don't sweat it. Like, at all.

If it's the latter, then still don't sweat it all that much. My guess is the last thing they're checking you for is fit-- just know why you want to be at that department and be able to articulate it. Also, refrain from being a complete jerk and/or spazz while visiting.

Also, you shouldn't be concerned that being straight out of undergrad is in any way a liability. Most programs are set up to accept people straight out of undergrad. The majority of the people making the visit circuit at top programs last year were either straight out of undergrad or pretty close to it. They know your background, and they are going to judge you within that context.

Lastly, congratulations!

Generally you'll want to ask as many snide, passive aggressive questions about the department's focus as possible, single out the faculty's top publications for open scrutiny, and work to quickly identify and offend the politics of your peers that host you.  When you start getting blowback from that, lecture the students and faculty about how they need to grow a thicker skin.  Lastly, express heartfelt excitement in the program before passing gas in the elevator on the way to the airport.

It is the Notre Dame visit day

Congrats!

Yes, I was invited to the visit day last year. Here's how it goes:

They invite you out the day before all the "festivities." So, you'll end up there on a Thursday afternoon/evening. After you're all settled, you'll probably head out to the local pub/grille with grad students (to which some faculty might attend). It's a mingle night at a bar with a bunch of prospectives (~18-20). Very informal. You're trying to meet the grad students and "feel them out" (and vice versa). 

The next morning is the 8-hour formal visit day. I would dress semi-professional (business casual) as you will be meeting with at least 3 faculty members (based on your interests). First there's an info session for about an hour or two (DGS and Chair). Next, a campus tour. Then a lunch-series talk with all graduate students and faculty. Next, you meet with faculty to get to know each member (with whom your interests align). Finally, you'll meet with one of the members of the adcom about your reasons and interests in the dept. 

That night, after all your hard work, there will likely be a grad student (only) party. 

Be yourself. Let your interests shine. Don't be pretentious/arrogant. No one likes that! Remember, this is only an invite. You're not in yet!

Good luck all!

Edited by SocingHxC

Expect to be wined and dined.  Enjoy it because it's a great opportunity to meet scholars you're interested in working with (even if you don't attend that university)!

All I advise: Be open, friendly and polite.  Some of the prospectives you'll meet (even if they choose other places) will be future colleagues. Don't be a tool and brag. (This happened during one of my visits). 

Note: After being admitted, don't feel the need to visit EVERY school you got into.  If you know you're definitely not attending, skip the visit.  I felt like on the admission weekends, I was tiptoeing around trying to be as well read as possible around faculty, being nice to everyone... and it's not worth going if you know you're not going to be attending that program. Also, if you think you'll have a chance to see the city the university is in, you're very wrong because you will not have time for that.

Note: After being admitted, don't feel the need to visit EVERY school you got into.  If you know you're definitely not attending, skip the visit.  I felt like on the admission weekends, I was tiptoeing around trying to be as well read as possible around faculty, being nice to everyone... and it's not worth going if you know you're not going to be attending that program. 

I agree that there is no point in attending a visit for a school that you know you won't attend, but ideally you only applied to schools that were viable possibilities. If there is any school that you're on the fence about, definitely do whatever you can to get to the visit weekend. When I applied to grad school, I really wanted to get back to my home state and there were two strong programs that accepted me there. An undergrad professor urged me to not jump the gun and to visit as many schools as I could, even though it meant taking valuable time off from work and stretching myself financially. It was fantastic advice. After visiting other places, my two finalists ended up being neither of those schools back home. In fact, I ended up being torn between two schools that I really hadn't considered and had just applied to because it seemed like a good idea given my interests. I can't imagine how my life - and career - would be different if I hadn't visited them and instead had chosen a program based on location or a particular faculty member or something more superficial. A visit might give often give you an artificially positive view of the department (although I'd argue the reverse can be true and students will leave with an artificially negative view of a school, just depending on how the visit goes down - it's all a crap shoot), but it gives you a much more holistic view than a ranking or website or an internet forum.

Also, when you guys say the faculty are going to ask us about our research does this mean they are going to ask us about our research interests, research we conducted during undergraduate school, or research projects we will conduct once we are in graduate school?  If it is the latter should I outline a specific project that I want to pursue? Because of right now I only have ideas and maybe a potential thesis or two in mind.  I mean I know what I want to study and why I want to study it, and am aware of the major academic debates within my sub-field, but I haven't necessarily outlined my dissertation yet.  I just don't want to look like a complete idiot if this will be expected of us.

Also, when you guys say the faculty are going to ask us about our research does this mean they are going to ask us about our research interests, research we conducted during undergraduate school, or research projects we will conduct once we are in graduate school?  If it is the latter should I outline a specific project that I want to pursue? Because of right now I only have ideas and maybe a potential thesis or two in mind.  I mean I know what I want to study and why I want to study it, and am aware of the major academic debates within my sub-field, but I haven't necessarily outlined my dissertation yet.  I just don't want to look like a complete idiot if this will be expected of us.

I am the same way. I think you're good. I think as long as you have a firm grasp on your interests and the directions you want to go, you'll be fine. You don't need to say a specific plan with specific independent and dependent variables, especially if you're coming straight out of UG, in my honest opinion. Maybe if you were in the hard sciences...

Edited by Willows

Thanks, that was my biggest worry in regards to coming out of undergrad.  I am also coming from another social science background but with a decent amount of sociological experience... but at the same time, they were totally aware of that when reviewing my application.

I was talking to one of my profs about it and he said you have to find a balance. Its problematic if you already have a research agenda (ie having your dissertation already planned going into grad school), but its also problematic if you have no idea what you want to do. My plan going in is saying that I'm interested in studying racial minorities in higher education (or whatever semi-broad topic), but I'm also interested in broadening my interests, and then ask what projects they have coming up and follow up hardcore on that. That shows you have an agenda, but are flexible. It also gives you insight into what profs will be working and by expressing interest early, it might increase the probability of having an RAship rather than a TAship (if thats your thing)

I was talking to one of my profs about it and he said you have to find a balance. Its problematic if you already have a research agenda (ie having your dissertation already planned going into grad school), but its also problematic if you have no idea what you want to do. My plan going in is saying that I'm interested in studying racial minorities in higher education (or whatever semi-broad topic), but I'm also interested in broadening my interests, and then ask what projects they have coming up and follow up hardcore on that. That shows you have an agenda, but are flexible. It also gives you insight into what profs will be working and by expressing interest early, it might increase the probability of having an RAship rather than a TAship (if thats your thing)

I totally agree. That's basically the route I took with my SOP --  with the mentioning of a loose research topic that I said I was flexible with.