What should I expect at upcoming visit day event?

Angulimala

Yeah, its just an issue of finding the right balance. Having your own agenda is impressive and much needed to create your own voice as a scholar, but you are at grad school to learn, so you need to take advantage of already established scholars and work with them as much as possible. Finding the right balance is probably one of the main tricks of graduate school.

I was talking to one of my profs about it and he said you have to find a balance. Its problematic if you already have a research agenda (ie having your dissertation already planned going into grad school), but its also problematic if you have no idea what you want to do. My plan going in is saying that I'm interested in studying racial minorities in higher education (or whatever semi-broad topic), but I'm also interested in broadening my interests, and then ask what projects they have coming up and follow up hardcore on that. That shows you have an agenda, but are flexible. It also gives you insight into what profs will be working and by expressing interest early, it might increase the probability of having an RAship rather than a TAship (if thats your thing)

By the way, an ND acceptance would mean you're funded entirely by RAships, with options for TAships once you reach candidacy. Just a thought!

And of course, congratulations!

At the non-interview schools, I think you only really need to say "Well, I'm primarily interested in Sociology of ____ (or "social networks" or whatever).  I'm not sure exactly about thesis topics, but..." and then you can have an option of saying  "I'm kind of interested in ___, but you know how it is.  I'm open to other ideas." They know your topics are going to change, don't sweat it.

At interview schools, you might want to say "I'm primarily interested in Sociology of_____ (or better yet, briding ______ and _______).  I wrote my statement of purpose on _____." You have an option of saying "But I'm also interested in ____ and ____", or waiting for them to ask you about it.

I'm in a third year class where I see what all my colleagues are actually writing their dissertations on.  I obviously don't know what people wrote in their statements, but I think a maximum of 1/3 of the kids are doing something that closely resembles what they wrote in their statements.  Maximum.  One kid moved from video games to medical sociology (social networks approach so same adviser).  One kid moved from education to historical sociology (again, methodologically the same adviser).  One kid moved from class in a specific foreign country to science and technology in the same country.  One kid moved from globalization and gender to science/technology and gender.  My own project moved from something that mostly historical to something that is primarily ethnographic and possibly statistical, but still "sociology of religion" and in Turkey.  In all those cases there was something that stayed the same, but most of it changed.  Professors know that will happen.  Your statement of purpose is about coming up with an interesting, plausible research idea, and a general research area.  None of it is a binding contract.  Don't sweat it.  Just be interesting and charming, but once you're in, they're not going to not let you in.  I always mention, my first post-visit day meeting with my adviser went horribly, and I believe she thought I was a chauvanistic, ultra-nationalist.  She loves me now.  It's all good.  Don't worry about it (with interviews, be a little more careful, but still).

Edited by jacib

During one visit day, a POI took me out for a cup of coffee to chat. He asked if I had any questions or concerns, and I said, "Well I'm worried my math might not be up to par for the stats sequence." He paused for a moment and said "I thought you were doing all this social network stuff?" 

Luckily I was already accepted. Feel bad for the social network guy with a similar name as me who got rejected though...  :blink:

So, I have to do my interview by Skype because of a schedule conflict, and I'm more nervous about the Skype interview than I would be about a regular one!  It's 15 minutes with DGS and chair of the adcomm, then 15 minutes with a POI.  Has anyone done Skype interviews that could give me some tips?  First, I need to learn how to Skype... since I feel like a dinosaur with all of this newfangled technology, lol.  

But, other than that minor detail, any advice on what to expect or how to approach it?

I've interviewed for grants via skype.  I found it useful to dress my best, look my best, just because it made me feel comfortable and confident.  I spent like a while just setting up and cleaning up my room, etc.  I think Skype interviews are easier (professors interviewed via skype have said that to me, too) in part because you just get to talk with them in a really bounded way.  You know exactly when you're being evaluated, and because the conversation is so delineated, you know on what you could possibly be evaluated.

So, I have to do my interview by Skype because of a schedule conflict, and I'm more nervous about the Skype interview than I would be about a regular one!  It's 15 minutes with DGS and chair of the adcomm, then 15 minutes with a POI.  Has anyone done Skype interviews that could give me some tips?  First, I need to learn how to Skype... since I feel like a dinosaur with all of this newfangled technology, lol.  

But, other than that minor detail, any advice on what to expect or how to approach it?

If you are anything like me, i.e. rather self-aware especially when looking in the mirror, then I would suggest that you find a good and nice place to have the skype talk as well. I had a long skype talk with someone important using my laptop and noticed that after my five minutes that I had crouch down and edge close to screen to be visible (since my laptop cam was at the height of my chest when facing me in sitting position). It was uncomfortable, made me look really strange ("head in hands, crouched over the laptop and table and not at all too comfortable") and I had a hard time of feeling comfortable.

But apart from that - it's all good! be yourself and all those basic things.

So, here is a little bit more advice that I received from a faculty member about interviews.

1. The best way to get rejected is to be pretentious. This is the surest way to get rejected. Be graceful and respectful when you talk about the department. You should also answer interview questions in a way that shows you have some professionalization and the ability to collaborate with people in your cohort and the faculty in the department. This impresses them.

2. This particular school already has a short-list. You might be on it. You might not be on it. There's no way to tell unless you have someone from the inside to tell you if you're on it. These are the applicants receiving interviews that they're most interested in. So, essentially, these departments know who they're going to pick. If you're impressive on the short-list, you're in. If you're not on the short-list but are, nonetheless, impressive, then your chances of getting in increase. Does this make sense? If not, the rule of thumb is to just impress them.

3. This is the final and most important thing. These schools are going to show you a lot of interest at the interview. You should show them a comparable amount of interest in return. They're doing this because they want you to feel welcomed. When they accept you, you're more inclined to go because you'll feel like they want you. If you're rejected, on the other hand, I hope you enjoyed the free trip and warm conversations with faculty and graduate students.

What if I got an email that says I was on the "short-list?" Could the email just be referring to all the invitees as part of their "short-list" since it is in fact a small number of people that are actually invited.  This was a follow up email by a specific member of the faculty, but it still felt generic outside the reference of my application being geared towards a specific sub-field.  

I just don't know if this term "short-list" is thrown around commonly or if it meant something more like you suggested ^^^. The anticipation is unbearable I just wish I had an acceptance from somewhere else so that I know if I totally screw this visiting weekend up I will have a back up even though Notre Dame is my top choice.

I got the same email from Notre Dame - they just mean everyone invited to visit is on the "short list" for admissions.  That's how I took it.  As in, they have narrowed it down to the 20 or so they invite.

This may sound like a stupid question, but...

Should I take out my nose ring for an interview weekend?

Do professors care that much about outward appearance?

I have an interview weekend coming up with UT-Knoxville, and I'm prepared to wear something nice and business casual, brush my hair, etc. Maybe I'm going into overdrive with the anticipatory anxiety. What do you think?

I have an interview weekend coming up with UT-Knoxville, and I'm prepared to wear something nice and business casual, brush my hair, etc. Maybe I'm going into overdrive with the anticipatory anxiety. What do you think?

Be yourself. If you will wear it to work for the next 5 years then i'd be upfront about it.  I hope that they would not discriminate against such things. 

Brushing your hair feels rather overdoing it as well.  Go for the "Whitnail and I"-vibe.  (sorry - these days; people should ignore me!) 

Edited by ohgoodness

I was wondering the same thing. I have a few facial piercings and have been going back and forth on taking them out or leaving them in for the visit days. Some people have told me to take them out and others to leave them in. Any advice on multiple piercings? heh

I was wondering the same thing. I have a few facial piercings and have been going back and forth on taking them out or leaving them in for the visit days. Some people have told me to take them out and others to leave them in. Any advice on multiple piercings? heh

For places that you're already in (i.e. already admitted), don't worry about it!!! I have obvious facial piercings, and no one cared. Some sort of alt style is more easily accepted in our field. 

I wouldn't worry too much about a small stud at places where you're interviewing for admission. However, if you've got a ring in, I'd take it out. Impression is still important (esp. in more traditional departments).

For places that you're already in (i.e. already admitted), don't worry about it!!! I have obvious facial piercings, and no one cared. Some sort of alt style is more easily accepted in our field. 

I wouldn't worry too much about a small stud at places where you're interviewing for admission. However, if you've got a ring in, I'd take it out. Impression is still important (esp. in more traditional departments).

Alright thank you for the info! I may go and buy smaller jewelry for the visit days and just completely leave them out for the interview at Notre Dame. Going to have to be a bit more conservative there anyways. Don't want the programs thinking I'm too much of a hooligan. Thanks again for the info!

Alright thank you for the info! I may go and buy smaller jewelry for the visit days and just completely leave them out for the interview at Notre Dame. Going to have to be a bit more conservative there anyways. Don't want the programs thinking I'm too much of a hooligan. Thanks again for the info!

Don't worry too much about ND, though. I was there last year. Luckily I knew the dept. A minor stud wont matter.

Good goood gooooooood luck!

SoCal might be a special case... ;)

Anyone who went to the ND interview last year, what were some of the things the department asked you about??  Were there any particularly hard questions, or questions that caught you off guard?  How many people did they make offers to?

Edited by ColonelKurtz

With respect to ND, the faculty want to get a sense of who you are, how you'll fit into the program, and the things that interest and excite you. It sounds a bit daunting, but seriously be yourself. You don't have to have a straight up research agenda coming in, especially, especially from undergrad, bc your interests are going to change and grow through coursework and being exposed to different material. 

On Thursday night, you'll meet with grad students and a local bar. This is low key, but might be a good place for you to practice or get a sense of what will happen on Friday. The grad students are pretty tuned into the department and faculty members (as well as their quirks), and will ask questions similar to what you might experience on Friday. Why sociology? What about a particular subfield interests you? How did you decide to come to graduate school? There will be a lot of time to talk with grad students throughout the visit (at Brothers, throughout Friday informally or during sub-field sessions, Friday at the party), but be sure to ask questions! And, if you forget to ask something or think of it later, e-mail grad students or faculty. I found everyone to be helpful, particularly when it comes down to making a final decision (if you are admitted). 

You don't necessarily need to dress up, and I would say piercings and whatnot are okay. There are definitely, definitely conservative aspects about the university - too many to list here - but piercings have been fine (nose rings, studs, Monroes, labret, etc) in the department. Wear comfortable shoes you can walk around in. Events might take you from one side of the university to the other, and the campus is really big.  

After the visit, the faculty and grad students report on the recruits they spent a lot of time with - this goes back to the ad com before they make final decisions. I think a high proportion of people who attended the recruitment weekend were offered admission, figuring some would accept other offers. I think there were around 12 in this last cohort who enrolled last fall. 

With respect to ND, the faculty want to get a sense of who you are, how you'll fit into the program, and the things that interest and excite you. It sounds a bit daunting, but seriously be yourself. You don't have to have a straight up research agenda coming in, especially, especially from undergrad, bc your interests are going to change and grow through coursework and being exposed to different material. 

On Thursday night, you'll meet with grad students and a local bar. This is low key, but might be a good place for you to practice or get a sense of what will happen on Friday. The grad students are pretty tuned into the department and faculty members (as well as their quirks), and will ask questions similar to what you might experience on Friday. Why sociology? What about a particular subfield interests you? How did you decide to come to graduate school? There will be a lot of time to talk with grad students throughout the visit (at Brothers, throughout Friday informally or during sub-field sessions, Friday at the party), but be sure to ask questions! And, if you forget to ask something or think of it later, e-mail grad students or faculty. I found everyone to be helpful, particularly when it comes down to making a final decision (if you are admitted). 

You don't necessarily need to dress up, and I would say piercings and whatnot are okay. There are definitely, definitely conservative aspects about the university - too many to list here - but piercings have been fine (nose rings, studs, Monroes, labret, etc) in the department. Wear comfortable shoes you can walk around in. Events might take you from one side of the university to the other, and the campus is really big.  

After the visit, the faculty and grad students report on the recruits they spent a lot of time with - this goes back to the ad com before they make final decisions. I think a high proportion of people who attended the recruitment weekend were offered admission, figuring some would accept other offers. I think there were around 12 in this last cohort who enrolled last fall. 

Agreed! It's all pretty standard stuff.

Very good info to have, thank you :D It's exactly a week until I fly out to my first interview/visiting a campus thing and I am staring to feel the anxiety!

The piercing thing is just going to depend on the moment I land wherever I'm going I guess, still haven't made a decision on it since everyone around me is giving me conflicting advice -_-

But thanks to you all!

Very good info to have, thank you :D It's exactly a week until I fly out to my first interview/visiting a campus thing and I am staring to feel the anxiety!

The piercing thing is just going to depend on the moment I land wherever I'm going I guess, still haven't made a decision on it since everyone around me is giving me conflicting advice -_-

But thanks to you all!

Personally, I think you should be yourself, piercings and all! 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think you should be yourself, piercings and all! 

I ended up leaving them all in for my visit to Notre Dame! Thinking I may just do the same for the rest of my visits, didn't seem like it hurt my chances at ND. But we will see what happens haha