Chem Grad School interview

chemystery

What should a prospective student expect if he/she is interviewing prior to acceptance to a graduate program. 

Example: I am interviewing at UCSF for Chemical Biology this weekend. Thoughts on what I should prepare to talk about while I am there? 

Questions you should ask...

1) publications (how first authorship is determined)

2) teaching assignments (how many semesters)

3) average hours/week expected to be in the lab

4) how many years before you can graduate (sometimes this is group-dependent)

5) what happened to the former students in term of job placement(either PhDs or MSs)

Questions you should ask...

1) publications (how first authorship is determined)

2) teaching assignments (how many semesters)

3) average hours/week expected to be in the lab

4) how many years before you can graduate (sometimes this is group-dependent)

5) what happened to the former students in term of job placement(either PhDs or MSs)

Any thoughts on how best to phrase #3 (average hours/week you're expected to be in the lab) without sounding lazy?  I want to know what their expectations are of me putting in time at the lab, but don't want to come across as not dedicated to my research...

Any thoughts on how best to phrase #3 (average hours/week you're expected to be in the lab) without sounding lazy?  I want to know what their expectations are of me putting in time at the lab, but don't want to come across as not dedicated to my research...

When I had a phone interview with a school (post-acceptance) I said something along the lines of "What are the usual responsibilties in a typical work week for students, including time in a lab and outside of that?"

This is a sort of indirect way of asking, if they don't mention specific hours at that point you could ask about about the normal time commitment for those responsibilities previously described.

Edited by Faraday

You could also ask if the PIs have set hours they expect their students to be in the lab for contact purposes, that's an indirect way to discuss it.

Alternatively: "What expectations do you have of your students?" or "What are the typical hours students in your group work?". 

I believe I asked something along the lines of: "I know that graduate students have long/irregular hours, but is there a specific block of time where you would like all students to be available in the lab during your work day?"

I received varying answers which usually led to them telling me that they don't micromanage, and that productivity trumps time spent in the lab, and that if you are producing results then you are spending enough time in the lab. Some go into stories of how thye had a person who worked from 8pm to 4am, and they never saw them, which they did not like.

I thought it depends on your PI. But I personally don't think it's a good idea to ask them such question until you are accepted for admission, or even accepted the offer.

You have to interview to be accepted into Chemistry PhD programs?  Which schools do you have to do this for?  I was under the impression that you just applied and then got accepted or rejected.

Scripps Research Institute does, but that's the only one I know off the top of my head. People have told me the interview is more of a formality to make sure you're not crazy...

Scripps Research Institute does, but that's the only one I know off the top of my head. People have told me the interview is more of a formality to make sure you're not crazy...

Yes, I think you are correct. When I read through the previous years' threads, I do not recall anyone saying they were rejected post-interview at Scripps.