Practice GRE scores vs. real GRE scores

thmp945

I started studying for the GRE a couple weeks ago and plan to take the test mid-November.

I took an in-book practice exam out of the Kaplan Premier 2011-2012 to see where I was so far...

Overall: 58/80 = 73%

Verbal: 31/40 = 78%

14/20 in hard section, 17/20 in easy

Math: 27/40 = 68%

12/20 in hard section, 15/20 in easy

This was not a Kaplan online exam, so I never got analysis or an estimated GRE score...

So my questions are:

1) What does a 73% come out to on the actual GRE score? (new GRE)

2) I'm aiming for a min of 308 for my target school... are the Kaplan exams easier or harder than the real test?

Thank you!

ETS' Practice Test 1: V 150, Q 149.

Manhattan Practice Test 1: V 155, Q 147

Manhattan Practice Test 2: V 163, Q 155.

Manhattan Practice Test 3: V158, Q 157.

I will take one more practice test  before the actual test, but those are my scores so far.

ETS Practice Test 2: V 157, Q 146.

I want to believe, very badly, that Manhattan Practice Tests are accurate, because I've taken three practice tests in the past two weeks and scored exactly what I need (and even slightly better) for the Verbal portion.  I'm so scared that Manhattan is for some reason "easier" than the real thing, though.  Posts in this thread seem to say they are a good barometer, but...what if?  What if I'm just the anomaly who scores a lot worse on the real test?  Maddening...

Edited by antigone56

I want to believe, very badly, that Manhattan Practice Tests are accurate, because I've taken three practice tests in the past two weeks and scored exactly what I need (and even slightly better) for the Verbal portion.  I'm so scared that Manhattan is for some reason "easier" than the real thing, though.  Posts in this thread seem to say they are a good barometer, but...what if?  What if I'm just the anomaly who scores a lot worse on the real test?  Maddening...

I'm with you. My scores for Manhattan and even Kaplan are hovering around my target scores. Magoosh, however, predicting my scores to be a few points lower than what I need. Ugh.

Edited by obviousbicycle

Kaplan:

162 Verbal, 162 Quant

Princeton Review:

161 Verbal, 162 Quant

Real Test:

163 Verbal, 162 Quant

Zero studying...unless you count the practice tests I took and that I read NY Times, LA Times, etc. and make notes of vocab words I'm unfamiliar with. 

I am so sad right now :( :( 

I was consistently scoring 161 Verbal and 154 Quant on the princeton review tests (which I took untimed, btw).

Today I just sat for the GRE and i completely bombed the Verbal section with a 156 (70th percentile) ! And my quant was 152, which is 49th percentile !!

I am planning to apply to the Fletcher and Georgetown MSFS schools. I am so worried about these scores ! How can I better prepare myself next time? Are there any books which are better than Princeton Review?

For the record, I studied for about a month (2 hours everyday) for the GRE....thats almost 40-50 hours prep right there. 

ETS' Practice Test 1: V 150, Q 149.

Manhattan Practice Test 1: V 155, Q 147

Manhattan Practice Test 2: V 163, Q 155.

Manhattan Practice Test 3: V158, Q 157.

I will take one more practice test  before the actual test, but those are my scores so far.

ETS Practice Test 2: V 157, Q 146.

Actual Scores:

Verbal: 159

Quant: 153

AWA: Unknown.

Very happy with my scores. If I get at least a 4 for AWA I can finally move on with my life, and end this dreadful relationship with a test.

I am so sad right now :( :(

I was consistently scoring 161 Verbal and 154 Quant on the princeton review tests (which I took untimed, btw).

Today I just sat for the GRE and i completely bombed the Verbal section with a 156 (70th percentile) ! And my quant was 152, which is 49th percentile !!

I am planning to apply to the Fletcher and Georgetown MSFS schools. I am so worried about these scores ! How can I better prepare myself next time? Are there any books which are better than Princeton Review?

For the record, I studied for about a month (2 hours everyday) for the GRE....thats almost 40-50 hours prep right there. 

Those aren't bad scores. I think they're great, as you can see above I got similar scores and I'm ecstatic. Then again, I'm not applying to schools like Georgetown or Fletcher. But if you feel they are low then you can check out Magoosh whose questions are quite difficult and will provide  a challenge along with a thorough teaching of all the aspects of the test, and Manhattan's prep books which will do the same. I highly recommend both. Princeton Review is highly inadequate, and they're tests are easy. Their material was decent for the old test from a few years ago (my opinion), but not for the current test where the questions are more difficult and require a different type of thinking.

There's also the inclusion of 6 tests when purchasing a Manhattan book. A Manhattan book. You only need 1 book to gain access to the 6 tests, but the entire set is great as well, though I don't quite care for the Text Completion/Sentence Equivalence book. For that, Magoosh is better. Also check out Manhattan's 5 pound book of practice problems.

Also, see whether you need to change your study habits. I had been studying (come on at least a 4 for AWA so I can end the misery) since March. Yes, I know long time. You probably don't need that if those were your scores after a month. Just focus and work hard, that's all I can say.

Good luck.

Edited by Scarf in the wind

Actual Scores:

Verbal: 159

Quant: 153

AWA: Unknown.

Very happy with my scores. If I get at least a 4 for AWA I can finally move on with my life, and end this dreadful relationship with a test.

Those aren't bad scores. I think they're great, as you can see above I got similar scores and I'm ecstatic. Then again, I'm not applying to schools like Georgetown or Fletcher. But if you feel they are low then you can check out Magoosh whose questions are quite difficult and will provide  a challenge along with a thorough teaching of all the aspects of the test, and Manhattan's prep books which will do the same. I highly recommend both. Princeton Review is highly inadequate, and they're tests are easy. Their material was decent for the old test from a few years ago (my opinion), but not for the current test where the questions are more difficult and require a different type of thinking.

There's also the inclusion of 6 tests when purchasing a Manhattan book. A Manhattan book. You only need 1 book to gain access to the 6 tests, but the entire set is great as well, though I don't quite care for the Text Completion/Sentence Equivalence book. For that, Magoosh is better. Also check out Manhattan's 5 pound book of practice problems.

Also, see whether you need to change your study habits. I had been studying (come on at least a 4 for AWA so I can end the misery) since March. Yes, I know long time. You probably don't need that if those were your scores after a month. Just focus and work hard, that's all I can say.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for your tips ! Since your suggestion, I have got Manhattan's 5 lb book of practice problems, and started with that. I spaced my 2nd test about 3 weeks apart. Didn't want to drag it for the simple reason that there is absolutely no end to studying for these standardized tests.

Let's see what happens with the 2nd GRE ! 

Magoosh Test 1: 157V/158Q

Powerprep II test 1: 164V/166Q

Powerprep II test 2: 165V/164Q

Actual Test: 165V/165Q

These were all within 3 weeks of each other. Magoosh covers way more difficult material. I felt that the actual test was slightly harder than the powerprep tests. Aside from that, it definitely seemed like the poweprep tests were accurate for me.

Hi people,

I would like to ask you some suggestions on my GRE Test.

I'm using the so called "official GRE guide".

Are the tests in it similar to the real test or is the real test much more difficult?

I red in the book that in the quantitative reasoning some questions are easy, other medium and hard. How does those level of difficulties occur in the test? How many easy questions, how many medium questions and finally how many hard questions?
I ask you these question because my practice score are quite good (165 on my first attempt without having studied...I'm just concentrating on quantitative reasoning because my university requires good grades in that and in the analytical writing), but I'm really not a confident person and I fear that the real test will be much more difficult...

ETS Practice test #2:  165 - V/157 - Q

Kaplin:  164/162

Magoosh:  163/157

Test Day:  164/160.  Still waiting on the analytical writing.  I am a bit concerned, as 164 seems right below the cut off for elite PHD programs in the humanities.  I don't think, however, I can do much better, as the second half of the test was significantly harder, and my mind cannot process those convoluted RC questions.  The answer choices are generally lame and often based on inference.  I thought the ETS practices tests were easier than test day itself, at least in the verbal section, where I did better before test day.  Many of the TCs and SEs ontest day were completely borderline.  

In retrospect, I think the best practice is to alternate days between fundamentals and timed tests.  Then you need a bit of divine intervention on test day.  I would drill Manhattan 1800 practice questions for math.  For verbal, Kaplin, Barrons, and Magoosh pretty much look like the real test, so I would do all their online practice problems and record any vocabulary you don't know.  Manhattan practice tests are harder than ETS, so they are more of a challenge than anything else.  Magoosh math is also harder than test day, but the explanations are extremely helpful.  

Manhattan practice tests are harder than ETS, so they are more of a challenge than anything else.  Magoosh math is also harder than test day, but the explanations are extremely helpful.  

Do you mind to share your Manhattan practice test scores? My Manhattan scores are exactly the scores that I want, so if you don't mind sharing that'd be great.

Edited by obviousbicycle

Practice tests in chronological order:

Kaplan: 149V, 155Q (before I started studying)

Princeton: 159V, 163Q

Manhattan Free Practice Test: 163V, 166Q

Powerprep 1: 165V, 161Q

Manhattan 6 practice tests package: average 164V, 166Q

Powerprep 2: 166V, 162Q

Actual test (unofficial score from 2 days ago): 170V, 164Q

My study consisted of mainly doing practice tests over and over again while studying vocab. Manhattan seems to insist that my quant is better than verbal, while ETS disagrees. From what I see from other people's posts, the actual test score is also a bit higher than the practice score.

Seems like a lot of people do a bit better on the real test than the practice tests.  I want to believe it will happen to me too, as I'm scoring on practice tests just a little under what I need.  Yet, a year ago when I took the GRE, I scored 4 points below my highest practice test; didn't do "better" like some people in this thread are reporting.  I'm not sure what will happen on test day this year.  At this point, I'm continuing to study vocab, trying various little strategies for RC, and honestly, just praying.  

I don't think one's score is a complete crapshoot.  But within a certain range for each person, I think it is.  For me, I think I could score anywhere between 153 and 163 on Verbal.  

What's ironic, too, for me, is that my highest practice test scores occurred when I employed no particular "strategy" to get RC questions correct.  As soon as I started trying little strategies, like jotting keywords fast as I read, I began to score a bit lower.  Even when in later practice tests I felt I had a better sense of passages than in previous practice tests, my ultimate score would end up lower.  Makes no sense and is totally frustrating.

Edited by antigone56

Seems like a lot of people do a bit better on the real test than the practice tests.  I want to believe it will happen to me too, as I'm scoring on practice tests just a little under what I need.  Yet, a year ago when I took the GRE, I scored 4 points below my highest practice test; didn't do "better" like some people in this thread are reporting.  I'm not sure what will happen on test day this year.  At this point, I'm continuing to study vocab, trying various little strategies for RC, and honestly, just praying.  

I don't think one's score is a complete crapshoot.  But within a certain range for each person, I think it is.  For me, I think I could score anywhere between 153 and 163 on Verbal.  

What's ironic, too, for me, is that my highest practice test scores occurred when I employed no particular "strategy" to get RC questions correct.  As soon as I started trying little strategies, like jotting keywords fast as I read, I began to score a bit lower.  Even when in later practice tests I felt I had a better sense of passages than in previous practice tests, my ultimate score would end up lower.  Makes no sense and is totally frustrating.

My practice scores are all over the place - ranging from 153-163 for quant and 148-158 for verbal, so I really have no idea where I stand right now.

And my test is on Saturday. Yay. <_<

First off, best of luck to both of you on test day! I hope you get the scores you need and want! :)

@antigone56: I can relate to what you've said about not employing any particular strategy for RC questions. My test prep wasn't too organised or well-planned, so the Verbal section on test day was a bit of a wild ride, in a manner of speaking :P. But thankfully it turned out fine for me. I'm sure you'll do well, too.

@obviousbicycle: My practice scores were also all over the place. Its never easy to assess where u stand while going through practice tests/questions. But don't fret, just step up your game on Saturday! ;)

Do you mind to share your Manhattan practice test scores? My Manhattan scores are exactly the scores that I want, so if you don't mind sharing that'd be great.

Sorry for the delayed response.  Test 1: 163/157/ Test 2: 162/160.  Since the questions were so hard, I stopped taking those tests at a certain point, since they often do not reflect true GRE questions.  The real GRE rarely uses low frequency vocab words like paronomasia or tergiversate, which Manhattan is obsessed with.  

Most admissions counselors have told me that if I am in the 93rd verbal percentile to only take the test over if my AWA scores are below 90th percentile.  Of course, these are not Princeton and Duke talking, but U Penn and Hebrew Union did say this. I'm not sure whether to believe them or not.   People applying for PHDs should be aware that the most elite schools - Harvard, Yale, etc - average 90th percentile scores in verbal and math for those admitted to many humanities programs and social sciences, barring Sociology for some reason.  

If anyone has any effective strategies for RCs, I would like to hear them, as my brain shuts off by the time I'm trying to decipher the two best possible answers.  I dread having to test those again.  

Edited by awells27

Took the practice powerprep tests I & II 2 to 3 days before actual GRE (25 Sep 2013).

Practice I: Verbal - 168, Quant - 167

Practice 2: Verbal - 166, Quant - 169

Actual GRE: Verbal - 162, Quant - 170

Felt that the verbal on actual GRE was abit harder, and the need to do 3 sections of verbal during the actual GRE didn't help. I would say that a couple of correct intelligent guesses during the practice test for the verbal section helped to push up the scores by abit.  

A digression for comparison - my GMAT scores were Verbal - 40, Quant - 50, overall 740, taken May 2012. I would say the results of both tests were pretty close.

Manhattan:

Q 166  /  V 169

Kaplan:

(1) Q 168  / V 162

(2) Q 162  / V 166

(3) Q 164  /  V 167

(4) Q 167  /  V 167

(5) Q 170  /  V 167

PowerPrep:

(1) Q 167  /  V 165

(2) Q 166  /  V 164

(3) Q 168  /  V 165

(4) Q 168  /  V 165

Actual GRE:

Q 168  /  V 169

Summary / thoughts: The Kaplan practice tests were significantly harder (heuristically) than the actual GRE. The Manhattan practice exam reflected the real test pretty accurately, as did the PowerPrep II tests. I found verbal on the actual GRE a bit easier than the practice in all my practice exams, while quant was about the same.

Summary / thoughts: The Kaplan practice tests were significantly harder (heuristically) than the actual GRE. The Manhattan practice exam reflected the real test pretty accurately, as did the PowerPrep II tests. I found verbal on the actual GRE a bit easier than the practice in all my practice exams, while quant was about the same.

Wow, I thought the Kaplan practice tests were easier, as I consistently got higher in their verbal, barring my first test,  than on the actual GRE.   I guess everyone responds differently.  

Edited by awells27