Practice GRE scores vs. real GRE scores

thmp945

161V/ 148Q  with the free Manhattan test.  I broke 300 which is all I wanted.   Anyone else having problems getting Power Prep to work on an older mac?

No but I am having problems getting newer software generally to work on an older Mac.... including the OS itself..

Just took the GRE today, felt good to get it off my back. My quantitative score ended up being higher than my verbal score (which really surprised me, as a former English major who hadn't taken a math class in four years until this semester, I was playing catch-up on math). Did do a four month version of the Magoosh six-month study plan, really helped me a lot.

The most recent practice tests I can remember, might be most useful for people to compare:

ETS Book Test 1:     V 169    Q 166

ETS Book Test 2:     V 169    Q 169

Manhattan Test 1:   V 162    Q 164

Manhattan Test 2:   V 162    Q 163

Manhattan Test 3:   V 162    Q 163

ETS Powerprep 1:    V 170    Q 167

ETS Powerprep 2:    V 166    Q 163

ACTUAL SCORES:   V 165    Q 169

Obviously very happy with the Q score, more important for my field. I noticed that the math problems on the real GRE were slightly more difficult than the ETS practice tests, slightly less difficult than the Manhattan and Magoosh problems I did (at least the hard and very hard - there were some at that level, but not many).

As far as the verbal, the Manhattan practice tests quiz vocabulary that is way more difficult than the actual test. There were a few questions Manhattan would give me where I didn't even recognize, much less know the definition of, a single word. On the actual GRE, there might have been a couple questions where I didn't know one or two of the words. Magoosh and ETS seemed pretty spot on here. GRE actually seemed more focused on some colloquialisms and common speech when it came to vocab words.

Obviously very happy with the Q score, more important for my field. I noticed that the math problems on the real GRE were slightly more difficult than the ETS practice tests, slightly less difficult than the Manhattan and Magoosh problems I did (at least the hard and very hard - there were some at that level, but not many).

Pretty much vibes with my experience. The PowerPrep tests don't appear to be adaptive (or are not as adaptive) as the real thing, so the quant will be harder on the test day if you get a "hard section"; not a impossibly harder, but noticeably so. Still easier than Magoosh and especially Manhattan (although I think Manhattan is in part due to poor question design, particularly their data interpretation questions).

Took the GRE on the last day of August.

I did the two ETS Powerprep II tests; I can't remember exactly what scores it gave me, but I want to say 163V/160Q on the first test and then 160V/156Q or something on the second one. I didn't do the writing sections on either practice test but I highly doubt they give you a score estimate, how would that even work?

Anyway, real test: 161V/162Q/4.5

So the ETS practice tests really underestimated my quant score! I think part of the problem was the second time I took the practice test I was really tired and was also sitting in a loud coffee shop...

I'd like to ask anyone who used Magoosh: was their score predictor accurate for you?

For my first test, I didn't use Magoosh to prep and I scored 157 V 149 Q. Within a few days following that test, I began doing 3-6 hour study days, every day, using Magoosh. Two weeks and 350 practice problems later, my score predictor is stuck at 151-156 V and 149-154 Q. Not sure how to interpret this, but it sure is discouraging.

Edited by VulpesZerda

I'd like to ask anyone who used Magoosh: was their score predictor accurate for you?

For my first test, I didn't use Magoosh to prep and I scored 157 V 149 Q. Within a few days following that test, I began doing 3-6 hour study days, every day, using Magoosh. Two weeks and 350 practice problems later, my score predictor is stuck at 151-156 V and 149-154 Q. Not sure how to interpret this, but it sure is discouraging.

Eh, don't take it to heart too much; For me it drastically underestimated my verbal (predicted 153-158, real score 160) for math it was a couple points lower than real score. Take it as a rough guide than an accurate predictor; after all, it doesn't take into consideration your improvement, only the average of all the problems you've attempted. 

Keep in mind that the early questions you missed are factored into that so it was really off for me. My ranges were something like 152-157V and 157-162Q. My actual scores were 162V 168Q. Use the questions for practice only, not score prediction. ETS predicted my scores perfectly.

ETS predicted my scores perfectly.

I agree that ETS was a good predictor; that being said, one of the PowerPrep tests I took a week before the exam was gave me a Q score that was 5 (!) points below what my real test was. Needless to say, anything can happen so try to not cling to any practice test too much. 

In case my scores can help ease anyone's worries...:

My real scores: V158, Q152, AW not released yet, but it should be okay.

My practice scores with Manhatten were between 156 to 160 for V, and consistent 148's for Q... I was really happy when I got 152 on the real thing, even if it's not that great haha. I also used powerprep and got 154 for V and 151 for Q both times. Good luck to people who are taking their GREs soon >_< !

PowerPrep I: 169 V/154 Q

Manhattan I: 168 V/152 Q

ETS Paper I: 170 V/158 Q (untimed)

ETS Paper II: 170 V/162 Q (untimed)

PowerPrep II: 170 V/155 Q

Manhattan II: 166 V/152 Q

Actual Scores: 170 V/156 Q 

I think the Manhattan Prep materials are useful, but the practice tests are harder, and not always well-written.

PowerPrep I:  161V / 150Q

PowerPrep II: 167V / 152Q

Actual score: 162V / 154Q

I literally just walked in the door from taking the test and I'm SO relieved it's over. I'm happy enough with my score and shouldn't need a retake.

The practice went for me like this:

Test Scores          Days to Exam

ETS Power Prep 1:            Q:166 V:150=316         14

Manhattan Test 1:             Q:159 V:157=317         12    

Magoosh Test 1:               Q 162 V:153=315         10      

Manhattan Test 2:             Q:166 V:155=321           8      

Magoosh Test 2:               Q: 163 V:151=314          6  

Manhattan Test 3:           Q: 164 V: 156=320        5      

Princeton Free Test:         Q: 165 V:150=315          3      

ETS Power Prep 2:           Q: 167 V: 155=322         2

Magoosh Score Predictor Q:159-164 V:155-160= 319  

Real GRE:                        Q:164, V:156=320

I'm about just satisfied with my score, would give it again in three months.

I barely got twenty days to study averaging around five hours per day; 100 hours of intense study hours. 

My approach of giving so many exams is wrong. Give one every week. I barely had any time to study, so I tried to go into test mode by giving as many exams.

Manhattan and ETS Powerprep are most accurate when it comes to predicting your score. For improving your concepts, Magoosh was better. It's cheap and effective to study.

It's better if one takes tests with an experimental section as the real exam has one. The going gets tough after you have to answer another verbal after two.

I screwed up in Quant on the real GRE. Someone told me that they're purposefully giving tougher Quant sections for a more equal percentile distribution. Does anyone have an idea about this?

Edited by mihir94

(GRE took last year - V: 149 & Q: 165)

Kaplan Practice Test - V: 155 & Q: 152 (took about a month ago)

Power Prep II - V: 157 & Q: 162 (took a day before the exam)

Actual GRE - V: 150 & Q: 168

Hours Studied - 15 hours

Most time I prepared for Q section, because need a good score on it. + Not native speaker.
Took first time GRE in february 2014 - V144Q152 =( sad result
Manhattan test 1Q 150
Manhattan test 2 Q 152
Manhattan test 3 Q 154
Magoosh predictor - 154-158
ETS first test Q 155
Second GRE in may 2014 - V141 Q159! failed in verbal completely because got three verbal sections.
Manhattan test 4 Q158
Manhattan test 5 Q 157
ETS second Q158
Magoosh predictor 156-160 - started to solve problems for second time and re-watch some videos for second and even thirds time.
Manhattan test 6 Q 160
Third GRE test in november 2014 - V143Q161
This test is required a lot of studying of short-cuts and developing math intuition. Basic rules for preparation are: 1) be honest with yourself! Don't put anything in answer on practice tests if you don't know how to solve this problem, 2) re-read all explanation not only for problems that you did wrong but also for problems that you did right! Because you might solve it wrongly and still get a right answer. You also can get some useful short-cuts how to solve quickly problems in explanation.

Edited by Robo_Lizard

161V/ 148Q  with the free Manhattan test.  I broke 300 which is all I wanted.   Anyone else having problems getting Power Prep to work on an older mac?

Works fine on my 2007 MacBook. 

The range for Magoosh is 6 points, which is fairly wide if you think about it. In terms of percentiles, for quant, that is like ranging from the 40th percentile to the 60th.  Or from the 60th to the 78th.  Or from the 78th to the 90th.  Pretty dramatic, really.

It seems that most claim (on here and other sites, including Magoosh) their actual scores either fall within the range or above it.  

For my second time around, I took only two practice tests, both with Magoosh. 

Oct 31 - V154 Q154

Nov 9 - V154 Q158

Score predictor - V153-158 Q151-156

Actual test, second attempt - V158 Q153

First attempt, Oct 11 - V157 Q149

I had my own topic about taking the GRE back in February 2014, but I thought I'd share in this topic as well. I did the majority of my studying during August-October 2013.

Manhattan Prep exams:
Q: 154 V: 158 (taken 8/21/2013)
Q: 157 V: 160 (9/21/2013)
Q: 156 V: 157 (9/29/2013)
Q: 155 V: 156 (11/11/2013)
Magoosh Prep: 
Q estimated: 154-159
V estimated: 155-160

Actual results: Q: 158 V: 158 AW: 4.5

I was satisfied with my scores, mostly because I fell off my study plan for a good 3 months and spent the week leading up to the exam with practice tests. I think I took the PowerPrep tests but I didn't jot down my results. Yet I still feel the need to retake the damn exam to break 160 in each section. I have a year to decide, but at this rate the test might cost $250 by then!

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add mine into the mix as well:

GRE Powerprep #1:     162V, 155Q
GRE Paper #1:             162V, 157Q
Manhattan Diagnostic: 156V, 160Q
Manhattan prep test:    147V, 157Q
GRE Paper #2:             160V, 157Q 
Actual GRE results:      167V, 160Q, 4.5 AW

Study period was over about 3 months, about 6-8hrs/week of two 3-4hr blocks per week (with maybe 5-10 extra hours of during the week leading up to the test). The 5 practice tests I took were more or less evenly spaced over those 3 months, with one a week before the actual

From my experience (and based on my score), the manhattan diagnostic and ETS practice tests seemed more or less accurate for quantitative, but verbal seemed wildly different during the actual test (practice tests seemed much more dependent on vocabulary, while the actual test felt more like an emphasis on reading comp than anything else).

As other posters have noted, Manhattan testing and materials are almost completely focused on vocabulary building, which is no longer helpful as the new GRE format focuses on reading comprehension and less on those ridiculously obscure and arcane analogies.

Got back from the test centre today and I'm totally gutted. I'm a retaker(Q159 August 2013) who overprepared for today's test, yet I fell miserably short of my expectations. Cancelled mid-way through the test because I felt there was no point continuing and ending up with what would be a subpar score. Power prep does not accurately reflect the difficulty level of the exam...

Below are my power prep scores that were simulated as close as possible to exam settings(All timed):

===================================

PP 2 Q 163 V 158 --- 12/12/2014 (Q35/40)

PP 1 Q 164 V 161 --- 12/15/2014 (Q36/40) Could have got a 169/170 in this test but made a few careless errors in the first Math section.

3 mixed practice set in the recent ETS Quant book( Untimed) --- 92% 69/75

Magoosh score predictor -- 159-164 ( 572 quant Qs answered)

Completed about half of 5lb GRE quant and had a fairly good hit rate there as well.

====================================

So after working my butt off for the past 3 weeks and really hoping for a 5 to 6 point improvement on my quant score from last year I was in for a rude shock at the test centre today. I saw some really convoluted geometry questions I'd never seen any where else. On the GRE last year I finished the first two quant sections with ten minutes to spare/review my mistakes. The third section was what killed me. On today's test in the first section I was already running out of time by the 16th question. I had to guess on three to four questions. Something that's never happened on any of my mock sessions this year or last year when I prepared. I chalked up my experience in the first quant section to it just being the experimental section. In the second quant section a similar thing happened, after ten mid level difficulty problems I was stumped by 2-3 geometry problems that were just subtler and trickier than anything I'd ever seen. For a 160 scorer i felt these sort of questions were supposed to be reserved for the last section if you've done really well in the first section. By the time I got to the DI section which was usually my forte in all my tests and saw a DI combined with overlapping sets and percentages that's when I knew I had just about had enough of ETS' b**sing. Why give us a deceptively easy mock test that does not accurately mimic the difficulty of the real exam? I have no issues with a challenging exam but please release mocks/ resources that accurately reflect the dificulty of what test takers would see test day. I came back home and looked at some of the problems on the power prep tests I took recently and noticed how those on the first and second quant portion of my exam had extra/subtle layers of difficulty. Verbal felt normal to the powerprep's difficulty in comparison, and I feel if I'm going to write the test again that's the only place I may accrue point gains as ETS is just screwing us over with quant right now. But it's really futile cos I'm applying to engineering programs and no one cares a jot about your verbal score.

I've also wondered what if i finished and still ended up with a 163 or 164. It may be that the GRE algorithm is now quite different from the algorithm on the Power Prep software and getting a 29-32/40 could still land you in a 164/165? I may resit for the test in January but I can't think of any resource that can prepare me adequately for the kind of problems I saw today. I've used virtually everything.

Edited by Subseaguy

The GRE is section adaptive, unlike the GMAT which adapts to each question you answer rightly or wrongly. On the GRE you get a harder section when u've done well on the previous section. The jump in difficulty on my first two sections from my test last year and my power prep scores was what unsettled me. Considering how much better prepared I was this time around than last year, I'm suspecting the test algorithm compensates u more for answering difficult questions and u probably do not have to answer all 40 questions right to get a 170.