MSW programs in the Bay Area

Twoone

Has anyone here applied for the MSW program here in the Bay Area? I've applied to SJSU and CSUEB and was wondering if anyone applied to the same or elsewhere. Going to be a long waiting period before I hear from them.

Called SJSU and and they wont review applications until mid feb and will start sending out letters mid march til end of april. To those who do get in will get a phone call first from Barry goldman, the director of admission. 

As for csueb, since apps end in march, we wont find out til may/june  ...

Hi. I live in SF and I applied to SJSU, CSU Chico, and Sacramento State. I plan on still applying to CSU East Bay (the 3 year program in Oakland), which I haven't started yet. I am a little worried about CSU East Bay because I read they take applicants on a rolling basis and I am applying late, even though the deadline is in March. Do you live in the bay area or are you relocating? Good luck!

phew, glad someone called because I was about to this week.  I haven't received anything to even say they've received my Section II application (SJSU) but if they're not even beginning a review until the middle of Feb I feel like I can calm down just a little.... just a little.  :lol:

I will be ecstatic when I get the first email or anything that finally changed from "Referred to Grad Dept". lol  I guess unless it's bad news... but any news would be better than my run-around of checking MySJSU, then University Admissions of Sweden, then Yahoo! mail, then Gmail, then GradCafe haha -- it's vicious having to wait.

Please post if anyone applying to SJSU hears anything! :)  I think I'm getting less anxious but the weekends are hard because I don't have work like I do during the week to be busy with.  Sigh

Would she know if we got in or not? Lol

For SJSU the person to get in touch with to check your application is Molly Marquez. Phone number and email found on their website :) She responds very quickly to emails as well.

I wish!! haha!! although I don't know if it's a good sign or not to hear early but while browsing forums I came across someone who got in LAST year and he was notified as of March 6th.  Albeit he did turn his app in Jan. 6th but I'm wondering if we may only have just a couple more weeks left to wait! maybe....

Yeah early admissions were for those who had experience first with good recs from what Barry said. They all get to go in first but im just hoping that they chose the part time route since they need to work for income. Hoping I'll get that early admission. From his info meeting, anyone with 4k hrs of experience are more favored to get in first before they go with anyone else. Submitted my app with only 2500 hrs of exp so I guess it's better than nothing.

I wish!! haha!! although I don't know if it's a good sign or not to hear early but while browsing forums I came across someone who got in LAST year and he was notified as of March 6th. Albeit he did turn his app in Jan. 6th but I'm wondering if we may only have just a couple more weeks left to wait! maybe....

Well... I only put in 3640 (though that's my current position and since then I've turned it in I've already worked another 120 hrs so hopefully they recognize that I'm still employed as a case manager even while waiting). ~sigh~  I did also put down another paid experience that wasn't direct social services experience but I tied it in my personal statement about why it was relevant to my experience and framed it in the context of it pushing me towards getting into social services to begin with so in total that would come to ~6100.  I mean, the hard part is that experience is completely up to the committee to review it as relevant or not so eh, me and you are in the same boat, Twoone.

Where did you get your undergrad degree from/in? And are you applying for either of the stipend programs?

Yeah early admissions were for those who had experience first with good recs from what Barry said. They all get to go in first but im just hoping that they chose the part time route since they need to work for income. Hoping I'll get that early admission. From his info meeting, anyone with 4k hrs of experience are more favored to get in first before they go with anyone else. Submitted my app with only 2500 hrs of exp so I guess it's better than nothing.

I went to CSUEB for my undergrad in psych. I still have time to apply for them and submit everything but don't think I will. Did not like that school at all. Where did you go?

Well... I only put in 3640 (though that's my current position and since then I've turned it in I've already worked another 120 hrs so hopefully they recognize that I'm still employed as a case manager even while waiting). ~sigh~ I did also put down another paid experience that wasn't direct social services experience but I tied it in my personal statement about why it was relevant to my experience and framed it in the context of it pushing me towards getting into social services to begin with so in total that would come to ~6100. I mean, the hard part is that experience is completely up to the committee to review it as relevant or not so eh, me and you are in the same boat, Twoone.

Where did you get your undergrad degree from/in? And are you applying for either of the stipend programs?

Hi Twoone,

Could you describe your experience at CSUEB? I've pretty much decided not to apply but I'm still a little unsure... I moved to the Bay Area recently and definitely want to stay here, so I'm trying to keep my options open but I just haven't heard anything great about it. I'd love to hear what you didn't like because I think that would convince me not to bother applying!

Oh! I had a friend that went to CSUEB and pretty sure she studied psych, too.  I'm from San Jose but I moved to Salt Lake City, UT when I was 18 to get out of my parents' house so I graduated from the U of Utah last May in both Anthropology and Sociology.

I went to CSUEB for my undergrad in psych. I still have time to apply for them and submit everything but don't think I will. Did not like that school at all. Where did you go?

I graduated in 2011 and when I attended that university, the school just didn't have anything that would make you want to stay on campus to really do. Not much of a place to want to eat, do any activities, and they have a crap load of stairs ( I'm not referring to buildings but concrete stairs outside to pretty much get to every building, not saying im fat and lazy cause im not but damn wayyyyy too much cardio on an empty stomach lol) and it floods insanely bad during the rainy seasons and makes those stairs seem like they belong in a large pond for the amount of water gushing down. Since this school allows smoking on campus, there is constant smoke everywhere you go and it doesn't matter where they put those ashtrays containers because a lot of these students walk around chain smoking. I had some hit and run in the parking lot as well cause idiots just don't know how to park. Professor wise: they are pretty cool and knowledgable. I haven't really had one that I really disliked only a few I thought were extremely boring and non engaging. Also to get to that school there are only 2 ways and a lot of the times, especially around 2-5pm, getting home would take veryyyyy long because of all the traffic. I'm sure each school has their flaws but east bay had way too much

Hi Twoone,

Could you describe your experience at CSUEB? I've pretty much decided not to apply but I'm still a little unsure... I moved to the Bay Area recently and definitely want to stay here, so I'm trying to keep my options open but I just haven't heard anything great about it. I'd love to hear what you didn't like because I think that would convince me not to bother applying!

Assuming you graduated in 4 years, how did you accumulate so many hours as a case manager since you graduated last may? This is to also assume that you worked full time 40hrs a week because that would only give you 960 hrs a year. Find it weird because it would take someone working full time for 4 years straight to accumulate 3800hrs and you surpassed that in one year.

Oh! I had a friend that went to CSUEB and pretty sure she studied psych, too. I'm from San Jose but I moved to Salt Lake City, UT when I was 18 to get out of my parents' house so I graduated from the U of Utah last May in both Anthropology and Sociology.

I didn't graduate in 4 years. I went to DeAnza CC for 1 year before moving to SLC in 2008. I accumulated that many hours because I've been a case manager for almost 2 years (since April 2011), always working full-time.

At the time I submitted my application I had worked for ~91 weeks (rounded down) at 40 hrs/week = 3640 hrs.

I've worked full-time all through undergrad and sometimes at multiple jobs (how else was I going to pay to live and go to school at the same time?). I wish I could have just not worked until I finished school but that wasn't in the cards for me.

And 1 year of full-time work = 2080 hrs (40hrs x 52 wks/year). Most people just refer to a work year as "2000 hrs" because they account for holidays and such one might have off. In my workplace, I do not have holidays off.

So, you can actually accumulate 3800 hrs in about 1 yr and 9ish months, or 95 weeks.

Edited by StenderB

Oops forgot to add the 1 lol

I didn't graduate in 4 years. I went to DeAnza CC for 1 year before moving to SLC in 2008. I accumulated that many hours because I've been a case manager for almost 2 years (since April 2011), always working full-time.

At the time I submitted my application I had worked for ~91 weeks (rounded down) at 40 hrs/week = 3640 hrs.

I've worked full-time all through undergrad and sometimes at multiple jobs (how else was I going to pay to live and go to school at the same time?). I wish I could have just not worked until I finished school but that wasn't in the cards for me.

And 1 year of full-time work = 2080 hrs (40hrs x 52 wks/year). Most people just refer to a work year as "2000 hrs" because they account for holidays and such one might have off. In my workplace, I do not have holidays off.

So, you can actually accumulate 3800 hrs in about 1 yr and 9ish months, or 95 weeks.

Oh that sucks. Well hopefully your luck changes this year. Did you have any work experience before applying the first time?

I applied to SJSU last year and was notified in May by e-mail and snail mail. :( it kinda sucked to be denied twice from the same school.