MSW programs in the Bay Area

Twoone

I called Molly just to verify. She doesn't know why and said to call the financial aid office.

Yes, I received the message yesterday and my to-do list items were up on Monday for me to complete for financial aid so I did that and sent what items they need off on Monday. I hope that's a good sign, but I'm feeling like perhaps financial aid doesn't have anything to do with admission and isn't any indicator; that perhaps it was just financial aid doing their end and getting in paperwork to be considered for max funding if accepted.

Anyone else know if it actually means much of anything?

I called Molly just to verify. She doesn't know why and said to call the financial aid office.

That makes more sense to me.  I felt like Financial Aid is another department on their own timeline and schedule apart from any decision-making by the MSW program.  I figured they were just getting their paperwork in order in case a person is eventually accepted so they know what to offer, if anything.

This wait is killing me.  I saw on Tumblr that quite a few people already have acceptances from SJSU's library sciences program and I just wish the MSW program was that quick, too! lol

Edited by StenderB

So nothing yet huh guys? ... Well it's the beginning of mid march so we'll hear something within the next 2 weeks. I guess they accepted the very top applicants beginning of march. Knew a guy that got accepted beginning of march with 4 yrs of social work exp. Good Luck guys hopefully we'll hear soon!

So nothing yet huh guys? ... Well it's the beginning of mid march so we'll hear something within the next 2 weeks. I guess they accepted the very top applicants beginning of march. Knew a guy that got accepted beginning of march with 4 yrs of social work exp. Good Luck guys hopefully we'll hear soon!

I hope so! Last year I received my letter in May.....

SJSU APPLICANTS:

So, just an FYI they are giving priority to people who applied early via CSUMENTOR (which makes sense :-) ) So, If you applied early  on CSUMENTOR you'll probably hear back this month....if not, then the wait is on until April :-(...You can also call Molly and she'll let you know the status of your App. ...I applied in January via CSUmentor, so I won't be hearing back until much, much later :-(.

Good Luck everyone!!

I hope so... I applied in October..

SJSU APPLICANTS:

So, just an FYI they are giving priority to people who applied early via CSUMENTOR (which makes sense :-) ) So, If you applied early on CSUMENTOR you'll probably hear back this month....if not, then the wait is on until April :-(...You can also call Molly and she'll let you know the status of your App. ...I applied in January via CSUmentor, so I won't be hearing back until much, much later :-(.

Good Luck everyone!!

Edited by Twoone

@lalaloopsy, is that what Molly from the SW dept told you that early applicants on csumentor has priority?

SJSU APPLICANTS:

So, just an FYI they are giving priority to people who applied early via CSUMENTOR (which makes sense :-) ) So, If you applied early on CSUMENTOR you'll probably hear back this month....if not, then the wait is on until April :-(...You can also call Molly and she'll let you know the status of your App. ...I applied in January via CSUmentor, so I won't be hearing back until much, much later :-(.

Good Luck everyone!!

SJSU APPLICANTS:

So, just an FYI they are giving priority to people who applied early via CSUMENTOR (which makes sense :-) ) So, If you applied early  on CSUMENTOR you'll probably hear back this month....if not, then the wait is on until April :-(...You can also call Molly and she'll let you know the status of your App. ...I applied in January via CSUmentor, so I won't be hearing back until much, much later :-(.

Good Luck everyone!!

Thank you!!! I applied to CSU Mentor in October.

I got the phone call and email today from SJSU! I submitted my CSUMentor app mid-December, and got my SWK application a week before it was due. Happy Friday everyone!!

Congrats!! May i ask how much exp you have?

I got the phone call and email today from SJSU! I submitted my CSUMentor app mid-December, and got my SWK application a week before it was due. Happy Friday everyone!!

Thank you!

I've worked in K-8 after school programs for 6 years, and 2 of those years were full time AmeriCorps positions for tutoring/after school. I am currently working with the same program, just not an AmeriCorps member.  I also interned and worked for a new teen services department that was opening a new teen center. I was able to to work for/with Planned Parenthood for a semester as well in the tween/teen context! Lastly, at my college, I helped create and run the first LGBT Leadership Conference for our region, to help inspire others to improve the climate at their universities. I have a bachelors in Anthropology and LGBT Studies... my academic and professional careers overlap with Social Work, but I'm so glad that not having a undergrad degree in Social Work was okay!!

Congrats!! May i ask how much exp you have?

I, too received an email and a phone call from Professor Barry earlier today welcoming me into the MSW Program. I am very excited to attend SJSU in the Fall. Happy Friday to all of you.

Congrats to everyone who got into SJSU yesterday! Sounds like a lot of you are planning to attend. I'd love to hear some of your reasons for choosing SJSU!

I, too received an email and a phone call from Professor Barry earlier today welcoming me into the MSW Program.I am very excited to attend SJSU in the Fall. Happy Friday to all of you.

Congrats!!! I'm feeling more and more like my 2 yrs of exp won't be enough this cycle :(

@lalaloopsy, is that what Molly from the SW dept told you that early applicants on csumentor has priority?

Well she didn't say they have "priority" exactly, but that they view the applications in the order that they were received via csu mentor (e.g. October-January), which is understandable. I must admit, I wish they reviewed all candidates who submitted materials by the deadline at the same time I mean isn't that what deadlines are for??? lol. But w/e works best for them.....

it seems to me that if you applied later on in the game, you will only have a chance at getting in if all the early applicants reject their admission.

She also said they will admit through April.  So, don't worry too much if you submitted your csumentor app early and still haven't heard back....we have a few more weeks to go.

Hi, 

Has anyone applied for the two year MSW program at SJSU for Fall 2013? Has anyone gotten word if they have been accepted? 

I applied... haven't heard anything yet. I also applied for the Title IV-E stipend and they will be notifiying people after Apr. 1

A few people received e-mails & phone calls from SJSU in regards to just the MSW Program - it seems like they call mostly on Fridays.

i hope that we hear word soon. I constantly check MySJSU and my status is "referred to grad program." I emailed Professor Barry last week but he has not responded. 

Same here! Something I learned from last year is to not check MySJSU so often... it drove me craaaaaaaazy. They don't update it until after they mail you the letter & e-mail you anyways. Hang in there!!!

Hello everyone, I've been using gradcafe for over a year now but just mainly browsing. Never had to post or ask anything since many of the people before and you guys asked and answer them. Well last year when I applied I had over two years of social work experience working for the state, a year of volunteer service, and a few months of having a teaching job for kids with behavioral problems and I didnt get in. My personal statement and essay was great and strong, LOR was very good from people who had PHD and masters in social work as well, my gpa was at 3.4 which I think is great for the field we all are going in. When it was getting towards the end of march last year and I still haven't received any notice, I sent Dr. Goldman an email and didnt receive a reply. So I waited until mid April and talked to the person over the phone at the dept and I asked them to be very blunt with me and to tell me the truth. Last year I submitted EVERYTHING in October. From what I was told, if I didn't get any acceptance by end of march/ early April, my chances of getting in was very low to zero chances. Everyone who was admitted by the dept in march was the total amount they would allow in and they will only make exceptions to allow more when those who were admitted rejected them. Don't want to get your hopes down, I just wanted to let you guys know what happened to me. I was accepted this year on march 1st but luckily this was not the only school I applied to. I also got into Berkeley which is the school I will be attending. I already rejected SJSU so you guys will have a greater chance of getting in. I Felt cheated that sjsu rejected me for reasons I don't know, especially when I submitted everything early and my work experience was exactly what they were looking for. Don't let this keep you down. If you don't get in this year, gain more experience in a related field and apply to more schools. There are far better msw programs in California (especially in the Bay Area) than SJSU.

Best of luck to you all

Hello everyone, I've been using gradcafe for over a year now but just mainly browsing. Never had to post or ask anything since many of the people before and you guys asked and answer them. Well last year when I applied I had over two years of social work experience working for the state, a year of volunteer service, and a few months of having a teaching job for kids with behavioral problems and I didnt get in. My personal statement and essay was great and strong, LOR was very good from people who had PHD and masters in social work as well, my gpa was at 3.4 which I think is great for the field we all are going in. When it was getting towards the end of march last year and I still haven't received any notice, I sent Dr. Goldman an email and didnt receive a reply. So I waited until mid April and talked to the person over the phone at the dept and I asked them to be very blunt with me and to tell me the truth. Last year I submitted EVERYTHING in October. From what I was told, if I didn't get any acceptance by end of march/ early April, my chances of getting in was very low to zero chances. Everyone who was admitted by the dept in march was the total amount they would allow in and they will only make exceptions to allow more when those who were admitted rejected them. Don't want to get your hopes down, I just wanted to let you guys know what happened to me. I was accepted this year on march 1st but luckily this was not the only school I applied to. I also got into Berkeley which is the school I will be attending. I already rejected SJSU so you guys will have a greater chance of getting in. I Felt cheated that sjsu rejected me for reasons I don't know, especially when I submitted everything early and my work experience was exactly what they were looking for. Don't let this keep you down. If you don't get in this year, gain more experience in a related field and apply to more schools. There are far better msw programs in California (especially in the Bay Area) than SJSU.

Best of luck to you all

Thanks for the info. So, if we don't hear back by end of March, then we don't get in? That's disappointing, but THANK YOU sooo much for sharing this info. with me. This way I don't worry myself to death over it!

Best of luck to you all

Thank you for this! And congrats on UCB!

Thanks for the info. So, if we don't hear back by end of March, then we don't get in? That's disappointing, but THANK YOU sooo much for sharing this info. with me. This way I don't worry myself to death over it!

It's possible that I applied when it was very competitive but I highly doubt it. I read a few post of people who were admitted that did not have that great of experience. I believe my application was overlooked or possibly misplaced and it was too late to be admitted. Seeing as I was admitted very early this year that could have been the case. The only thing different between my last application to the current one I submitted in October was that I had another year of social work experience. Everything else was the same. Keep your head up! I'm sure many people who applied to sjsu only applied as a back up. I was given til the end of march to accept or reject in which I rejected and I'm sure there will be many more people like me once they hear from other schools. If sjsu is your #1 choice, I would call the dept to confirm that they are still sending out admissions til end of April. That way you'll have a estimate somewhat of how many people rejected their admission. Last year it ended in early April.