MSW with a low GPA

jmc41

Hi everyone,

I am a senior graduating from The Ohio State University in May. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.8.... I know, awful.

What MSW programs do you think would accept me? I plan to take the GRE soon.

Any success stories for me? People with low GPAs who got into a program? 

Anyone get into SFSU with a GPA of 2.8?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Since you are applying for Social work school, the people tend to be forgiving. Nonetheless, they still have a criteria, they want to make sure you can handle graduate work. It's going to test how well you can juggle reading,papers,presentations, placement work, and other things. Needless to say your GPA doesn't reflect your ability to do so. But what was your major? If your major was a tough subject like biology or something like that....it's forgivable. If it leans to a social science then it can possibly hurt you because social work is a social science and it doesn't prove you you can deal with the work load. Nevertheless, this is where you will need to have 3 strong letters of recommendations, a strong essay, a diverse resume (showing you are already in the field or done volunteer work with marginalized groups), and if you are taking the GRE's then they need to be strong as well. You should also explain your grades in your essay. The most important things are: showing you have faced adversity and how you are diverse(in your essay), showing you have the ability to keep up(GRE's and letter of rec's.), and showing how you want to make change in the community (essay and resume). 

My GPA is cumulative 3.4 and for my major was a 3.7.

I had horrible grades as a freshman. I got a couple of C's, about eight W's and one D.

But my grades rose significantly in part of my sophomore year, my junior and senior year to straight A's.

Apply to programs that have a high acceptance rate. Usually bigger school who have more money will accept you....but it will still be tough.

To be honest, you probably wont get into your first pick, but you will get in some where....it's still is social work school. But make sure you apply to 6 schools at least. 

I would shoot for Columbia University and NYU. They accept anyone....but you will get out of grad school in so much debt....you might reevaluate that decision after you graduate. I know people who got into those schools but couldn't get into the less expensive schools. At least you pay for the name and recognition, thus hopefully getting a job where it will make you shine and you can make over 100k to pay off your debt. 

I'm in a pretty similar position, but I have gotten into some schools as well. I have gotten into a state school and hope to hear from some others soon. I know the California schools can be fairly picky, but as one person suggested, you should apply to a lot of schools. More applications means more opportunities to be accepted, regardless of your GPA. In your applications, just acknowledge that your GPA is lower and take ownership of it. Tell them what your situation was that made your GPA so low and why it would be different in graduate school. Hope this helps a bit.

A few years back I graduated with a 2.95 and got accepted to two of the five schools I applied to, and one offered me a scholarship! I ended up going to the non-scholarship school because of the location. None of the schools I applied to required GREs, so I didn't take them. I would recommend finding some professors who will give you really good recommendations.

It can be done, you just need to make sure all the other parts of your application make up for it. Good luck!

As far as debt is concerned... It's an MSW. You won't be making much when you graduate, so don't take out a ridiculous amount of loans to get the degree. It's not worth it, and the job market now is not pretty.

Hi!

I withdrew for a semester and replaced two failing grades on my transcript as well as having 2 D's on my transcript still. However, all of that happened in my year and a half at my college. After withdrawing for a semester, I came back and my grades have been much better. My overall GPA when I applied was a 3.09 (Since graduating in December, it's a 3.2) but my last 60 credit hours was a 3.54 (now a 3.81). I have gotten into every school I applied to so far, except wait-listed at the University of Chicago.

I don't think my academic record hindered me too much, but I also have two years of experience and strong LORs. When applying with a lower GPA, make sure that you have strong letters as well as explaining in your essay why your GPA is so low. It's better to draw attention to it yourself and explain than wait for them to catch it.

Hope this helps!

I actually did much better my freshman/sophomore year than later on, thanks to some mental health and family issues. I was on academic probation and eventually asked to leave. I reapplied the next year and came back, retook some classes to replace some failing grades, and graduated. with a 2.95 from that university, but overall (averaged with my GPA from the school I attended before transferring) it was a 3.2. Still, some schools only care about the last 60 credit hours.

Anyway, I was worried that I would have no success because of my GPA, but so far I've received one acceptance! I even got a scholarship. I've had 3 years of work experience after graduation, so I'm sure that helped. (I also had a good GRE score, but Pittsburgh didn't require the GRE.) I also made sure to emphasize the progress that I've made in my personal statement.

Hi.

Since you are applying for Social work school, the people tend to be forgiving. Nonetheless, they still have a criteria, they want to make sure you can handle graduate work. It's going to test how well you can juggle reading,papers,presentations, placement work, and other things. Needless to say your GPA doesn't reflect your ability to do so. But what was your major? If your major was a tough subject like biology or something like that....it's forgivable. If it leans to a social science then it can possibly hurt you because social work is a social science and it doesn't prove you you can deal with the work load. Nevertheless, this is where you will need to have 3 strong letters of recommendations, a strong essay, a diverse resume (showing you are already in the field or done volunteer work with marginalized groups), and if you are taking the GRE's then they need to be strong as well. You should also explain your grades in your essay. The most important things are: showing you have faced adversity and how you are diverse(in your essay), showing you have the ability to keep up(GRE's and letter of rec's.), and showing how you want to make change in the community (essay and resume). 

I had horrible grades as a freshman. I got a couple of C's, about eight W's and one D.

But my grades rose significantly in part of my sophomore year, my junior and senior year to straight A's.

Apply to programs that have a high acceptance rate. Usually bigger school who have more money will accept you....but it will still be tough.

To be honest, you probably wont get into your first pick, but you will get in some where....it's still is social work school. But make sure you apply to 6 schools at least. 

I would shoot for Columbia University and NYU. They accept anyone....but you will get out of grad school in so much debt....you might reevaluate that decision after you graduate. I know people who got into those schools but couldn't get into the less expensive schools. At least you pay for the name and recognition, thus hopefully getting a job where it will make you shine and you can make over 100k to pay off your debt. 

Hi Ninale15,

I was just reading your post and wanted to ask why/how you know that Columbia and NYU "accept anyone"? I've just gotten accepted to NYU, $8,000 scholarship, preparing for admissions interview at Hunter next week and have a pretty good feeling that I will hear back from Fordham with a positive. I'm asking you about this because on the one hand, I love the location and clinical strength of NYU, but if I get that acceptance letter from Hunter after my interview, there's no question that the $$ question comes into play. I would, of course, like to think that my overall application was what got me into these schools, which are supposed to be highly competitive, but I would also be concerned about going to a school who just accept anyone who can pay for it (assuming that is what you mean, but not sure).

Anyway, it really is a serious question and I really would like to know how you know this, because it is a huge decision and I wouldn't want to be seen out in the field as someone who went to NYU, but they accept anyone. I know of people who have been rejected to these programs, so there has to be some criteria used to accept or reject. Thanks so much.

Hi Ninale15,

I was just reading your post and wanted to ask why/how you know that Columbia and NYU "accept anyone"? I've just gotten accepted to NYU, $8,000 scholarship, preparing for admissions interview at Hunter next week and have a pretty good feeling that I will hear back from Fordham with a positive. I'm asking you about this because on the one hand, I love the location and clinical strength of NYU, but if I get that acceptance letter from Hunter after my interview, there's no question that the $$ question comes into play. I would, of course, like to think that my overall application was what got me into these schools, which are supposed to be highly competitive, but I would also be concerned about going to a school who just accept anyone who can pay for it (assuming that is what you mean, but not sure).

Anyway, it really is a serious question and I really would like to know how you know this, because it is a huge decision and I wouldn't want to be seen out in the field as someone who went to NYU, but they accept anyone. I know of people who have been rejected to these programs, so there has to be some criteria used to accept or reject. Thanks so much.

Thank you for raising this question as I was wondering the same thing.

These are schools with very good academic reputations. I doubt they accept "anyone." I think the reason that the acceptance rates are high, if they actually are, is because those who are looking to apply to graduate school are generally intelligent people. Therefore, while they can't accept all the applicants who meet their requirements, they would like to give the opportunity to as many promising candidates as they can. At least that is my outlook on it.

• 3 years later...

The most recent publication on this topic is "Picky, picky, picky: ranking graduate schools of social work by student selectivity" published in 2009. Recently, the Council on Social Work Education has intentionally denied access to acceptance rate information. 

As of that time, San Franscisco had the lowest admissions rate of any MSW program, at 17.4% with an 87% yield rate (87% of those admitted enrolled). Columbia, at that time, had an 63.2% admissions rate with a 69.2% yield rate. Hunter has a 37.1% acceptance rate with a 66.9% yield rate. New York University had a 70.4% admissions rate with a 39.4% yield rate. 

Basically, the "top ranked" US News schools have much higher admissions rates, but tend to bury graduates in huge amounts of debts that they tend to ignore. Of the "top" schools, UChicago and Case seem to have among the most financial aid.

Also, from a 2011 article: "Top-ranked programs tended to be nonselective as regards MSW student admissions. Admissions rates of 70%, or even 80%, at our leading schools of social work raise serious concerns about the motivations and consequences of lax admissions standards, particularly when the universities housing these schools are known to have already accumulated mountainous endowments."  "Our Best Schools of Social Work: How Good Are They?" in Social Work Research.

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone, 

My name is victor and I am from Cuba. I'm thinking to apply to the MSW program next year but my gpa is really low 2.7. However I got a good Gre score 160 in quantitative and 165 in verbal. I want to know what are my chances. I'm thinking to apply next year. thanks any help is appreciated 

Edited by Victor Filman

Hello everyone, 

My name is victor and I am from Cuba. I'm thinking to apply to the MSW program next year but my gpa is really low 2.7. However I got a good Gre score 160 in quantitative and 165 in verbal. I want to know what are my chances. I'm thinking to apply next year. thanks any help is appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2013 at 2:48 PM, jmc41 said:

Hi everyone,

I am a senior graduating from The Ohio State University in May. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.8.... I know, awful.

What MSW programs do you think would accept me? I plan to take the GRE soon.

Any success stories for me? People with low GPAs who got into a program? 

Anyone get into SFSU with a GPA of 2.8?

Thanks!

Honestly, as long as your resume and CV are up to par and you demonstrate your ability to work hard and learn you can get in anywhere. I was accepted into USC this fall 2017 with a cum GPA of 2.5, the GPA that I finished my undergrad with wasn't considered but either way hard work speaks for itself. 

On 2/16/2013 at 9:00 AM, nxl040904 said:

Hi.

I think it all depends on where you want to go after you finish your MSW. For instance, I know that Hunter College for example is a cheap school, and well recognized in NYC but if you move away from the city, a Columbia or NYU degree is more widely recognized. The 100k debt though is hefty and a bit ridiculous I agree with that. However, if you go the clinical route, it is possible to repay your debt off because you typically get paid more than other types of social workers.

On 7/28/2017 at 9:56 PM, Ty said:

Honestly, as long as your resume and CV are up to par and you demonstrate your ability to work hard and learn you can get in anywhere. I was accepted into USC this fall 2017 with a cum GPA of 2.5, the GPA that I finished my undergrad with wasn't considered but either way hard work speaks for itself. 

This gives me so much hope. I transferred twice (first time I got bullied out of my original school, second one was a random school I went to to get out of the first one and I did horribly, this one I am graduating from I am doing so well w/ a 3.72 GPA and involved in the community). I don't have much volunteer work but I have been getting experience in public policy and medical social work with the VA Hospital and I think that will help me. Anyway, thank you for posting this!

• 7 months later...

Hello guys. i need some advice. I am from a small town in Cuba. I came to USA a year ago and i am thinking applying to a msw program. My gpa is not good, 2.68, i know is bad, but i have a rough live. I took the gre my verbal was accpetable 154 and my quantitative was 150, i dont know if this is enough to apply to a good program. i have good recommendation letters, work experience working with communities with needs in Cuba and i made conferences in the USA talking about Cuban social problems. I am really into a social work path, i want to help other people like me. So, any advice should be great. I was thinking apply to NYU, but i think it will impossible to me to get in there, they require 3.0 gpa minimum. Any help? Any success story with a low gpa getting into a msw program?

Hello!

I just got accepted to Loyola Chicago with a 2.7 cumulative GPA. I will be put on probation the first semester meaning I have to earn a 3.0 or above in all my classes. I am pretty stoked as I was positive I would not get in with my grades. But they said I had other components that would make me successful. I also just got an email from University of Michigan requesting an interview so not a outright rejection which is hopeful. So it is definitely possible!!

I am not sure of applying to NYU. I don't think it matters what school you go to. If you have passion and can verbalize why you want your MSW I'm sure some school will accept you. I would not get into more than a 1st years salary of debt to get a MSW. I personally plan on getting a MSW but will have to work a few years and then have my work pay for it.......