2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Anyone get an email from Michigan State telling them "Your graduate application account for the Masters in CSD has been created. You may return
to edit your application before submitting it for review by following
this link:"

It took me to my GIMS and is asking for all of the things I had already uploaded earlier.  I know they had had trouble linking my GIMS earlier due to a weird glitch, so maybe it's because of that or did anyone else get something?

Just got an email from a grad admissions / program coordinator about the starting term of their program since I'm out-of-field (with some pre-requisites).  I thought I was all set to start during the second summer session if I get accepted ... but they realized today that I have to start during the first summer session because one of the two pre-reqs I still need is a two-session thing...  

I am disappointed, because if I have to resign early from my teaching job to start during the first summer session, I will lose my local bonus (over $1800) which is only given to those teachers who work for the entire school year... UGH!  I considered the alternative of having the majority of the summer available to find and start a part-time job in the area of that school, which could help make up for the bonus pay that I'd lose... but MAN I'd love to get into that school... well, also anywhere else I applied, too.  Wouldn't have wasted the $ otherwise!  Going to try to stay positive about this. :-/ 

Just got an email from a grad admissions / program coordinator about the starting term of their program since I'm out-of-field (with some pre-requisites).  I thought I was all set to start during the second summer session if I get accepted ... but they realized today that I have to start during the first summer session because one of the two pre-reqs I still need is a two-session thing...  

I am disappointed, because if I have to resign early from my teaching job to start during the first summer session, I will lose my local bonus (over $1800) which is only given to those teachers who work for the entire school year... UGH!  I considered the alternative of having the majority of the summer available to find and start a part-time job in the area of that school, which could help make up for the bonus pay that I'd lose... but MAN I'd love to get into that school... well, also anywhere else I applied, too.  Wouldn't have wasted the $ otherwise!  Going to try to stay positive about this. :-/ 

Do you have to take the pre-req(s) THERE during the summer or can you do it online? That way you could still work the full year. 

Do you have to take the pre-req(s) THERE during the summer or can you do it online? That way you could still work the full year. 

Unfortunately the pre-reqs I need can only be done on campus for this particular school.  Talked with the person who emailed me and there are no online or off-site options for these particular ones.  They are the same two classes that I knew I'd have to have, but we originally thought they were both Summer II.  Maybe it's all a wash in the end if I'm in my top-preferred program.  I need this career change ASAP!   

Edited by kcald716

I applied to the University of Minnesota & Saint Cloud State University.  Considered University of Wisconsin, River Falls but they have a separate admissions process for people who are out-of-field - and successful completion of the pre-req program does not guarantee placement in the masters program.  I know that this isn't uncommon, but since both the UMN and SCSU give full acceptance to out-of-field candidates (with the understanding that it then becomes a 3-year program, with the first year spent completing pre-reqs), I decided not to apply.

The U's deadline was on January 7th & SCSU was on February 1st.  I submitted both on January 5th, so I've just been patiently going crazy since then.  I anticipate hearing from the U in about a week and a half, SCSU sometime in the second week of March.

I did get a (very thin) letter from SCSU this Monday - when I saw it was only a single sheet, I fell to pieces, thinking it could only mean one thing.

It was a letter (sent via snail mail) to let me know that my application was complete (it had been for a month!) and under consideration.  *headdesk*

I am also from the Twin Cities! I applied to SCSU and the U, as well as a number of out of state programs. I currently work at the U on a research project in the Pediatrics Department, so I am crossing my fingers!I have heard great things about the U's program, but also that it is very competitive to get in to (Aren't they all, though?!) Hopefully we will hear back soon!

Applied: UC Boulder, GWU, Rush U, Vanderbilt, University of MN, SCSU, MGH, Northwestern, UW Med-SLP

Accepted: GWU

Rejected:

I received an email yesterday from GWU stating that my application has been sent to the department for review. For those of you who have heard back, how long after receiving this email did you receive a decision? Thanks!

So I just checked the results search and it seemed like applicants started hearing back from UNC-CH on February 9th last year! The bulk seemed to come around the 28th. Just freaking out a tad over here... especially since I know UNC-CH is such a long shot for me. 

Received my first rejection from Rush, but was then cheered up by my invitation to interview at New York Medical College!

hi! did your NYMC interview request from the new york medical college email account? or did it come from jo kert?

i've had issues in the past getting emails from the NYMC email account (they tried sending one email to me three times and I never got it) so I want to make sure the email got through if I got an interview! The problem is I'll have no way of knowing if the email didn't get through or if I just didn't get an interview and I don't want to be presumptuous. Any suggestions??

i submitted my app in december, so I would think that if I were to get an interview, I would've heard by now, right?

hi! did your NYMC interview request from the new york medical college email account? or did it come from jo kert?

i've had issues in the past getting emails from the NYMC email account (they tried sending one email to me three times and I never got it) so I want to make sure the email got through if I got an interview! The problem is I'll have no way of knowing if the email didn't get through or if I just didn't get an interview and I don't want to be presumptuous. Any suggestions??

i submitted my app in december, so I would think that if I were to get an interview, I would've heard by now, right?

My email was sent from Ms.Carrion. The email contained the same letter that was to be mailed to me. If you are having trouble with receiving emails- don't fret, you would still be notified via mail- I received the email and am currently waiting for the postal letter. I would call them sometime next week if you do not hear anything. I don't think it to be presumptuous, you have every right to ask, you paid to apply there! I would just explain that you do not receive the emails from the school and you just wanted to make sure that you did not miss any important notifications.

So I just checked the results search and it seemed like applicants started hearing back from UNC-CH on February 9th last year! The bulk seemed to come around the 28th. Just freaking out a tad over here... especially since I know UNC-CH is such a long shot for me. 

Yeah, I saw that too :/ if we are talking about the same post, it looks like they actually received the notification in late January (but didn't post it on here until Feb)?! I'm wondering if it has to do with funding...I know for UNC's autism grant (and others, I'm sure) students can't even access the application for funding until they are accepted.

I just had a wave of relief wash over me.

University of South Carolina still listed my application as incomplete, as it said I was missing one LOR. I had sent that particular letter back in November, so it was really making me nervous (the deadline was February 1). I called the Graduate School and it turns out they had my letter in some file for people who never actually apply. Luckily, they will count the letter as before the deadline since it was there in November.

I am so happy that I am neurotic enough to keep following up.   :)

so did BU imply that interview invites were being sent in the mail?

That's what I'm thinking, because they said student will be notified BETWEEN 2/12 and 2/14. I heard earlier that they would have invites by today, so I think they meant they would mail the final invites today, and depending on geographic location/USPS the invited students would receive the letter tomorrow-Thurs. :(

originally they were saying you'd hear today, the 11th. I assumed it'd be email based on the email response I got when I asked,  but I'm not surprised it's been pushed back due to the blizzard. BU was closed on friday and many people are still have difficulty commuting into work in the Boston area today

Just got off the phone with Michelle mentis from bu. She said it is via email and this is just for the FIRST round of interviews??!?! Apparently they plan to do 2 rounds.....

first round meaning that qualified applicants have to go through two rounds of interviews? or first round meaning some interviewees will find out this week and some will find out later??

i just thought they said all interviews were feb 22-24