Yale interview-graphic design.

dwise1

I have an interview scheduled for April 1st with Yale for their three year graphic design program and I'm a bit nervous and confused on what to expects. They ask to see in person(no digital) ten additional pieces. I'm assuming they want to see posters, magazine, book designs, and more. Now, do they want to see completely different materials or do you think different works from the same sets sent in originally could also fly in addition too completely different works?

Also has anyone had experience interviewing with yale in general? What kind if questions will be asked, how serious is the interview or is it pretty lax(this is yale after all)? Will I be completely drilled in my statement?

And finally has anyone heard from MICA or Cranbrook yet?

Yeah. I'm currently working on a couple editorial/ self-initiated book designs and some process poster and final designs. I'm also trying to get together an archival project that involves the university's press and the rare typefaces it holds. Well see what happens.

Yeah I was invited for an interview at their studio. I was told to bring a "portfolio". Do they want to see the work a sent in with my app in person or a mix of new and that or only new. I'm really excited...I have the cranbrook interview my solo exhibition of my bfa and then yale all in three weeks!!! So much to do.

I'm wondering that too, about the portfolio. I'm super excited to meet Elliott and see the campus! I've been following Cranbrook for the past few months and continue to be inspired by what they do.

Wow! You've got a lot on your plate. Best of luck with everything!

• 1 month later...

I interviewed at yale on the 29th-I think it went somewhere in the realm of okay/alright, I showed some of the work I submitted on my original portfolio, then brought in some new pieces-they didn't really say "oh we've seen this before from you"/"this is new" ect. ect. But we went through it all and then had a conversation where I got to ask questions and they asked me some questions, I guess typical interview stuff. Don't be nervous! (of course I was too at the time, but I think they expect that a bit) I did get a bit lost during the interview-there are 5 professors and some of them ask questions at the same time or are interested in different aspects of your work, so I felt it was a bit difficult to address a tailored answer to each one, but overall it went fairly smoothly. Best of Luck! 

I had my interview earlier today and had somewhat of a similar experience.  I was interviewed by six faculty and then meet with two graduate students in their first year(after prelim).  The portion with the faculty was an hour long.  I brought 10 posters consisting of a mix between those sent in online with my original portfolio and others that where developed after my submission.  The first part of the interview seemed like a heavy critique/light interrogation of two poster/banners.  At one moment I rebutted with a pretty heavy/aggressive defense of a project and think that may have either helped or hurt(who knows).  The faculty did seem to fire off many questions and at moments did seem to talk over one another which was somewhat difficult to navigate, but I tried and hoped I managed to do well enough.  After that we moved through the work and they asked questions here and there and listened to my explanations and background on the projects.  I didn't get to discuss my statement in depth with them as they were busy reacting to the work in front of them.

The next portion of the interview consisted of a more in depth discussion on the program itself, how it functions, and what the goal of the preliminary is.  This, I found was very important as their wiki site doesn't do a very good job at explaining the courses and the trajectory a student takes.  After the typical interview stuff the staff exited and the students entered.  This interaction was a lot more casual and not much is really needed to be said except the students were extremely nice, offered great insight, and answered every question I possibly had in more detail than needed.  I will have my answer this week hopefully sooner than later and will keep everyone posted.

wait listed by yale....

I have decided to go to cranbrook if Im not removed from the wait list, but cranbrook requires me to make a non-refundable deposit of 1200(1000 for studio and 200 if I live in a dorm) by sunday.  This is really nerve racking as both schools are my dream schools but bloomfield isnt my dream town...I really fell in love with yale and new haven while up there.  Im filled with mixed emotions now about whats going on and it is hard to articulate.  Does anyone have any experience with yales gd waitlist and what this entails?  How large is it and what are my odds?  Will I know fast or will it really trickle out into May(may 15 being the deadline for notifying me).  I guess things could be worse.