University of California at Berkeley MSW Fall 2013 Applicants

SAY24

Thank you! I've been celebrating since I got the email.  :D

Here are my stats:

GRE - verbal: above average; quantitative is a non-factor

GPA - overall: 3.6; major: 3.8

Volunteer work - 3 years locally and internationally, social service related

Professional work - 5 years full-time in social services/nonprofits (program development, program implementation, program evaluation). For about half of that time, I worked full-time at one org and then part-time at another org. I moved up from coordinator to manager to director. Knowing what I do about social work schools now, you definitely do not need this much experience to get in. Most students have less than this.

For me, getting the experience was valuable for a number of reasons: save money, increase earning potential, and maximize my education. Grad school is expensive. Having more experience has made me more competitive for scholarships. It also means I'll spend less time in grad school trying things out and more time honing my skills in a specific area.

My undergrad major was history so I highlighted how those studies have helped me in my work in social services. Last year on this forum I read that Berkeley accepted students mostly from a psych background. Maybe I'm the unicorn, and if you are, think about how your studies can contribute to your skill as a social worker. What can you bring to the table? For me, it is historical knowledge of systems of oppression and social movements.

About a year ago I read The Social Work Graduate School Applicant's Handbook, which was really helpful. I referred to it continuously while drafting my statements to make sure that I was addressing key elements. I rewrote new drafts from scratch several times. I also had a few mentors/friends help me in editing my statements. They are all getting a card and bottle of wine! I'd like to pay it forward so if you would like me to look at your statement now or in the future, just PM me.

I hope that helps!

For those who were accepted, are you going to the MSW New Admit Reception?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I've been celebrating since I got the email.  :D

Here are my stats:

GRE - verbal: above average; quantitative is a non-factor

GPA - overall: 3.6; major: 3.8

Volunteer work - 3 years locally and internationally, social service related

Professional work - 5 years full-time in social services/nonprofits (program development, program implementation, program evaluation). For about half of that time, I worked full-time at one org and then part-time at another org. I moved up from coordinator to manager to director. Knowing what I do about social work schools now, you definitely do not need this much experience to get in. Most students have less than this.

For me, getting the experience was valuable for a number of reasons: save money, increase earning potential, and maximize my education. Grad school is expensive. Having more experience has made me more competitive for scholarships. It also means I'll spend less time in grad school trying things out and more time honing my skills in a specific area.

My undergrad major was history so I highlighted how those studies have helped me in my work in social services. Last year on this forum I read that Berkeley accepted students mostly from a psych background. Maybe I'm the unicorn, and if you are, think about how your studies can contribute to your skill as a social worker. What can you bring to the table? For me, it is historical knowledge of systems of oppression and social movements.

About a year ago I read The Social Work Graduate School Applicant's Handbook, which was really helpful. I referred to it continuously while drafting my statements to make sure that I was addressing key elements. I rewrote new drafts from scratch several times. I also had a few mentors/friends help me in editing my statements. They are all getting a card and bottle of wine! I'd like to pay it forward so if you would like me to look at your statement now or in the future, just PM me.

I hope that helps!

For those who were accepted, are you going to the MSW New Admit Reception?

Congrats! & thanks for the info! Good luck to everyone this week!

Hello Everyone,

I've never posted before, but have found these types of forums extremely helpful. I was refering to this particular thread over and over again, especially as the date grew nearer for admission. I found out last Friday, March 15th, that I was accepted into the CMH concentration through an email from the department, and recently received an official acceptance from the graduate division! I wish the best of luck to everyone else, hang in there.

Hello Everyone,

I've never posted before, but have found these types of forums extremely helpful. I was refering to this particular thread over and over again, especially as the date grew nearer for admission. I found out last Friday, March 15th, that I was accepted into the CMH concentration through an email from the department, and recently received an official acceptance from the graduate division! I wish the best of luck to everyone else, hang in there.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Hello Everyone,

There's still hope! Could you also post your stats?

There's still hope! Could you also post your stats?

There's always hope, keep hanging on!

I graduated with a BA in Psychology last Spring and have spent the past year volunteering at a community mental health agency, which also coincidentally is a field placement site that the School often sends Interns to. Apart from that, my experience is about a year of research and ABA Therapy. My undergrad GPA was 3.9 something. GREs: Slightly below average on Verbal I think, awful on Quantitative, and a 5 on the essay portion. What I think really helped were my statements - I spent so much time revising and receiving feedback from interns and mentors, and strong letters of rec. If I had advice for people like me, who haven't spent countless years of service in the field yet but have a strong commitment to do so, it would be to make sure that your motivation resounds in your actions and writing - literally pave the way and show them you're a leader/researcher.

There's always hope, keep hanging on!

I graduated with a BA in Psychology last Spring and have spent the past year volunteering at a community mental health agency, which also coincidentally is a field placement site that the School often sends Interns to. Apart from that, my experience is about a year of research and ABA Therapy. My undergrad GPA was 3.9 something. GREs: Slightly below average on Verbal I think, awful on Quantitative, and a 5 on the essay portion. What I think really helped were my statements - I spent so much time revising and receiving feedback from interns and mentors, and strong letters of rec. If I had advice for people like me, who haven't spent countless years of service in the field yet but have a strong commitment to do so, it would be to make sure that your motivation resounds in your actions and writing - literally pave the way and show them you're a leader/researcher.

Thanks! That's helpful. Was the e-mail pretty specific/general? And did they tell you how long you have to accept?

Thanks! That's helpful. Was the e-mail pretty specific/general? And did they tell you how long you have to accept?

The email from the department is pretty specific in terms of when certain dates are, including when to submit the intent to register (they give a month). The one from the graduate division itself is just a general letter of welcome.

Hi All, 

I have also been following this thread and have it really helpful throughout application and now the waiting process. I've applied to UC Berkeley's and SF State's Title IV E programs, and have been accepted at SF state, however, I'm still waiting to hear back from UCB.   

Has anyone who applied and interviewed for UCB's Title IV E program heard back yet?

Hi All,

I have also been following this thread and have it really helpful throughout application and now the waiting process. I've applied to UC Berkeley's and SF State's Title IV E programs, and have been accepted at SF state, however, I'm still waiting to hear back from UCB.

Has anyone who applied and interviewed for UCB's Title IV E program heard back yet?

Hi prevail,

I'm in the same boat... Got into SF State but haven't heard from Berkeley yet. I thought we'd hear this week but now I'm not sure. What did you think of SFSU?

Hi All,

I haven't heard back from SFSU yet.... When was your interview?

I haven't heard back from SFSU yet.... When was your interview?

I had my interview for SF State's Title IV-E Program early March and was accepted about a week later some time around mid- March.  Have you heard anything recently?

I found out late last week that I am wait listed for Berkeley's Title IV-E Program, so it's back to the waiting game.

Best of luck to all the applicants, and congratulations to those accepted!

Hi prevail,

I'm in the same boat... Got into SF State but haven't heard from Berkeley yet. I thought we'd hear this week but now I'm not sure. What did you think of SFSU?

Hi dida,

I've heard good things about SFSU's Title IV-E program and most likely will attend there if the wait list for UCB doesn't pan out.   I've been doing more research on the program recently and found a great article.

http://xpress.sfsu.edu/archives/news/013054.html

Have you decided where you'll be next year?

I had my interview for SF State's Title IV-E Program early March and was accepted about a week later some time around mid- March.  Have you heard anything recently?

I found out late last week that I am wait listed for Berkeley's Title IV-E Program, so it's back to the waiting game.

Best of luck to all the applicants, and congratulations to those accepted!

Nope.. its not looking good. I had my interview at the end of Feb. Good luck with UCB though!!

Hi all --

I'm new to this forum and am planning to apply to the Berkeley MSW program for Fall 2014. I'm curious from those of you who went through the process this year, what sort of relationships, if any, did you establish during the year with instructors or administrators in the program? Was there an interview process -- or did any of you find it helpful to make contact in other ways? I've read so many different points of view with regard to other programs, I'm curious if Berkeley has a certain "culture" where that's more (or less) expected. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

M

Sorry for the late post! But I applied to the Title IV-E Program at UCB and I heard back from them about 2 weeks ago that I got in. It was through a phone call from Catharine Ralph. Hope that helps a little for anybody still waiting.

Hi all --

I'm new to this forum and am planning to apply to the Berkeley MSW program for Fall 2014. I'm curious from those of you who went through the process this year, what sort of relationships, if any, did you establish during the year with instructors or administrators in the program? Was there an interview process -- or did any of you find it helpful to make contact in other ways? I've read so many different points of view with regard to other programs, I'm curious if Berkeley has a certain "culture" where that's more (or less) expected. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

M

I just finished my rounds of applications this year.  I got into all four schools I applied to, so I can't say that there are any particular differences in programs.  For Berkeley's program, I did not reach out to any instructors or administrators in the program.  I had a one-on-one with a mentor of mine who lectures there, but she has no say in the admissions process.  She let me know more about what the program is like as opposed to the process for getting in.  She recommended that I sit in on classes, meet the professors, and figure out if this is the right place for me.  Sadly, with time constraints, I didn't get around to making the recommended effort.  I think it's important to get to know the professors in the program for yourself and not necessarily for your admission, because you have to decide whether or not to accept them as well.  It would have been a lot more helpful if I had done this.  Luckily, I have friends in the program who were able to answer most of the questions I had. 

I hope this is somewhat helpful.