Grad School Visits: What to Wear?

Carolina08

Okay here is a question for the women? What do you wear to the Grad school visitation weekends? I've heard everything from dress in casual clothes (though no t-shirts) to go all out. All in all I'm lost. I want to make a good impression but these events are all day affairs so I also want to be comfortable.

That said here are the factors I'm working with:

1) Obviously I'm already accepted. I've been offered a 5 year funding package plus stipend for a PhD in History

2) The school I'm visiting is an Ivy League, but the faculty appears pretty laid back. At least the ones I'll be working with that is. Note: I've never stepped foot on a Ivy League campus. For undergrad I did 2 years at a small private methodist university then finished at an elite Public.

3) The main day begins at 9am & ends with a party starting at 9pm. During this time I have two important events a meeting with the DGS & a faculty question/answer panel. Other than that its socials, housing guides, & tours.

4) I tend to dress nice but never overly decked out (Think J Crew or Martin & Osa). Most of the time I wear nice jean trousers and a sweater or turtleneck to work with a dressy coat.

5) I don't do dresses, heels, or skirts. One of the great things about being gay is you can get away with avoiding heels & wearing pants anywhere and people just chalk it up to the fact that you are a lesbian. It's one of the few benefits we have in this culture & I exploit it at every turn. :D

In short can I get away with something like nice trouser jeans, a turtleneck, & a wool trench coat or do I need to break out the slacks?

Thanks for the help!

For my recruitment visits (meeting faculty, touring campus, etc.. not interviews), I wore dark jeans, a nice top/long sweater, and moccasins. I didn't stand out and was comfortable. The female clothing at the visits ranged from jeans & tank & blazer to dress slacks & sweater to skirt & button-up.

But I always made sure to ask the person who was arranging my trip what the dress code was. Nearly all said casual, though I did get a business casual for one.

5) I don't do dresses, heels, or skirts. One of the great things about being gay is you can get away with avoiding heels & wearing pants anywhere and people just chalk it up to the fact that you are a lesbian. It's one of the few benefits we have in this culture & I exploit it at every turn. :D

I don't really do dresses, heels, or skirts either. I'm not gay, but most of my coworkers probably think I am. Heh heh. :D

Anyway! I would think your good jeans, a sweater, and nice-ish shoes or boots would be just fine. If you're worried that it might be too casual, wear slightly dressier pants -- corduroys, or plain slacks. If you're in doubt, ask.

Also, don't be scared because it's an Ivy. Only a few of my professors dressed up a lot. I did not have a single female professor or TA who wore skirts or dresses all the time, and definitely had some who never wore them.

I say go with who you are. If you're relying on clothes to set the impression, shouldn't you work on your self-esteem? I wore a pair of Dickies pants, a long-sleeve tee shirt, and a Dickies sweat shirt vest on the first day (with my favorite Land's End hiking shoes). On the second day, I wore a long-sleeve "University of Kentucky" tee shirt, jeans, and my favorite shoes. I don't remember anything the profs wore, or anything any of the current students wore, so I'm guessing they don't remember what I wore either. Be comfortable and be yourself -- the last thing I'd think you'd want to do is set a false impression, selling yourself on something that doesn't represent you. Go dressed as you and see if you fit as yourself. The clothes are just coverings, not markers of identity.

I wore a long-sleeve "University of Kentucky" tee shirt.

No offense, but I think that wearing a shirt with a university logo, even if it's your alma mater, to another university's interview/visit is inappropriate. In my opinion, it can easily give the wrong impression that you are more interested in that school than the one you are visiting.

You sound like you're on the right track. You don't want to dress up and end up feeling uncomfortable or tugging at a shirt that you forgot fits you weird all day. I'd say if you're wearing clothes that you can imagine a professor teaching in, you're fine. I wore dark jeans, a nice shirt, a blazer, and my usual walking shoes, and fit right in.

No offense, but I think that wearing a shirt with a university logo, even if it's your alma mater, to another university's interview/visit is inappropriate. In my opinion, it can easily give the wrong impression that you are more interested in that school than the one you are visiting.

Excellent -- because UK is neither my alma mater nor a school I applied to/am interested in. Sure glad I didn't send an inappropriate message. I think some of the advice here is anal-retentive... surely professors choosing grad students realize that clothes are just clothes... I'm not sure I'd want to spend my time with a group of people so willing to judge me by my garments. Just sayin'.

Nothing wrong with looking professional. First impressions get formed really quickly, and are often irrational. Someone may believe intellectually that clothing is unimportant, but still be unable to shake their immediate sense that someone is a slob, or undisciplined, etc.

Spending two years TAing has convinced me of the importance of presentation. Sure, students are ultimately going to recognize your ability if you're a good TA. But you'll get to that realization faster if you dress like a grownup who takes teaching seriously.

Nice! Topless too? ;)

This reminds me of the dress code for my field. In CS we insist on a strict dress code: You must be clothed.

End of dress code.

If I bother with any visits (I don't actually have any planned at the moment) I intend to follow this dress code. It's the same dress code I used when I last spoke at an academic event, it should be fine for a visit. As far as I'm concerned, walking around a college campus to swing by and take a visit isn't anything that formal, nor should it be. If you're dressing up then that's going to be a barrier. You want to drink and talk with these people and get the real information, not go formal on them.

But I'm told CS is different than most fields in this regard. Most of the professors here go by their first names too. So do whatever you feel like.

For my recruitment visits (meeting faculty, touring campus, etc.. not interviews), I wore dark jeans, a nice top/long sweater, and moccasins. I didn't stand out and was comfortable. The female clothing at the visits ranged from jeans & tank & blazer to dress slacks & sweater to skirt & button-up.

But I always made sure to ask the person who was arranging my trip what the dress code was. Nearly all said casual, though I did get a business casual for one.

I think this is solid advice. Some of the schools I've visited have stated that casual dress is fine, but one program wanted business casual.

Also, don't stress out too much! You're already accepted (congratulations!), so as long as you look presentable I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

I'll probably wear flats, a cute patterned tank, a cardigan, and jeans. This is what I usually wear, so I'll be comfy yet still presentable.

I've heard people on other msg boards say "NO JEANS! wear khakis!!" but, I NEVER wear khakis because they are unflattering on my (larger) lower half. So screw that!

I've heard people on other msg boards say "NO JEANS! wear khakis!!" but, I NEVER wear khakis because they are unflattering on my (larger) lower half. So screw that!

Khakis scare me to death. I don't understand why khakis are better than nice, dark jeans. Nobody here is talking about wearing their acid-wash, hole-in-knee, raggedy-bottoms, patch-on-butt-pocket jeans. Though honestly, those would still look better on me than khakis.

For the past three years, I have worked in an academic department at a California State University campus. This campus is extremely casual. I think the President is the only person I have ever seen in a suit and tie. Faculty regularly wear short and flip flops to class. Staff wear pretty much everything except their jammies to work. HOWEVER, when potential graduate students, faculty or staff come to visit or interview, it is assumed that they will wear business or business casual attire even if the person interviewing them is dressed more casually. People who do not observe protocol are definitely discussed afterwards for their lack of professionalism or maturity.

I went to visit my future grad program at UCLA recently and was not surprised exactly but interested to see the staff and faculty dressed far more smartly and professionally than on my CSU campus. I decided to err on the side of caution that day and wore some smart office type pants from Banana Republic, a sweater, coat and flat shoes for walking all over campus and I was glad I did. Having said that, I think there are many ways you can express your personality with your clothing and accessories and still look professional.

UGH! Why is choosing an outfit so difficult?!

I was talked out of jeans by everyone around me; so now I'm trying to put together another outfit.

I hate khakis, but I may be forced to wear them :(

I have black pants, but they are too long to wear with flats :(

Here's two outfits I made on Polyvore: I will def. wear one of these....which one, who knows! :?

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFkVLT3Y1aW9RM2hHdFBONzgtbi1BWWcAAAACaWQKAWUAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFmROdlRacDRRM2hHcklqVW4tRW0xdXcAAAACaWQKAWUAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

What is polyvore.com? Looks fun! I've had current grad students, contacting me about my coming to visit, tell me to just wear nice jeans, a sweater, and decent shoes. They said everyone is always nervous about what to wear and how to act, but relax after a while. And, usually, the day is fully scheduled from 9 am meetings through dinner, so you want to be comfortable. If you're only there for a day or two, you want to be focusing on what's around you, not on how uncomfortable your clothes are! That being said, I work in a business casual office, and jeans are the standard clothing item.

I vote (if you care) for the top outfit. But if you would feel more comfortable in jeans instead of the khakis, go ahead and wear them! Remember: you're already in. You've already sold yourself. Now the department is trying to sell itself to you. Yes, first impressions matter, but as long as you look neat, clean, and put together, and are comfortable enough to talk to and engage the people you're meeting, it won't matter if you're wearing jeans or khakis!

Polyvore is sooo fun! You can play around with clothes and make outfits. I've wasted so much time there!

Thanks for the advice! I'm guess I'm just really nervous. And, I think I will wear outfit #1! with jeans!! :)

It probably depends on the program.

I think dark (nicer) pants and a dressy-ish neutral sweater, with flats, are likely to cause the least amount of thought about what you're wearing.

Agreed. I think it varies by program. I don't think anyone every frowned on me for wearing jeans or gray pants when I did campus visits. As someone else has already said, khakis can be very unflattering for the pear-shaped gal, which is why I don't own a pair. The gray pants are casual pants from The Limited that come in khaki but the medium gray looks better on me. And definitely nice jeans, not the ones with holes in them.

For example, in my discipline, you look dressed up if you present at a conference in a button-down and dress slacks. If you wear a suit, people wonder who you are and what you're doing since you hardly ever see someone in a suit outside of a job interview.