UNC Chapel Hill, anyone?

Just got notified of my acceptance to UNC Chapel Hill by Dr. Thrailkill. Anyone else get the good news?  

I'm not 100% sure I'll be accepting, but I thought it would be good to go ahead and talk to potential cohort members.

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this thread!

I will definitely be visiting for the Prospective Student Open House, and I'm really excited! Right now, UNC is my only acceptance, and I think it's very likely that things will stay that way. Consequently, I feel like a lot is riding on this visit. What if I hate the city? What if the faculty doesn't like me? Can I commit to living in Chapel Hill for six or more years after living in (and loving) Chicago for nearly six years? GAH.

I'd love to chat with other people who are weighing the pros/cons of UNC and who might be attending the Open House. :)

It's (not), feel free to PM me any questions you might have about faculty, living in Chapel Hill, the prpgram, etc. I actually moved here from Chicago, so I understand your concerns. I am actually heading there in four days for spring break, and I can't wait!

And to all of the recently accepted prospective students, I look forward to meeting you later this month!

Hi all,

I'm waitlisted at UNC, but they're offering funded visits to us waitlisters too, so I'll be at the Prospective Student Open House in a little over two weeks!  I've already made my travel arrangements and have notified Dr. Thrailkill, the grad student coordinator, etc.  I'm excited to meet everyone!

What does everyone think about the tentative itinerary?  I think it sounds downright awesome.  I'm a little nervous about the cocktail party (it's a little intimidating for an introverted fellow like myself), but that should be fun too.

It's (not), feel free to PM me any questions you might have about faculty, living in Chapel Hill, the prpgram, etc. I actually moved here from Chicago, so I understand your concerns. I am actually heading there in four days for spring break, and I can't wait!

And to all of the recently accepted prospective students, I look forward to meeting you later this month!

Nice! I will PM you, thank you. :)

Hi all,

I'm waitlisted at UNC, but they're offering funded visits to us waitlisters too, so I'll be at the Prospective Student Open House in a little over two weeks!  I've already made my travel arrangements and have notified Dr. Thrailkill, the grad student coordinator, etc.  I'm excited to meet everyone!

What does everyone think about the tentative itinerary?  I think it sounds downright awesome.  I'm a little nervous about the cocktail party (it's a little intimidating for an introverted fellow like myself), but that should be fun too.

So funny to think that we will probably meet and not know it. OoOooOoooOoo0oo! Haha. I'm crazy excited. I just RSVP'd to Elisa even though I made my arrangements a while ago. I've been sitting on it because I felt like I should have more questions, but nothing was coming to me.

Anyway, the itinerary looks great. The snow-loathing Chicagoan in me just about cried at the thought of planning an outdoor picnic in March. :) I am nervous about being thrown into a sea of people I don't know, but it seems like we'll be too busy to feel lonely. Still, I wonder if I'll have a crazed "PLZ BE MY FWEND" look on my face the whole time. I just hope I'll be able to speak well about myself and my interests--I'm normally very outgoing, but the thought of meeting so many intelligent, passionate people all at once is a little overwhelming.

So funny to think that we will probably meet and not know it. OoOooOoooOoo0oo! Haha. I'm crazy excited. 

If Grad Cafe somehow comes up in any of my conversations, I have no qualms with mentioning that I'm Two Espressos.  B)

A bunch of the regular posters from last season who got into and matriculated at UT-Austin apparently revealed their identities on here.  Like I said in another thread, I'd like to get to know some of you in real life.

Edited by Two Espressos

Do you look like Samuel Beckett?  :D

Not exactly, but I'll probably be the most Beckettian (read: stoic and minimalistic) person there.

And yes, I guess self-identifying does ruin the mystery.  We'll see how it goes.  ^_^

• 11 months later...

I noticed there were some UNC admits on the results board today!  I'm a second-year in the program now, and I'd be happy to talk to some of the admits for this year if you have any questions about the program! :) 

• 1 month later...