2013 Decisions Thread

scholl43

So far gotten in to Korbel and Whitehead, my two safety schools, now waiting for Elliott, Fletcher, SIS, MPIA, and UGA.  Especially waiting for Fletcher and SIS.

Hey I have 2 questions if you don't mind answering:

1.  How long did it take you to hear from Whitehead after you applied (I just submitted my app 3 days ago).

2.  How much different are Korbel and SIS in terms of acceptance?  I got into Korbel as well and was hoping that they were of similar acceptance rates because I really want to get into SIS as well.

Hey I have 2 questions if you don't mind answering:

1. How long did it take you to hear from Whitehead after you applied (I just submitted my app 3 days ago).

2. How much different are Korbel and SIS in terms of acceptance? I got into Korbel as well and was hoping that they were of similar acceptance rates because I really want to get into SIS as well.

I think it was about two or three weeks ago that Whitehead got all my letters of rec. in. They are fairly quick. As for SIS, not sure but I think it's harder than Korbel, but not so hard to get into either.

Does anyone know the exact dates that decisions should be available for these programs:

SAIS

SIPA

Fletcher MALD

Georgetown SFS

The websites just say March or nothing at all.

They should all be available by April 1 at the latest.

When I took an interview for SAIS Bologna, the interviewer  said I will get the result on mid-March.

For Gtown MSFS, my roommate had a chat session thing and the admin told him that the results are gonna come out around 15th till the end of March.

I think I saw 18 of March somewhere in this forum.

Not sure about MALD though!

You are correct.

I applied before December 3rd, so I thought maybe I'd hear back by February 22nd (per their time table online). I did not apply for a fellowship however, so maybe the Feb 22nd notice is only for those who did. Guess all we can do is wait...

Just admitted to Georgetown's Global Human Development program with minimal funding.  If anyone is scrolling through here, it looks like the following schools have sent out at least some admission decisions:

American (not sure if this is SIS)
Carnegie Mellon
Indiana University

Denver/Korbel

Syracuse/Maxwell

Cornell

Tufts/Fletcher

NYU

Georgetown

I'm surprised at receiving the decisions that I have this early.  When I applied in 2009, I didn't receive a decision until early March.  I'm not sure if that just meant more applications, I was less desirable of a candidate, or what.  Basically, if you don't start hearing back from schools until mid-March, don't be too worried.  

Wondering if anyone has insights into the admission comittees with regards to vets. I applied to Elliott and Gtown's SSP. Graduated from West Point in 2005 with a 3.1 (decent there because grades are historically lower than most schools). GRE v-158, q-155, AW 4.0 (not good and pretty sure this ruins my chances with Gtown). I have been an infantry officer for 8 years and served 15 months in Baghdad as a platoon leader and 10 months in Afghanistan as a company commander. Was a level 1 speaker of Pashto two years ago but not so much anymore. Hoping that the GI Bill helps my chances as the school knows they will get money in full. Any insight into how much/little these programs place on admitting vets would be appreciated. Good luck to everyone on this board. Thanks  

Wondering if anyone has insights into the admission comittees with regards to vets. I applied to Elliott and Gtown's SSP. Graduated from West Point in 2005 with a 3.1 (decent there because grades are historically lower than most schools). GRE v-158, q-155, AW 4.0 (not good and pretty sure this ruins my chances with Gtown). I have been an infantry officer for 8 years and served 15 months in Baghdad as a platoon leader and 10 months in Afghanistan as a company commander. Was a level 1 speaker of Pashto two years ago but not so much anymore. Hoping that the GI Bill helps my chances as the school knows they will get money in full. Any insight into how much/little these programs place on admitting vets would be appreciated. Good luck to everyone on this board. Thanks  

when i was speaking to current students at Columbia SIPA, they told me that my veteren status, experience in ranger regiment and my MOS (35F) would give me a big boost, or at least help cover up my bad GRE and GPA. when i was speaking to GWU and JHU though, i didnt sense they thought it was as big a deal as the NY schools because there is a huge veterens population in DC and its not that uncommon i suppose. i dont have an 'in' with any admissions folks but i would think your chances are better than good as long as your LORs and SOP focused on how your command positions prepared you for graduate study. I had a LTC and a CW3 do two of my LORs and I already know that what they said caught the eye of more than one faculty member at some of the schools i applied to.

when i was speaking to current students at Columbia SIPA, they told me that my veteren status, experience in ranger regiment and my MOS (35F) would give me a big boost, or at least help cover up my bad GRE and GPA. when i was speaking to GWU and JHU though, i didnt sense they thought it was as big a deal as the NY schools because there is a huge veterens population in DC and its not that uncommon i suppose. i dont have an 'in' with any admissions folks but i would think your chances are better than good as long as your LORs and SOP focused on how your command positions prepared you for graduate study. I had a LTC and a CW3 do two of my LORs and I already know that what they said caught the eye of more than one faculty member at some of the schools i applied to.

Thanks dude... Kicking myself a little bit for not applying to SIPA. I've been a BN S3 since getting home from Afghanistan and wasn't able to apply to all the schools I should have. I have heard from someone else that they are maybe the most vet friendly program out there. Appreciate the input and good luck with your other schools.

RLTW

Just admitted to Georgetown's Global Human Development program with minimal funding.  If anyone is scrolling through here, it looks like the following schools have sent out at least some admission decisions:

American (not sure if this is SIS)

Carnegie Mellon

Indiana University

Denver/Korbel

Syracuse/Maxwell

Cornell

Tufts/Fletcher

NYU

Georgetown

I'm surprised at receiving the decisions that I have this early.  When I applied in 2009, I didn't receive a decision until early March.  I'm not sure if that just meant more applications, I was less desirable of a candidate, or what.  Basically, if you don't start hearing back from schools until mid-March, don't be too worried.  

Congrats - got the nod into Georgetown's MGHD tonight as well.  Did your funding offer come in the email or was it separate?

Somebody posted a Tufts MALD acceptance. It says "MALD, Other." Can somebody claim this!? Excuse me as I hyperventilate. 

Ok, just looked again. It says received December 15. Must have been early decision. I need to stop drinking coffee before stalking Grad Cafe results. 

Edited by sweettea844

Just got the email that I was accepted into the Georgetown GHD program yesterday! I really didn't expect to get in so I'm thrilled! I didn't hear anything about funding, but I'm hoping the official acceptance includes some funding... fingers crossed!

Hi all

I was admitted too but then got this when I asked why some email had scholarship info and some didn't. Disappointing news!

Dear x,

We have a limited number of scholarships and regret that we cannot offer more scholarships to all our admitted students. If you did not receive a scholarship offer in the initial admissions round there is still the possibility that funds may become available later. 

The official letter from the Graduate School will be available electronically through your ApplyYourself account.

Warmly,
Indhika

No, I wont be attending mainly because I am in Beijing but also because the likelihood of me attending Georgetown without scholarship funding is very very small. It's a pity, the GHD program is so new and I am very curious to know what admitted students day will be like