2013 Decisions Thread

scholl43

Just got an email and was able to view my official acceptance letter for GHD online. They attached the financial award letter. I received a merit scholarship, but it also seems like the graduate school does offer assistantships and fellowships - curious if anyone was awarded one of those, or if anyone knows if GHD actually gives out either of these types of awards?

And Ariana, I'd love to hear your thoughts from Admitted Student Day as well - it's also too far for me to attend. It sounds like a great program, but it would be nice to hear from someone who was able to visit and interact with students, faculty, and staff.

Edited by Wanderlust22

Hey everyone,

Certainly let me know what you'd like me to ask about at admitted students day; PM or post here. I'm starting to think I might be the only one there! Also, as a few other resources, some applicants from last year provided some very detailed descriptions of the program. If you haven't read them, they were really helpful for me in applying. Also, if you haven't been in touch with their program coordinator, I recommend emailing or calling her. I met with her before applying and she gave me a much better idea of what the program is like.

first day of march and the threads in the government affairs section are starting to blow up haha...  im happy to have an acceptance already but the wait to hear back from all the schools is starting to get agonizing. in any case, i wish everyone good luck and hopefully we all get good news the next few days!

first day of march and the threads in the government affairs section are starting to blow up haha...  im happy to have an acceptance already but the wait to hear back from all the schools is starting to get agonizing. in any case, i wish everyone good luck and hopefully we all get good news the next few days!

Same here. Which one's your top choice? SIPA vs. SAIS?

Same here. Which one's your top choice? SIPA vs. SAIS?

i dont actually have a top choice between the 5 i put in for; i didnt visit any of the schools prior, i am in no need of financial aid and i think im going to get a top quality education with lots of networking chances no matter where i end up. i was going to wait to visit the campuses of the schools which accept me before i ranked them in my head. if i had to decide now i would say SIPA i suppose... my sister went to columbia law and i know my family really wants me to get into SIPA because they believe in legacy preference.

Edited by WakeMeUpB4UGoGo

i dont actually have a top choice between the 5 i put in for; i didnt visit any of the schools prior, i am in no need of financial aid and i think im going to get a top quality education with lots of networking chances no matter where i end up. i was going to wait to visit the campuses of the schools which accept me before i ranked them in my head. if i had to decide now i would say SIPA i suppose... my sister went to columbia law and i know my family really wants me to get into SIPA because they believe in legacy preference.

I'm sure you have a good shot at Sipa.

Congrats! Now down to Sipa and Hks, right?

Thank you. Yes, basically. However, I'd have to receive a lot of money from those 2 in order to make it worth it, as financing options at Goldman are very favorable.

Rejected from Goldman, and also just accepted to Duke Sanford MPP with funding! Is anyone here planning to go to the Open House? I'd love to hear impressions from those who went - sounds like it will be a fun event, sorry I'll miss it!

Edited by Wanderlust22

I don't think we'll hear about funding before we have to make a decision on April 15th. This is from Indhika of the admissions office.

Hi XX,

I will be sending highlights from Admitted Student Day after March 20th so will keep you updated on all that is covered.

We generally know of leftover funds before mid May but sometimes funds become available in the summer. 

Question: I am still confused. Is the MGHD part of the School of Foreign Services or the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences? The acceptance letter does not mention SFS anywhere but the says Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Also, when you submit transcripts, the address provided is GSAS. 

GHD is definitely a part of SFS - I think the Graduate School just handles all official acceptance letters and official business. Indhika and I talked alot about the benefits of studying within SFS when I had my interview. 

With regards to financing, I think they've given out the initial merit scholarships to 30-40% of admitted students (that's what the website says) and of course they will probably be re-distributing them to others as people decline admission. It seems, though, that Georgetown also sometimes offers its graduate students fellowships and assistantships. But I don't think anyone accepted to GHD was offered either of those? Those are a different type of funding. 

I informed GHD that I can only attend with full funding. So in the email offer, they directed me to a scholarship I could apply to for full funding and stipend. I'm working on that application now.

I'm working on that application now.

Edited by Pinaman

I just saw this tweet from the Chicago Harris School's admissions office: https://twitter.com/HarrisAdmission/status/307214537516527617

From Feb 28: "Big day tomorrow! Selecting our Fall 2013 class! Decision release in 5-7 days. Stay tuned!" 

... It's possible this is in re PhD admissions, not Master's (there are no PhD decisions on the results board for this year yet), but if so, I guess that means Master's will be a few days after? I have no idea! But hey, idle speculation is always a good idea!

I just saw this tweet from the Chicago Harris School's admissions office: https://twitter.com/HarrisAdmission/status/307214537516527617

From Feb 28: "Big day tomorrow! Selecting our Fall 2013 class! Decision release in 5-7 days. Stay tuned!" 

... It's possible this is in re PhD admissions, not Master's (there are no PhD decisions on the results board for this year yet), but if so, I guess that means Master's will be a few days after? I have no idea! But hey, idle speculation is always a good idea!

Great initiative from them to tweet about admissions..Wish HKS and others would jump on the Twitter wagon too..

Accepted to GWU without money, and USC with full tuition scholarship. Still waiting on UW.

Full tuition. That's awesome. Are you going for USC then if UW doesn't match it?

Question for those who were accepted to the Georgetown GHD program.  How much international development experience do you have?  Did anyone get accepted that had minimal or no development related experience?  I got the impression that to be competitive for the GHD program you needed several years of intl development experience already.  And I believe it is a very small program, something like 20 people accepted in its first year (last year).  I think they are planning to double the incoming class of students this year to 40.  I applied to MSFS Intl Dev instead of GHD because I had less international development experience, and instead international finance experience, so thought I would be more competitive for MSFS than GHD.  I am planning to switch careers to intl development.  Any insight you can share would be helpful.  Thanks

I was accepted to GHD and have two years experience living and working in developing countries and then an additional year working in a developed country.I think what helped me is that my work experience (at least in this year) is clearly related to what type of development work I want to go in to.