Grad School Attire - What will you wear?

I have seen this discussion in other threads, but I think it is relevant to post here as well. What are you planning on wearing while in grad school? Many of  us will be in clinics from day 1, therefore I think we would have to dress nice, but comfortable. While job shadowing in a hospital, both men and women wore pants, button up shirts, and  lab coats. Do you think, as a man, I should wear a tie during clinical, or would business casual suffice?

I almost feel like it depends on the program and nature of the clinic. I know my undergrad institution has more relaxed rules when it comes to clinical attire, but another poster described a more strict dress code at her school. 

I think it also depends on the setting of your clinicals. My undergrad has a strict dresscode for the in-house clinic, but I know some grad students that have placements in EI/home health and have more relaxed rules.  It seems like medical/adult setting usually have stricter dresscodes than school settings, probably out of necessity; it is hard to chase after a 3-yr old while wearing heels and a pencil skirt! 

In the elementary schools out here, female SLPs tend to be very casual-- jeans, sandals, and a blouse, knit shirt, or polo.  

Also, I've noticed that grad students here tend to be SUPER casual on their non-clinic days... they seem to live in yoga pants, t-shirts, and hoodies! I suppose it is a nice break from their more formal clinic attire :P

I know in the clinic at my school, student clinicians are highly encouraged to wear dresses, blouses, slacks, boots, heels, sweaters, cardigans, etc.  We're not allowed to wear jeans, leggings, or sweatshirt material.

I'm somebody who wears sweatpants and t-shirts to class, so I'm going to have to revamp my wardrobe this summer. 

I actually have been looking at the graduate handbooks for SLP at the universities where I applied.  Almost all of them have a dress code spelled out, at least to some degree.  I think most of them suggested business casual or better when around the clinic or anywhere that patients/clients might even have a chance to see you. I noticed on my visit to the University of South Carolina that scrubs were popular in the speech and hearing clinic.  I would imagine that working with a younger client would suggest more comfortable clothing such as scrubs and solid-color shoes, while working with older clients would suggest perhaps the business casual dress.  In coursework, it seems like the current grad students dressed like "put together undergrads" if you know what I mean.  

So... check to see if your prospective schools have a handbook, and you might be surprised about what it says! 

At my school we are required to dress business casual for clinic. Men usually wear khaki slacks and a button up or polo, girls wear pants and a nice top. They are kinda lax about the types of tops we all wore though, as long as they don't show off cleavage. I couldn't imagine having to wear a dress or skirt or heels. My undergrad clinic was all pediatric clients and so i was was on the floor and bending over and picking toys up constantly. Word of advice: invest in some comfortable, but dressy shoes!

The clinic at my grad program has a dress code. It's similar to the ones outlined here. Most people wear dress pants and a sweater/nice shirt. I had an adult client my semester in the clinic so I wore dresses sometimes. Leggings were only allowed when worn under a dress/skirt. I am now in a school and wear the same stuff. Whenever I don't have clients/have time to go home before class I change into more comfortable clothes. However to the OP the probability of you being in the clinic on day ONE is pretty slim. You will most likely at the very very least have a orientation before you start classes/clinic, and most likely you will have at least a week of classes before you are in the clinic. I wouldn't worry about it yet. 

I actually have been looking at the graduate handbooks for SLP at the universities where I applied.  Almost all of them have a dress code spelled out, at least to some degree.

That is awesome advice. That gives me a reason to contact all the schools where I applied. I don't know why I didn't think to ask for handbooks before.

That is awesome advice. That gives me a reason to contact all the schools where I applied. I don't know why I didn't think to ask for handbooks before.

From what I've seen, schools usually have a link to previous years' handbooks on their "Prospective Student" page. You can download it is a .pdf document.  Obviously some may be a bit outdated or irrelevant, but it is a starting point :) 

What are you folks planning to use for a backpack?

I have been working in a professional-dress setting (think blazers, suits, sheath dresses, coat and ties, button-ups, dress trousers, heels, etc.) for 6-7 years now, and I feel like going back to carrying a bookbag is going to make me feel unprofessional.

Right now, I use a red faux-alligator briefcase/laptop bag, but it's tearing inside and isn't going to cut it for grad school.

I am realizing that I am going to need more capacity if I'm going to carry around books, my lunch, possibly a change of shoes, notebooks, laptop, pens, etc. every day, and I will possibly have to park a long way away. This is going to be too much for a briefcase-type bag and too heavy to carry on one sholder, which likely rules out messenger bags also. To make things worse, I have mild thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) because I have a cervical rib. (There's a whole new topic.)

I'm thinking of buying a bookbag/backpack. Do you guys have any thoughts on what kind would look the most professional? Have any of you tried the rolling ones? Are they handy or a hassle?

Edited by tuckerma

I know schools like USF require uniforms during clinic and casual but professional attire outside of clinic. USF is pretty strict, though.

What kind of uniforms do they require? And when you say professional attire outside of clinic, do you mean during classes?

What are you folks planning to use for a backpack?

I have been working in a professional-dress setting (think blazers, suits, sheath dresses, coat and ties, button-ups, dress trousers, heels, etc.) for 6-7 years now, and I feel like going back to carrying a bookbag is going to make me feel unprofessional.

Right now, I use a red faux-alligator briefcase/laptop bag, but it's tearing inside and isn't going to cut it for grad school.

I am realizing that I am going to need more capacity if I'm going to carry around books, my lunch, possibly a change of shoes, notebooks, laptop, pens, etc. every day, and I will possibly have to park a long way away. This is going to be too much for a briefcase-type bag and too heavy to carry on one sholder, which likely rules out messenger bags also. To make things worse, I have mild thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) because I have a cervical rib. (There's a whole new topic.)

I'm thinking of buying a bookbag/backpack. Do you guys have any thoughts on what kind would look the most professional? Have any of you tried the rolling ones? Are they handy or a hassle?

I am looking at a bookbag made by Case Logic on amazon right now -- I anticipate needing to carry my laptop plus books, and this bag looks fairly professional.  Here is what I am looking at: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J9HBSE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

they make different sizes, but since I have an HP (pretty big) laptop, I figure the 17" should work.  

I am also looking at the LL Bean "Carry-All" messenger bag.  Hopefully enough room to fit a small lunch bag in there with my laptop, etc... only $99.  Not too bad for the quality from LL Bean (I had a LL Bean bookbag I used all through high school and college and it is still holding up!) 

I've used the rolling ones before, and they just seem like a hassle :/ the retractable handle &the wheels makes it really bulky and heavy, and it takes up a lot of space inside the pack (and makes the back side rigid, so you can't cram as much stuff inside).  Also, I know the clinicians at my school tend to use those rolling "crates" to tote therapy materials from campus to clinic sites (or research supplies for the RAs who do experiments in nearby schools, etc).  I think it'd be difficult to have to roll a crate AND a backpack (which is probably too heavy to carry because of wheels and handle).  

My mom wants a picture of me in scrubs.  When I was in high school, we were discussing careers and I told her I'd never go to med school and their outfits are ugly (did NOT want to be a physician and apparently was very self-absorbed!).  She'll count it as her "I told you so" picture and treasure it forever... LOL!!