By When Must I Make A Decision?

bk1

Two Questions:

1) I received an offer of admission by e-mail. She said that they will send me a formal letter in the mail. When will they do this by (when MUST they do this by)?

2) Similar question: By when MUST I Make a decision?

Thanks

Two Questions:

1) I received an offer of admission by e-mail. She said that they will send me a formal letter in the mail. When will they do this by (when MUST they do this by)?

Thanks

1) Depends on the school. If they are a member of the council of Graduate Schools, they must do this by April 15th for funded Ph.D. offers.

2) If they are a member of the council of Graduate Schools, you will have to decide on funded Ph.D. offers by April 15th. If they are not a member, then they can set whatever date they choose.

These are questions you should ask the program that admitted you.

1) Depends on the school. If they are a member of the council of Graduate Schools, they must do this by April 15th for funded Ph.D. offers.

2) If they are a member of the council of Graduate Schools, you will have to decide on funded Ph.D. offers by April 15th. If they are not a member, then they can set whatever date they choose.

Where in the CGS resolution does it say that it only applies to "funded Ph.D. offers"?

Where in the CGS resolution does it say that it only applies to "funded Ph.D. offers"?

I don't know. Just what I've heard tossed around when the CGS is discussed, particularly over at the live journal applyingtograd community.

However, in checking on it, it says: "Acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor. In that context, the conditions affecting such offers and their acceptance must be defined carefully and understood by all parties. Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution."

Doesn't say anything about Ph.D.s specifically, but that does address the fact that the resolution is about accepting funding. And I've never heard it referenced with MA offers, perhaps because there are so few funded MA programs in many disciplines. Have you heard of it applying to MA programs?

However, in checking on it, it says: "Acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor. In that context, the conditions affecting such offers and their acceptance must be defined carefully and understood by all parties. Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution."

Doesn't say anything about Ph.D.s specifically, but that does address the fact that the resolution is about accepting funding. And I've never heard it referenced with MA offers, perhaps because there are so few funded MA programs in many disciplines. Have you heard of it applying to MA programs?

Yes. It was definitely the deadline I was given when I applied to MA programs (which are almost always funded in my discipline).

Yes. It was definitely the deadline I was given when I applied to MA programs (which are almost always funded in my discipline).

Ah ok. I had never heard of it applying to MA programs, as there are more unfunded then funded MAs.

Two Questions:

Thanks

You could just send them an email (or call them) and ask. It isn't unreasonable for you to want to know when you should expect to receive your formal offer and when you need to inform them of your decision.

I received a PhD acceptance (with fellowship) via informal email from my proposed supervisor on March 6th, received the paper letter in the mail on March 12th, and was asked to reply whether I would accept or not no later than March 13th. I called and spoke to the administrative assistant to ask if I could have an extension, because I have only heard from three of my five schools, and she said I could let them know in a week. But this seems a bit rushed to me. Is this an attempt at this school to secure students as quickly as possible? I also thought that I would have until April 15th.

I received a PhD acceptance (with fellowship) via informal email from my proposed supervisor on March 6th, received the paper letter in the mail on March 12th, and was asked to reply whether I would accept or not no later than March 13th. I called and spoke to the administrative assistant to ask if I could have an extension, because I have only heard from three of my five schools, and she said I could let them know in a week. But this seems a bit rushed to me. Is this an attempt at this school to secure students as quickly as possible? I also thought that I would have until April 15th.

It's probably out of courtesy for those on the waitlist. If you tell them April 15th that you decline their offer, you just screwed over a whole lot of people who are waiting for the spot you rejected and probably felt compelled to accept another spot someplace else, as well as the program who is trying to fill these spots.

Yeah, can you tell I'm a waitlister who is frustrated by all the dithering? I know it's hard for everyone. You are waiting to hear from other schools who may be waiting to hear from other students before they let you know and so on and so on. I really think that a minor revision to the system is in order to make waitlisting a viable situation for both applicants and grad schools. There should be a first string and second string deadline to expedite this process.

It's probably out of courtesy for those on the waitlist. If you tell them April 15th that you decline their offer, you just screwed over a whole lot of people who are waiting for the spot you rejected and probably felt compelled to accept another spot someplace else, as well as the program who is trying to fill these spots.

Yeah, can you tell I'm a waitlister who is frustrated by all the dithering? I know it's hard for everyone. You are waiting to hear from other schools who may be waiting to hear from other students before they let you know and so on and so on. I really think that a minor revision to the system is in order to make waitlisting a viable situation for both applicants and grad schools. There should be a first string and second string deadline to expedite this process.

As a fellow waitlister, I agree that the entire system is completely frustrating. I can't be excited about an offer of admission or make plans to move to a new city, but I also can't start mourning a rejection and move on. I hate limbo.

I think that schools should agree to notify everyone by March 1, and agree not to ask for a final answer until April 15. This would give admitted students a month and a half to decide on ALL of their potential offers, visit, and turn down anyone they wouldn't be interested in. Of course, this wouldn't help someone who was waitlisted in one program and accepted to another, but maybe people with multiple offers + waitlist would decline all but one + waitlist, which would certainly help.

• 4 weeks later...

i agree with most of the last few posts. the process is great if you're in the first or second round of admissions offers, but below that, it can be hell.

i know a person who is still holding onto 6 offers and has made it clear he will decide on april 15, because "he can." no courtesy or consideration of others whatsoever. i'm almost 100% sure he could decline at least 2-3 of the schools to make the process go smoother for everyone. i can't imagine that his heart is torn equally between all six schools. i'm guessing this is what holds things up and screws over the waitlisted.

sorry for venting but people like that really upset me.

lol waiting until April 15th is a bit extreme, but some are waiting for funding offers from the remaining schools. #5 out of 6 with special fellowship can triumph over #1-3 out of 6 without comparable funding.

But I totally understand the feeling of being wl-ed, cuz I'm also wl-ed! :roll:

I plan to let go all offers but my top 2 choices by April 11-12th, so ppl can hear back by 13-14th (I am pretty sure or hope that grad adcom will be on the stand by with edited drafts that only need a single click.

I agree with those who say there should be a deadline for schools to make offers and then a month or so for students to decide. That really would make a lot of sense, not just for those waitlisted, but for people who are pretty sure about going to one place only to receive a late offer that throws a wrench in things (albeit, a fortunate wrench).

For those of you on waitlists who are angry at people for waiting until the last moment, I'd offer that most aren't doing this simply because they can. I am weighing a couple offers and waiting until the end because of factors out of my control or the school's control (my spouse is waiting on job offers from both locations). I imagine this is a fairly common thing, particularly for aspiring PhD students who are more likely to have spouses, children, less of an ability to pick up and move anywhere, etc.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use