"Let me make a phone call for you..."

eponine997

This might make more sense with context but I will spare you all the long convoluted back story.  The chair of my MA program (whom I'm working with for the first time this term) heard I was waitlisted at a certain program (my #5 after rejection from my top 4).   For that application, my advisor submitted a LoR two weeks after the deadline (which some programs are okay with, I guess) so my application was incomplete until that time.  They sent their admission offers out literally the day before he submitted the letter.  That was almost a month ago, the wait list email came this week but said I was unlikely to know for sure until "mid- to late-April."  

My current program chair is particularly sympathetic because of the bad run of luck I've had in my current program (everyone in my subfield go on leave during the same year I'm writing my thesis, lack of grad course offerings, etc.).  She says "I can call them for you" and explain extenuating circumstances/give an endorsement/additional recommendation... 

I honestly don't know if this would change anything.  Ultimately, if there is no funding, a phone call is unlikely to make it appear (they won't admit me/I wouldn't attend without it).  In theory it could move me further up the waiting list... or it could make me look like that kid who runs to mommy and daddy to get what she wants when things don't go her way.  Also, if I end up declining the offer anyway (which is still a possibility), I will feel pretty bad if someone made a call on my behalf.  

I've heard of recommenders calling POI's on behalf of applicants, but never really something like this.  Would I be a total schmuck for letting her do this?  Thoughts?  

(I guess I still managed to make that long and convoluted) 

Would you only decline the offer if there was no funding or is there more to the story? Would your school even admit you without funding? A lot of PhDs don't admit unless there is funding. I would definitely let her call as long as she doesn't say something like "so and so begged me to call you and find out what was going on" which would be completely unprofessional and unlikely. I think it would help move you up on the wait list. Worst case scenario: you decline the eventual offer and the person underneath you would get the spot. At this point, I think it would be worth a try to get into your #5 program. Just my $0.02.

I struggled with something similar just a week or so ago.

If you're worried about her phone call reflecting poorly on you (which was my concern, in my own case), you might just express that to her. You could put it as a question so that it doesn't seem ungrateful. Like, "Do you think there's any chance that a phone call would make me appear desperate or needy to the admissions committee?" And maybe she's had some experience with this in the past that might alleviate your fears. Can't hurt to ask!

Also, in the same conversation, you could simply ask her if she'd be willing to outright TELL the committee, "Listen, I want it on record that the applicant did not ask me to place this call. She doesn't even know that I am. I just personally feel strongly enough about her that I wanted to give my added recommendation." If she said something like that, chances are pretty slim it would reflect badly on you. The WORST case scenario would be that it would reflect badly on her. But I doubt even that.

I wouldn't worry about whether you'll end up accepting or rejecting the offer, though. You cross that bridge when you get to it. For now, you want to give yourself as many options as possible. Even if she does make the phone call, and even if you get in and then ultimately deny admission, you would be able to speak with your professor and do damage control. You could just kindly explain, or even fabricate, a reason as to why you denied their offer. She sounds like a cool, empathetic person, and if that's the case, she is likely to be understanding of whatever decision you end up making. At least that's my thinking. Good luck!