How big is your discipline's package?

Guest dreamgoat

Guest dettociao
I get health insurance on top of my 28k stipend, plus a $1000 one time moving expense fund. I'm in Cell bio... posted earlier. That's a raw deal for you guys in the humanities...

Guest Badger

$35,000 for the first year, then a rapid plunge to $20,000 by the third year (I have a one-year fellowship and a two-year fellowship, plus RA for four years). Health insurance is included. This is in L.A., and I'm in the geosciences. No word on the BMW yet.

My range is 13,000 to 28,000. Throw out the outlier and it's 20,000 to 28,000. The 13,000 and 20,000 offers are in low COL places, while the 20,000+ range is for expensive cities. These are for PhD geosciences programs and health insurance, fees, etc. are included in all but one case.

Guest that dude over there

Computational biomedical sciences -- I'm looking at 21k -25k fellowships, with health insurance and tuition covered.

Math Ph.D programs:

UC Davis: $20k first year fellowship, followed by $1600/month TA. They would have thrown in a laptop computer. Not sure about make/model.

UCSD: $17k first year on 37% TA and partial fellowship, followed by $1700/month TA. Health insurance and all fees would have been covered.

U Maryland in College Park: $15k fellowship for first two years followed by scaled TA (depends on experience I think) between roughly $13k and $16k/year. I would have had to pay about $1k fees, and some undisclosed amount for insurance.

Ohio State University: $21k first year fellowship, $18k second year fellowship, and then $1600/month TA. I think the fellowships covered fees. Not sure about insurance, or fees when on TA.

U Wisconsin in Madison: $11k - $14k TA. Will climb to $12.5k - $15k after new contract goes through. I have to pay $666/year fees and $10-$20/month for insurance.

Guest guest21

Some people make it explicit, but some people are not saying exactly what their stipend is for.

For example, I'm getting a first year TA at 1500/month for 9 months, plus a summer RA at 3300/month. From year 2 onward, its a 9-month RA at 1800/month plus summer RA at 3500/month. They pay part of my health insurance...my contribution will be about 200$/year. I'll also have to pay some extra in fees amounting to about $1000/year.

Should I say I have a $13500 first year package? That would just be for the 9 months. Or a $21k package, which would include summer?

Anyway, that's what I got...it's for physics at a public school (top 20 but not top 10).

Guest guest

I'm in psych and my offers ranged from $15,000 + summer funding to $20,000. Most offered health insurance, some did not.

Guest guest

Mechanical Engineering program at Stanford offers $27,500 with health insurance

ME program at Berkeley offers $18,500 with health insurance

not much competition there...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest anonimous

To join the discussion, the Poli Sci PhD stipends I was offered ranged from $13500 to $15000 (+$1000-1500 for summer). One MA program offered $11000 (that was a fellowship, too!). Health insurance packages and additional fees varied. I must also mention that I applied to mainly large public schools with quite a bit of TA-ing involved.

• 1 year later...

Hm, looks like no one's posted in this thread for a bit. At any rate, here are the specs for MSU:

UDF and UEF recipients beginning study in 2008-2009 will receive a 12-month stipend of $24,000 plus health insurance. In addition, tuition and related fees will be waived within some limits. Fellows must maintain strong academic performance and make normal progress toward their degrees.

Doctoral students receive five years of support. The first and fifth years are funded by the Graduate School, with no teaching or research service required of the student. During the second, third, and fourth years of fellowship support, students receive a departmental assistantship that may require them to assist in research and/or teaching.

For the Rhetoric and Writing program, years 2-4 require teaching one class per semester. Not bad at all I'd say.

I'm in a Master's program for fisheries. I get about $18k a year plus a tuition waver for 9 grad credits. I get paid full-time in the summer and half-time during the school year. My pay will increase after I get my grad study plan and thesis proposal in and have enough credits to be close to graduating.

I got a package for history that was over 30k a year and included summer research grants for the first three years. I think it depends on your school and program and how much money they were given for the year.