"Checking Website" Question

ragtime

I noticed a lot of posters in the results forum say they 'checked the school's website' and found their results there. What does that mean, where are they looking? Where do you check on the school's website for results if you aren't a current student and therefore don't have an account through the school? 

I've been checking the NYU applicant portal through which I submitted my completed package back in December.  It's said "Appication Submitted" since the deadline.  I guess I'm hoping I'll log in and see "Application Accepted" or "Congratulations"...I think at this point, 4 days before the nofication dealine, people are just nervously checking schools websites, email (to include Spam folders), and cruising forums like this for any insight or information.   

I suppose that it might depend on the program/school but in general you can continue to log in to the website that you completed an application on, and in differing locations on that page there may/may not be decision info. A few of my programs send out admissions info via snail main only. Also, on one of my apps it took me 2-3 days after when everyone else in my program got their rejections to get mine for whatever reason. In any case, that's likely where others are looking.

Some schools have an online application. And, then after submitting, let you go back to that online application and log in and can see a different status on the decision, such as 'submitted' to show things are all in paperwork wise, then like one of mine now says 'awaiting application decision' to say they are still thinking and at some point it will chance to 'decision made' and then show admitted or rejected. 

Overall, some schools let you log into your electronic app and can see updates and then this is where they will say their decision.