Faculty perspectives

BFB

Hello, thanks a lot for this great thread. I'm currently doing an MA at a decent but not top PoliSci program, and I'm planning to apply for Fall2014. One of my concerns is that I have two largely unrelated areas of research interest: one in IR (A) and the other in CP ( B ). I've been taking IR and method courses to write a thesis in A, and I'm wondering whether I should mention my interest in B at all while applying for PhD programs. Though I haven't done any graduate level work in B, it is the topic of my undergrad thesis, and I have the language skills for B.

The risk of including both A and B in my SOP is obvious. But I'm afraid that only focusing on one area in IR (A) may seem narrow. In addition, I will be able take one or two courses in Fall2013, so it will be either A (+ a method course) or B (+ a method course). So my questions is essentially about balancing the depth and breadth of coursework, and balancing the depth and breadth of research interests in SOP.

Many thanks!

Edited by gradcafe26

Hello, thanks a lot for this great thread. I'm currently doing an MA at a decent but not top PoliSci program, and I'm planning to apply for Fall2014. One of my concerns is that I have two largely unrelated areas of research interest: one in IR (A) and the other in CP ( B ). I've been taking IR and method courses to write a thesis in A, and I'm wondering whether I should mention my interest in B at all while applying for PhD programs. Though I haven't done any graduate level work in B, it is the topic of my undergrad thesis, and I have the language skills for B.

The risk of including both A and B in my SOP is obvious. But I'm afraid that only focusing on one area in IR (A) may seem narrow. In addition, I will be able take one or two courses in Fall2013, so it will be either A (+ a method course) or B (+ a method course). So my questions is essentially about balancing the depth and breadth of coursework, and balancing the depth and breadth of research interests in SOP.

Many thanks!

I'd say you should mention your interest in IR and CP if you're applying to places that are a good fit for your combined IR/CP interests, and not mention it otherwise.

I'd also say that you should only apply to places that are a good fit for your combined IR/CP interests.  ^_^

If you are going to do a MA you should do it in the US if you plan to eventually complete your PhD here. To be frank, there's not a lot of respect for foreign degrees in the US (they are perceived as less rigorous), even those from elite UK institutions. The professors writing your letters might be more recognizable. Also, its also bound to be cheaper, especially when you consider the cost of living in London.

Just wrapping up my third committee service, and decided to jump in to say +100 to this one. It is very difficult to assess the quality of most non-US institutions, and there are sometimes concerns with academic integrity. I have, however, seen people be very successful taking the American MA route, demonstrating that they can do rigorous work and getting quality letters along the way.

Just wrapping up my third committee service, and decided to jump in to say +100 to this one. It is very difficult to assess the quality of most non-US institutions, and there are sometimes concerns with academic integrity. I have, however, seen people be very successful taking the American MA route, demonstrating that they can do rigorous work and getting quality letters along the way.

I did a 2 year program (1 year in a UK institution and another in the US). The UK institution was by far more rigorous. The US program barely touched on other theories. Its main focus was on the varieties of liberalism and realism! I hope committees do not discriminate against applicants who have lower grades from top UK universities because I don't think a one year program can truly reflect a students intelligence. I have the US GPA to show that I can do MA level work, but I can't imagine what those with just a UK MA are going through because I wouldn't be surprised if most committees cannot comprehend the UK grading system and therefore reject/waitlist very intelligent people.  

Thanks for the advice BFB :) In other words, I don't necessarily need to stick to one central theme in the personal statement? Then the difficult task would be allocating the limited space in the statement to two areas of research interest.

I'd say you should mention your interest in IR and CP if you're applying to places that are a good fit for your combined IR/CP interests, and not mention it otherwise.

I'd also say that you should only apply to places that are a good fit for your combined IR/CP interests.  ^_^

Edited by gradcafe26

Say I get into the Columbia MA program, how much would that help in future applications (and secure funding)? My grades are good, but my undergrad institution is far from the same level as Columbia.  How important is prestige?

I would consider (depending on your interests and obviously whether you are a quanty type) Columbia's program in quantitative methods in social science.  From another user who did the program, it sounds like they have better advising (v. an MA in PS where you would likely take a back seat to PhD students) and they set up (most) students with RA positions where they are paid through the program rather than through the PI's grant.  It will ALWAYS matter how well you do in any such program but fresh letters of rec might help (and you could probably better develop those relationships in the QMSS program while still taking poli sci electives).  

In other words, I don't necessarily need to stick to one central theme in the personal statement? Then the difficult task would be allocating the limited space in the statement to two areas of research interest.

Well, the theme could be your interest in (say) the intersection of development and interstate war... which would situate you well to study both with development people and conflict people. My point is, write about whatever geeks you out. Your admissions committees will say, "Hm, that's a CP/IR mix." We've had a fair number of files handed from CP to IR or vice-versa.

That makes sense, thanks!

Well, the theme could be your interest in (say) the intersection of development and interstate war... which would situate you well to study both with development people and conflict people. My point is, write about whatever geeks you out. Your admissions committees will say, "Hm, that's a CP/IR mix." We've had a fair number of files handed from CP to IR or vice-versa.

Hi faculty! 

What are your suggestions for attire during a recruitment visit? I was leaning towards more casual, but some people are suggesting dress shirts, dress pants, etc. Thoughts??? 

What are your suggestions for attire during a recruitment visit? I was leaning towards more casual, but some people are suggesting dress shirts, dress pants, etc. Thoughts??? 

I doubt it matters much. You don't want to wear a suit and be That Person, or show up looking like a hobo (save that for when you're a professor), but otherwise, you'll be fine.

I have a question for the faculty. Is it common practice for POI's to contact students after admittance? The school I want to go to has been quite cold in response to my emails and no one has reached out and contacted me, whereas others have been trying to "woo" me. Does this show a lack of interest in me?

I have a question for the faculty. Is it common practice for POI's to contact students after admittance? The school I want to go to has been quite cold in response to my emails and no one has reached out and contacted me, whereas others have been trying to "woo" me. Does this show a lack of interest in me?

Or a lack of savvy, or some combination of the two. It's hard to say exactly what, though.

We have members of the Admissions Committee, who are most familiar with the files, call students, and I invite everyone to chat as well, though if you don't take me up on the invitation, I don't nag you. We don't generally ask your POIs. I'm not sure why; the best answer I can give is that the people who selected your file in the first place are already geeked about it, so they're very willing to call—in irfannooruddin's case, I probably couldn't stop him if I tried.

Cold in response to your emails... I hesitate to speculate, but that's not the foot I'd want us to be putting forward. That's the most jarring part of what you write: they respond to an email and in so doing are off-putting to you?

Or a lack of savvy, or some combination of the two. It's hard to say exactly what, though.

We have members of the Admissions Committee, who are most familiar with the files, call students, and I invite everyone to chat as well, though if you don't take me up on the invitation, I don't nag you. We don't generally ask your POIs. I'm not sure why; the best answer I can give is that the people who selected your file in the first place are already geeked about it, so they're very willing to call—in irfannooruddin's case, I probably couldn't stop him if I tried.

Cold in response to your emails... I hesitate to speculate, but that's not the foot I'd want us to be putting forward. That's the most jarring part of what you write: they respond to an email and in so doing are off-putting to you?

I guess when you see one institution really putting their best foot forward and doing skype calls, talking about research synergies, weekly emails, etc. Its kind of different from conducting "business as usual." For a program on level of OSU (or Gtown if the other prof. wants to join in), do you feel like you need to "woo" students, or do you feel like your website/handbook/reputation tells prospective's enough about it and its their job to choose you?

It's the classic case of having a girl chase you compared to you chasing the girl

If you may indulge me, I have a question regarding SOPs.  My *ideal* primary reserach interest is fairly interdisciplinary due to my interdisciplinary research background, and therefore appears on its face to not really fit well with any of the faculty in my subfield at the schools that I want to attend.  I consider this probably to be one big unknown in my application that has held me back from admissions in the past cycle, but when I bring up the topic of potentially changing my primary research interest for the SOP with all of my advisors, they tell me to not change it for the sake of admissions.  Would you agree with my advisors, or should I perhaps alter my interests so that I appear to be more in line with what faculty are currently researching in the departments?  I realize the importance of "fit", but I have talked with professors at a couple of the schools that I submitted to who were not on the admissions committee and they have seemed open and interested by my research interest, even if its one that they do not have the most amount of knowledge in.

Edited by Doorkeeper

For a program on level of OSU (or Gtown if the other prof. wants to join in), do you feel like you need to "woo" students, or do you feel like your website/handbook/reputation tells prospective's enough about it and its their job to choose you?

I don't really know that it's wooing, per se. Contacting people is just a win-win. You get a sense of who we are and the promise that we see in your research agenda, and we often get a better sense of what your concerns are and where you stand so that, if we can address questions, we will.

If you may indulge me, I have a question regarding SOPs.  My *ideal* primary reserach interest is fairly interdisciplinary due to my interdisciplinary research background, and therefore appears on its face to not really fit well with any of the faculty in my subfield at the schools that I want to attend.  I consider this probably to be one big unknown in my application that has held me back from admissions in the past cycle, but when I bring up the topic of potentially changing my primary research interest for the SOP with all of my advisors, they tell me to not change it for the sake of admissions.  Would you agree with my advisors, or should I perhaps alter my interests so that I appear to be more in line with what faculty are currently researching in the departments?  I realize the importance of "fit", but I have talked with professors at a couple of the schools that I submitted to who were not on the admissions committee and they have seemed open and interested by my research interest, even if its one that they do not have the most amount of knowledge in.

I'm on board with your advisors. If a program doesn't think it's capable of training you to do what you really want to do, you should respect their judgment.

I don't really know that it's wooing, per se. Contacting people is just a win-win. You get a sense of who we are and the promise that we see in your research agenda, and we often get a better sense of what your concerns are and where you stand so that, if we can address questions, we will.

This makes much sense.

I'd also want to add that I think it can make all the difference in the world (especially if the prospective student is attempting to make a choice) if "wooing" takes place or not. A department that actively encourages their faculty/students to get in touch and offer prospective students to answer questions about the program/town is going to be looked upon much more favourably than a department that doesn't.

Not to pester you all too much, but I thought I would post this graduate school advice that was posted on the forum by another (in this case anonymous) faculty member, in case you would like to give any thoughts in response to it. I think it's been pretty influential on many of the people using this forum as they look to choose between graduate programs.

Not to pester you all too much, but I thought I would post this graduate school advice that was posted on the forum by another (in this case anonymous) faculty member, in case you would like to give any thoughts in response to it. I think it's been pretty influential on many of the people using this forum as they look to choose between graduate programs.

Seconded, but specifically with regard to the point about whether its worth attending if you cannot attend a top 25 program.  BFB, you've mentioned how fit should ultimately be more important than rank, but to what extend?  

Seconded, but specifically with regard to the point about whether its worth attending if you cannot attend a top 25 program.  BFB, you've mentioned how fit should ultimately be more important than rank, but to what extend?  

Mm, I think "Don't bother going to a non-top-25 program" is just wrong. It's true that top programs fill a disproportionate number of the academic job slots out there, but as the author points out, those programs also produce a large percentage of people who don't finish and/or end up heading to the private sector. I don't think focusing on a concrete number will be very useful to you. I think you're better off asking for a complete list of placements in the last ten years and asking yourself how comfortable you'd be with a random draw from that pack. If the answer is "Not comfortable enough to devote six or seven years to it," do something else. For you, that line might be at 50, 25, or 10... or you might be interested in 15 but not in 12.

As to not going somewhere because of a specific faculty member: That sounds to me like committing suicide for fear of death. Yes, we move around a bit. Yes, people don't get tenure. But you can move too: we get a handful of applications from students at other institutions whose mentors have left or whose circumstances have changed and who would rather continue their program with us.

The main exception here is if you're trying to choose one very top school over another because an advanced junior faculty member fits your interests really well. The very top schools have a way of thinking, "We don't need to retain this person; if s/he does well after leaving here, we'll just hire him/her back." (I actually heard this, as a junior faculty member at Harvard. Started sending out job applications not long afterward.) Other than that, though, life's too short to try to second-guess where faculty will be a few years from now. If you've got concerns about a particular person, ask for a confidential answer to the question of whether they're likely to leave soon. I've done this when interviewing for faculty jobs, and the results were pretty surprising. In one case, I basically got, "As soon as I get an offer from one of the following x universities, I'm out of here," while another faculty member just said, "I'm going to die here."

Edited by BFB

But you can move too: we get a handful of applications from students at other institutions whose mentors have left or whose circumstances have changed and who would rather continue their program with us.

Do you treat them as transfers or are they in the same applicant pool as all the other applicants?  Do they usually communicate why they are leaving in their SOP?

Do you treat them as transfers or are they in the same applicant pool as all the other applicants?  Do they usually communicate why they are leaving in their SOP?

There's absolutely no difference in terms of the application process. A file is a file is a file. The only difference is that they petition the Graduate Studies Committee for transfer credit where applicable.

And yes, if people are looking to transfer, they generally tell us why in their SOP.

Faculty: How likely is your department to defer admission for something like Fulbright? I've heard very different responses from different faculty members, sometimes in the same schools.

I had a Harvard faculty member tell me "At Harvard, Fulbright's useless"; he meant that they do not make special considerations for Fulbright nominees who are applying for their PhD program.

On the other hand, there are other programs who do notice when applicants already have a scholarship like Fulbright "in the bag". Sometimes, Fulbright placement officers have contacts in these universities through which they can help your application stand out --or at least that's what they told me.

Edited by jose42