MPA / MPP Folk

locura81

Meridion, I have been living by myself at UGA and will probably just continue that. I do virtually all of my studying/research at home so I'm big on having the place to myself. Perhaps you can email someone in the PA dept at UNC after Apr 15 to get contact info for incoming first year students & see if any are looking for roommates? From what I've been looking at, seems like normal 1 bdr places go for $600-$750 in/around Chapel Hill. 2 bdrs are probably only a couple hundred more.

I did hear from students in the health policy dept that I should plan to ride the bus to campus b/c traffic is a mess & parking permits are expensive, so you may want to keep proximity to a bus stop in mind when selecting an apt.

Guest nomadjbc

I've followed this thread for a while and am now asking for anyone's expertise. I've narrowed down my choices to between USC and Maxwell. I got full tuition from both and a graduate assistantship at Syracuse. I want to focus on community and urban redevelopment and USC (with its amazing planning program) seems to have the edge for fitting my needs. Syracuse's specializations don't exactly fit me, but I know many of their alumni go into city management and development. Also, Maxwell has the reputation and allows me to finish in a year to get out into the job market. But on the other hand, I will have limited internship experience before joining the workforce, and a GA on top of my studies could really create time-management issues. I've been trying to create a pros and cons list, but I'm really struggling. Any input would be GREATLY valued, especially if you are considering attending Maxwell. I'm going to Syracuse in two weeks and going to the Dean's Merit Scholars reception at USC on the 7th, but I have to commit to one or the other by the 15th. What are your thoughts on submitting two deposits?

Thanks... john

Guest klf214

Hi there:

As locura81 knows, I did my undergrad at the School of Policy, Planning, and Development at USC. If you're interested in community development, redevelopment, etc GO TO USC--actually RUN! haha You'll be able to take classes with planning students and have access to many internships/jobs with cities, non-profits, etc in LA that focus on these issues. And you'll have plenty of time to work and take classes since most classes are offered in the late afternoon/evening. USC is GREAT for city management, planning, urban policy, etc and I don't think you can go wrong. Let me know if you have any questions. Both my husband and I graduated from SPPD and I would have applied to the MPP program but decided that I would benefit more from going to a different school for graduate studies.

Nomad, I don't know anything about the USC program, but as someone who went straight through from undergrad to MPA I would suggest doing a two year program if you don't have a significant amount of work experience yet, all else equal. I had done 3 internships in undergrad (federal, local, non-profit). I feel that the 2 year program at UGA (and my guess is that 2 years anywhere) gave me flexibility in coursework, I had a great internship last summer, I had more time to figure out where I wanted to go/what I wanted to do after graduation, more time to make connections & network, etc.

Hurrying onto the job market is not always a good thing. Though, of course, finances may be something to consider as well. But if you've got tuition remission at both places, I say look hard at the 2 year program, especially given all the good things klf has said about it.

My guess is that after you visit USC on the 7th, having already visited SU, you will just "know" which school you belong at. Biding your time by giving two deposits is probably not a good option, not the least b/c the field of PA/city management is not all that big & putting down 2 deposits is seen as being very bad form so to speak. Better to not burn any bridges before your career even starts.

Good luck- it's great to have a choice like that!

So what is the concensus on this board....

Is it better to pay for prestige, or choose a program that is affordable (or free) ? (Suitability, and other factors aside)

Is it really worth paying $50,000 for public policy degree? It's not a law degree, where the salary will pay off the debt.

Is there a place for elitism in public policy?

It seems like most people are very prestige focused on these discussion boards... I'm just trying to find out why.

***P.S. I can't wait until USNEWS is back.

Is it better to pay for prestige, or choose a program that is affordable (or free) ? (Suitability, and other factors aside)

Is it really worth paying $50,000 for public policy degree? It's not a law degree, where the salary will pay off the debt.

It seems like most people are very prestige focused on these discussion boards... I'm just trying to find out why.

Is it better to pay for prestige or choose a program that is affordable(or free)? (Suitability, and other factors aside)

Guest klf214

I personally don't think it's a problem to have $50,000 in debt after graduating with a MPP. Depending on what you want to do, you can make $60k easily in the private sector or high $40k for the feds. Over time your salary will increase. My husband works for the County of Los Angeles and already makes high 50's with just a B.S. It all depends on whether the education is worth it to you. For me it is, but I don't plan to work in the non-profit sector after I graduate--been there, done that and the pay is horrible.

Guest LS529

latoya724- I'm trying to figure that out too. To hear some people on these types of message boards talk, it's as if one shouldn't go to grad school at all if not to a top-tier school. I'm starting to wonder if it really makes that much difference which MPP program I choose, especially since I think I'd like to continue on and work toward a Ph.D. But I can't help but wonder... if I choose school x (with great funding), will I miss out on great opportunities/education at school y (very prestigious, but with no funding)?

I take it you’re in the same dilemma?

Guest klf214

The NYU accepted student day is April 6. Have you checked your online application to see if a decision has been made? I never got an email telling me I was accepted, just a letter in the mail and the online notification.

Guest klf214

No, I don't think I'm going there, although their offer was very generous. I just can't stomache the cost of living and living in NYC seems very intimidating. It seems like a great program, especially if you'd like to stay in the NY area. Good luck to you!! Keep us posted!!

Guest klf214

Waitlisted at Ford. Very nice email though, made it sound as if they want me to get in, but need to wait on class size. Said they would let me know by mid-May and I can send in any additional materials to aide my "case."

I haven't visited Michigan, although I did for undergrad. Not sure if I should hold out. So confused now!!

I think that ideally, you try to balance $ and prestige. If you can't do that (i.e. your choice is pay full-freight at a great program or go for free to a lower-ranked one), you have to consider your career goals & try to figure out how much having a degree from a top program would help you. Also, see how closely ranked the 2 programs are. For ex. I would not pay to go to Syracuse MPA when I could go to a good but not top-tier school for free. But perhaps I would've paid for SU over going to a low rated school. Some people have no problem taking on debt & more power to them.

Another thing to consider: would you rather be a "superstar" at a mid- or lower-ranked school, or just a "face in the crowd" at a top-rated school. If you are paying full-tuition at a top-rated school, you will probably start out as just a face in the crowd (especially if it is a big program). This means that you may not get all the networking opportunities that your prestigous school is supposed to offer to you and that may in turn impact your ability to pay off the loans quickly.

This is more or less how my decision calculus broke down 2 years ago for MPA/MPP:

Quality of education/prestige

Finances

Chance to do research

Coursework (i.e. how much policy would I get)

Good luck to all in deciding. I'm sure wherever y'all end up will be a good fit for you. No program is perfect!

I'm in a situation where I've been accepted to Johns Hopkins MPP(w/partial scholarship), American MPP (no money), and UDelaware MPA (full tuition scholarship+stipend).

In my case, Delaware has my concentration in Educational Policy, and faculty & research centers in my area. I am required to do an assistantship (we do research for the state), and an internship. I love my program, I love my school (it's my alma mater), and its actually best suited for my learning style.

It just bothers me that people in this board are so focused on prestige and money. People make it seem that if you don't go to certain schools, you won't get a decent job. I don't come from money, so taking on a huge debt will seriously put a dent in my starting salary. Also, I just don't think these elitist attitudes belong in public policy. People on this board don't really discuss, what they hope to do with the degree. They only discuss what the degree will do for them. It is because of these attitudes, that Princeton is under that lawsuit from benefactors- too many people have hidden agendas. Of course, I want to make a decent salary-no one wants to be poor. But on that same note, in public policy that should not be your main impetus.

Guest sivan2004

I heard yesterday that I'm waitlisted at Michigan's MPP. Does anyone know much about the movement on such waitlists?

Guest LS529

Latoya- It feels really nice to know someone else views this the same way I do. I have a lot of debt from undergrad, so I think in my case it is probably wise to go with a less prestigious program but be able to make ends meet without taking out more loans. I've always heard great things about Johns Hopkins MPP- a professor of mine suggested I apply there, but for some reason I didn't. I've also heard UDelaware's program is really good (I applied to their MA program), but it sounds like you know all about Delaware! =) Do you (or anyone else here) know anything about the Rutgers MPP program? I've never seen anyone post anything about it. I think it's probably where I'll go, mostly due to $, but it seems like a good program, especially for urban policy- what I want to focus in. Thanks, and good luck to everyone in their decision making!

LS529-

I went to Rutgers as an undergrad and of course didn't want to go when applying to colleges. I'm from NJ and nobody wants to go to there state school (not that Rutgers isn't a fine school-we just tend to look beyond what is in our own backyard) We all had elaborate dreams to go elsewhere and spend tons of money. I ended up loving it there and in hindsight wouldn't have done it differently. And now I, unlike my colleagues, do not have a tremendous debt burden to carry. I think a Rutgers MPP is a fantastic idea (is this with the Bloustein school or do they have a similar program in Newark) and if anything you are close to NYC. Yeah yeah people make fun of Jersey but you will come away loving the state and the school.

Guest LS592

lildebbie- Thanks for your input! I know what you mean about state schools... I'm from Indiana, and my main college goal was to get out of there. =) Yes, the program is with the Bloustein school... thanks again!