Making ends meet until fall

Fifster

Ok, so here's a conundrum.

I went to a top liberal arts college, worked for a few years in academic administration after graduating, and then went on to do an MA in a humanities subject at an Ivy.  The MA was intended to help me decide if I wanted to do a PhD, and after seeing the dismal career prospects and stress of TT jobs and such in that field, I decided that it probably wasn't worth it.  After asking a lot of people for advice, I decided that I would be better suited to a position in academic librarianship, so I applied for MLIS programs to begin in fall 2013. I now have 3/3 acceptances, and I'm waiting on funding information to help make my decision.  Sounds great, right?

Well, the big question is...what the heck do I do until the fall?  While I've had real jobs (well, one real job anyway), pretty much all of the rest of my experience has come from positions during undergrad or grad school, and there's not exactly much demand for humanities researchers in the private sector.  Last fall, I moved back in with my parents, and they've been generous enough that I don't have any huge concerns about food and shelter, but I still would like some spending money and something to help me get on my feet wherever I end up going to library school.

After I moved back home, I spent a few months applying for administrative-type jobs similar to my previous job at local universities.  I had several interviews, but no offers.  At this point, though, as the fall gets closer, I feel increasingly uneasy applying to jobs like those, especially since I more or less have to hide that I'm leaving to get another degree in the fall.  I've also applied for a few jobs at local libraries, and will continue to do so as they pop up, but, as of yet, no luck.

What I'd really like is a boring, minimum wage job at a bookstore or something...but not only do I have no experience in that area and no real-world knowledge about how to get such a job, I also fear that any hiring manager would take one look at me, see my Ivy MA, and scream, "Overqualified!"  I know that many career websites have recommended leaving advanced degrees off of a resume if they're irrelevant, but I have real ethical qualms with that.  Besides, most of that advice seems geared towards people who are pursuing real "careers."  I just want a (temporary) job.

I'm planning on bringing some applications to some bookstores soon, but I wonder if anyone has any advice about presenting my credentials in the best light?  For that matter, while I'm targeting bookstores simply because they seem like a plausible place to work, where else should I be looking?  I check Craigslist various local non-profit job boards, as well as simplyhired and indeed, but it really seems difficult to find anything that I could plausibly do until then.

O Internet, what are your thoughts?

If you're at all suited to it, you might look at babysitting/nanny work for the summer.  Sales jobs (and bookstore gigs in particular) can be surprisingly competitive, and yes your MA will have most employers deeply leery of hiring you for entry level work.  Try looking for work that's already seasonal, like with a summer camp/school program, and mention your intentions in your cover letter.  You may or may not find something, but learning to apply to, and interview for, non-academic jobs is a skill worth having in itself. 

Is there a local temp agency? That would be my first stop. In addition to the ideas above, you could look for housecleaning jobs, by posting ads/looking for jobs like this on websites like craigslist and care.com.er post a

First, if you haven't already done so, flip your resume so your work experience is on top and your education is last. Another suggestion is a temp agency. Only go to the big reputable ones in your area. They are always looking for educated, literate, independent workers. I wouldnot recommend telling them of your admission to grad school. But under no circumstance should you accept a contract that runs through your start date. Really big law firms also hire librarians. Top executive search firms sometimes hire contract researchers. Good luck.

I mean, Barnes and Noble usually hires cafe workers with little experience. Just don't tell them you are going to school in the fall. Apple store, etc. Retail. Or a cafe, maybe there are a few locally. Honestly, I'd try to perhaps leave the super advanced degrees off. 

I'll third the temp agency thing. I'd say it's perfectly acceptable to tell them you'll be leaving, though. I've done it before when preparing to move. They're there to supply temporary help. Idk what area you're in, but I've had decent luck with both Robert Half and Kelly Services. It's not always the best job, but it's probably the best bet for you to make decent money. They usually pay well above minimum wage if you're remotely skilled. I'll probably be calling them up myself once the semester ends.

Thanks for all of your advice.  I had "applied" to a couple of temp agencies in the past, by which I mean I filled out their little online forms and never heard a thing from them.  At the time, I was less seriously looking for work and was more interested in finding a (semi-)permanent position, so I never followed up.  I know that it's much better to follow up, appear in person, etc., so I think I'll plan on starting down that road soon.  Thanks!