Lee Kuan Yew School (LKY School), National University of Singapore (NUS)

Thank you, everyone, for your wishes.

I just finished my interview. As same as Nika.T, she asked all about the case unlike what I had read from the last year comments.I think I didn't finish it well enough as I expected. Brave yourself, the interview is coming.

Wish all of you guys get the invitation.

17 hours ago, Nika.T said:

Hello everyone! This thread is so quiet this year...

Thought I would share for those of you who have upcoming interviews or still waiting to hear: I just had my interview for LKY MPP program on Wednesday. Pretty nerve-wracking, but I think I did ok. The questions were all case study-oriented, no questions like "why you chose LKY etc." so you really do need to know the case and understand its main argument and salient points. The interview lasted about 35 minutes in total. I had a professor interview me, and she was perfectly nice and friendly, which was a relief.

Good luck to everyone! Let's keep each other posted on your progress =)

Thanks for sharing! It's good to know what to expect always. Haven't heard anything from them yet so keeping my fingers crossed.

On 2/17/2017 at 2:41 PM, Nika.T said:

@hunny7 My case was about school education in lower-income countries. The questions were mostly asking for analysis of the case and policy suggestions. There was also one quantitative question, very easy, grade school math.

Hello Nika,

My interview is scheduled for March 2nd 2017. Can you suggest me ways as to how better can I prepare for the interview? Thanx in advance.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:40 AM, Thanapoomped said:

Thank you, everyone, for your wishes.

I just finished my interview. As same as Nika.T, she asked all about the case unlike what I had read from the last year comments.I think I didn't finish it well enough as I expected. Brave yourself, the interview is coming.

Wish all of you guys get the invitation.

Dear Thanapoomped, can you share us the topic that you received as case study?

Thanx in advance

11 hours ago, Kochito22 said:

My interview is tomorrow, very nervous.Anyone should please help out on the best way to prepare for the interview. Thanks in advance

All the very best for your interview Kochito. Come out with flying colors. Do share us your experience.

Just finished the interview, it was fairly okay. The Prof is very friendly and nice. She often chips in one or two things to help. Case study is about earthquake of march ,2011 in Japan.

Thanks everyone and hope to meet you in LKYSPP by God's grace.

On 19.02.2017 at 2:01 PM, BharathY said:

Hello Nika,

My interview is scheduled for March 2nd 2017. Can you suggest me ways as to how better can I prepare for the interview? Thanx in advance.

As cliche as it sounds, the interview part is really not that scary, no one is going to deliberately tank you, so there is no reason to be nervous about it. If you are qualified to apply to the program in the first place, you should have no problem with the case study because you won't need any specialized knowledge in order to do well; it's all about critical thinking. Really, the most important thing is paying attention to what you're reading in order to actually retain information in your head. That's why you need confidence because if you're really-really anxious about your interview, chances are you won't be able to focus properly on the case during your half-hour reading time, and you don't want that.

There is one useful exercise for maintaining your critical reading skills and just for memory in general:

1) Open a New Your Times, Foreign Policy, or an Economist article on a topic that you find interesting or relevant to whatever you're prepping for;

2) Read the first paragraph, then close your eyes and formulate its main idea in a single sentence in your head. Was it difficult? Open your eyes and re-read the paragraph to see how accurate your summary was.

3) Read the second (third, fourth etc.) paragraph, and do the same thing.

4) When you finished the whole article, paragraph by paragraph, come up with a 5-sentence summary for the whole thing, then read through the entire article again and see how accurate you were.

5) Rinse, repeat as many times as you need.

17 minutes ago, Nika.T said:

As cliche as it sounds, the interview part is really not that scary, no one is going to deliberately tank you, so there is no reason to be nervous about it. If you are qualified to apply to the program in the first place, you should have no problem with the case study because you won't need any specialized knowledge in order to do well; it's all about critical thinking. Really, the most important thing is paying attention to what you're reading in order to actually retain information in your head. That's why you need confidence because if you're really-really anxious about your interview, chances are you won't be able to focus properly on the case during your half-hour reading time, and you don't want that.

There is one useful exercise for maintaining your critical reading skills and just for memory in general:

1) Open a New Your Times, Foreign Policy, or an Economist article on a topic that you find interesting or relevant to whatever you're prepping for;

2) Read the first paragraph, then close your eyes and formulate its main idea in a single sentence in your head. Was it difficult? Open your eyes and re-read the paragraph to see how accurate your summary was.

4) When you finished the whole article, paragraph by paragraph, come up with a 5-sentence summary for the whole thing, then read through the entire article again and see how accurate you were.

Hai Nika thanq for your kind suggestion.

It's still fairly early in the game, so if you didn't hear anything yet it's not a big deal. Over the last two cycles the interview requests were coming out in batches by the region up until April or even later, and I suspect this year is going to be the same.

Edited by Nika.T
grammar

On 21/2/2560 at 1:24 AM, Nika.T said:

A very great suggestion, bro. I will practice this next year as I don't think I completed it well because of the nervous and being unable to remind what I had read.