Working during grad school

Apologies if there is already a thread on this...if so, please feel free to direct me there!

I am trying to figure out how feasible it will be for me to continue to work during grad school. I currently have a position that I really like and is directly related to my subject matter of interest. They want me to continue working for them on a part-time and flexible basis (aka, not during regular hours/can work when I have the time). Plus, they offer tuition benefits if I meet a certain minimum of hours. And I honestly just think it would be great for resume continuity to continue my work experience during grad school. 

As it becomes apparent to me that I am probably not going to get significant funding from my programs of choice, I'm trying to figure out how many hours per week I could work at my current job while take the "full" course load at various schools. So I'm basically wondering: how rigorous are the course loads? Would it take away from my experience to work in a private sector position while in school? 

The programs I'm particularly interested in hearing about are: Harris MPP, Wagner MPA, GPPI MPP (though I have funding pending there, fingers crossed), and Kennedy (obviously not in yet!). But if anyone has any insight to offer on other programs that's great too, as I'm sure others would appreciate it!

What I've heard anecdotally from friends who've gone through MPP programs, including Harris, is that you can comfortably work 15 to 20 hours per week, and more if you want to and are sufficiently dedicated. At Harris, for example, you take only three courses at a time (though it's on the quarter system and I'm sure compensated for in rigor). 

Do you happen to know what kinds of jobs and what level of pay most grad students in MPP programs get? 

I'm currently working for a company based in Australia.  I lived in Australia for 6 months, and when I left they let me continue doing the job by telecommuting, so I'll be working at least 10-20 hours a week while I'm in school for them.  It's great though, because as long as I get all my work done in a timely manner, my working hours are up to me, so I can just do like 30 mins of work a few times a day so it doesn't seem so hard to fit in.  I'm working a full time job currently on top of the Australian position, so I'm sure it won't be any harder than that.  

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and especially on Harris! I definitely will be asking this at admit days--ideally I'd work more like 20 hours a week, but I just want to make sure that's reasonable. It can vary based on week, but I just want to give my job a sense of what to expect on average.

I'm specifically interested in hearing about HKS, if anyone has anything to add--is the courseload really as rigorous as they purport? Not feasible to work while in school?

Edited by Dinosaur7

@MollyB it sounds like you have some really good insights into the Harris MPP - can I PM you with some questions about it?  I've been put in touch with a current MPP student through Team Harris but I'd be interested to see what you think from your friends' experiences.

I'm not an MPP student (though I have taken some public policy courses), but I am getting my master's while working full time.  I did one semester of full time school plus full time work, and I survived.  It was a bit much for me, since I have a family, but it is doable.  I have since switched back to part-time study (2 courses vs. 3) though.  Depending on the school, it may not actually cost more to get your master's part time.  At GW, we pay by the unit, and if you do summer school, you can graduate only a couple months later than everyone else.  Just throwing it out there.

I agree with the idea that it is good for resume continuity to keep working at least some amount.  You will end up with an additional two years of experience.  Plus, you know what they say: the easiest way to get a job is to already have a job (or something like that).  Definitely try to network as much as possible through your current job, as this will be very helpful in your post-master's job search.

I think 20 hours/week is quite feasible.  Many people work at least that much without the luxury of telecommuting, i.e. add 1+ hour each day they need to go between work and home/campus.  If you just need to worry about getting to class and back home it eliminates a lot of hassle.  GPPI and many other programs don't have class on Fridays so you are guaranteed to be able to put in at least one full 8 hour day.  Also keep in mind that evening program students work 40 hours while taking 2 classes, so taking 4 classes and working 20 hours seems easy in comparison.