Is Elliott worth sticker price?

The Mark

I'm curious what type of math background is needed to handle the quantitative component of the program. I had no real math courses in undergrad, just a couple of generic liberal arts math classes. If I accept the offer, I'm going to enroll in a introductory statistics course this summer. Do you think that would suffice? Or is there higher level math like calculus involved?  

Yes, introductory stats is the key.  Most of the econ classes for the ITIP program do not require calculus (some professors offer it optionally).  The quant requirement is essentially for a statistics/econometrics course above introductory stats.  I only took minimal math and intro to stats as an undergrad, and I had a five year break between graduation and starting at GW, so the lack of math background is not a killer.  Obviously, the more you already know, the higher the level of classes you can take.

Could you elaborate on that? I figured one of the main selling points of SAIS was their strong Econ program. 

Yes, SAIS is known for its econ component, which is required.  I do not recall all the specifics of the SAIS curriculum, but I believe you have to have one concentration in international econ and one in another field.  The ITIP program is all international econ, and you can focus in specific areas of that.  I think I have taken three non-econ courses, and even those were econ-related (international political economy, international business, etc.).  I have enjoyed the ability to focus more narrowly on econ (and trade in particular) in the ITIP program.  Note - this is different than the more general IA program.

I just checked the SAIS site and it seems that their curriculum has changed a little in the two years since I was applying, so now there may be a greater opportunity to focus on econ exclusively.

You got in because it's not particularly competitive. That's pretty much the bottom line, and no one I know who has gone there thinks it's worth the sticker price. Literally every GWU grad I met was in an internship that is usually filled by an undergrad, and every other one I met was in an entry-level position usually meant for people with no graduate degree. I think DC is oversaturated with GWU/American grads, and they aren't particularly experienced and so hog up a lot of entry-level positions. I'm sorry to put it bluntly, but it'd suck to take up that much debt just for you to realize that this is the GWU reputation in DC. I think if you're funded to go there, you can do reasonably well with a GWU degree, so I'd suggest getting relevant work experience.

I think this is a bit harsh.  I agree with some of these points, but let me put a different spin on it.  I agree that GW is less competitive to get in to that SAIS or GT, but I do not think that means it is not worth the sticker price.  Many careers (particularly in IR and public affairs) require a grad degree eventually.  If SAIS or GT are not options for whatever reason (cost, fit, not accepted, etc.), then I think GW is a good option.  To the point that GW grads are all in internships or entry-level positions, this is not accurate from my personal experience.  I do think grad students everywhere are having a hard time now (look at the market for JDs and MBAs), and it is not suprising that people just out of school with little professional experience have to take lower-level jobs.  That said, all of the students that I know of in my program that graduated last year have a job in the field. 

I have to disagree that GW has a low reputation in DC.  It is true that there are a lot of GW grads out there (perhaps due to the higher admit rates?), but many of them are in high-level positions in government or the private sector.  They obviously do not look down on fellow GW grads.  There is a very large alumni network in the area; I work full time and I am always running into GW grads through my job.  So I think there is value in the GW brand.  Obviously I may be biased, but I was making the same calculations a couple years ago, and I do not regret choosing GW.

As I have said before, I also think that it is very important to be in DC if you are interested in working here at some point, and working/interning here is critical.

I think this is a bit harsh.  I agree with some of these points, but let me put a different spin on it.  I agree that GW is less competitive to get in to that SAIS or GT, but I do not think that means it is not worth the sticker price.  Many careers (particularly in IR and public affairs) require a grad degree eventually.  If SAIS or GT are not options for whatever reason (cost, fit, not accepted, etc.), then I think GW is a good option.  To the point that GW grads are all in internships or entry-level positions, this is not accurate from my personal experience.  I do think grad students everywhere are having a hard time now (look at the market for JDs and MBAs), and it is not suprising that people just out of school with little professional experience have to take lower-level jobs.  That said, all of the students that I know of in my program that graduated last year have a job in the field. 

I have to disagree that GW has a low reputation in DC.  It is true that there are a lot of GW grads out there (perhaps due to the higher admit rates?), but many of them are in high-level positions in government or the private sector.  They obviously do not look down on fellow GW grads.  There is a very large alumni network in the area; I work full time and I am always running into GW grads through my job.  So I think there is value in the GW brand.  Obviously I may be biased, but I was making the same calculations a couple years ago, and I do not regret choosing GW.

As I have said before, I also think that it is very important to be in DC if you are interested in working here at some point, and working/interning here is critical.

Fair enough. That's just my anecdotal personal experience (the plural of anecdote isn't data etc.). I think it's a fine choice if you're funded, and I do know people who've used GWU degrees very successfully. That said, I still think the average GWU student does tend to be rather inexperienced given that GWU really doesn't have an experience threshold for entry, but there are top students at every school that go on to do amazing things. It has more to do with their personal drive and ambition than the school itself, no matter what school you attend. For me personally, the only school I think might be worth paying out-of-pocket for is HKS, but I agree that not having a graduate degree is a barrier to entry no matter what. It's tough.

What about deferring admission for one year and using that time to work? I would get additional work experience and I could put some money aside (if I work where my parents live I would not have to pay a rent). Do you know Elliott students who have done that?

What about deferring admission for one year and using that time to work? I would get additional work experience and I could put some money aside (if I work where my parents live I would not have to pay a rent). Do you know Elliott students who have done that?

From what I've read, most schools won't let you defer for purely financial reasons. I've seen reasons for unique fellowship opportunities and/or family emergencies mentioned, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I would DEFINITELY reapply next year and take the rest of this year to improve GREs, get more relevant work experience, really polish my SOP, and work with my recommenders so they can write amazing LORs. Also, and this is just as important as the former things, take a lot more time to apply to external funding sources and named fellowships/scholarships at the schools to which you apply. That way, even if the school itself doesn't give you a scholarship, you have other sources on which to rely. As part of that, you should save up money for the next year.

I didn't apply to many external funding sources, which is one of my biggest regrets this past application cycle. I got in to every school to which I applied (for which I am very grateful and honored), but not being able to fund SAIS or SIPA is equivalent to rejection for me. I am not paying sticker price for any school - even the most prestigious IR schools. I am tremendously lucky to have been given a half tution scholarship at Fletcher. Had I not gotten that I would have done exactly what I just adivsed you to do.